Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Garage Queen - dino oil changes; every 12 months truly necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 02:48 PM
Dutch W.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Queen - dino oil changes; every 12 months truly necessary?

Hello all,
I was wondering if cars that don't get driven a lot ie less than the 3k mi/year (but get started say, at least every 2 weeks) really need their dino oil changed every 12 months. I seem to remember in Germany that the government came out with a study saying that if you weren't racking up the miles necessitating an oil change that every 24 months was enough....

I'm sure some people will say 'just change it' or 'better safe than sorry', but I'd like them to back it up with a noted reason rather than just being cautious (which is a fine reason -- just not the reason for my posting).

Also, I noted someone said he had changed the oil before putting up his car for the winter; other than having it done in the spring so that its ready to drive, does it really matter if the oil during the winter storage is older rather than newer?

Anything different in terms of this topic regarding synthetic oil?

Old 11-03-2001, 04:28 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Garage Queen - dino oil changes; every 12 months truly necessary? (Dutch W.)

I drain the oil before (read day before or day of) I put it in storage, that way no impurites (dirt and such) in the oil when I put it in storage. I also drain it when it comes out of storage. I think of it as cheep insurance. I would change the oil every 12 months but that is me
Old 11-03-2001, 05:45 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Default Re: Garage Queen - dino oil changes; every 12 months truly necessary? (Dutch W.)

I change mine just before it goes into hibernation. It doesn't sit the entire winter but does sit up to 4 - 6 weeks if the roads are bad. Then I don't take it out unless I'm driving it long enough to get the oil up to temp to avoid any possible problems with condensation. When spring comes I just go by mileage again for the next oil change.

I'd avoid starting it unless you run it long enough to warm up and then I'd still rather drive it to circulate the other fluids: P/S, tranny, rear end etc.

If you just start it for a few minutes then I'd do the oil just before storage and again when you bring it out again. That's only twice a year and with dino oil that's not big enough $$ to worry about.

[Modified by Blue 92, 4:46 PM 11/3/2001]
Old 11-03-2001, 11:59 PM
turbota
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't have anything to back this up its just my opinion. I think 2 years is a long time to go between oil changes. Just because the milage isn't racked up impurities do build up in the oil. I use Mobil 1 at the beginning of the season, and change it with dino oil before I put it away, than use fresh Mobil1 when it comes out in the spring. I probably put 2500 to 3K miles per year on it.
Old 11-04-2001, 12:38 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Don't store it! Drive it!!!!!

Anyway, the recommendation I've always heard was 3,000 miles or every 3 months.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Queen - dino oil changes; every 12 months truly necessary?

Quick Reply: Garage Queen - dino oil changes; every 12 months truly necessary?