C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Fuel Pump Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:14 PM
marcus88
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Removal

Anyone with information on removing and replacing the fuel pump on a 1992? Also where is the fuel pump relay located?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Remove the gas door lid, (4 torx). Then remove the rubber cup (carefully, they like to tear). Disconnect the three hoses, and then remove the 10mm screws that hold the assembly in. Carefully remove the assembly, turning it to get it out. I'm not sure where the relay is, if someone else doesn't step up, I'll look it up.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

On my 87 the relay is by the wiper motor. 93 ??? Before you take out the pump, clean off the area around the filler so the dust and dirt does not end up in the tank.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:51 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

isn't the fuel pump relay right next to the 4x3 relay?

If so, it is a rectangular black box by the Brake Booster. There are two that look the same.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:00 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by marcus88
Anyone with information on removing and replacing the fuel pump on a 1992? Also where is the fuel pump relay located?
There are 2 fuel pump relays on a 92. Relay #1 is located on the passenger side under the dash on the "Multi-use Relay Bracket". Of the 5 relays attached to the bracket, the fule pump relay is the middle one.

The other relay is below the driver's side of the dash near the ALDL connector. There are two relays there, the one towards the center console is the Fuel Pump Relay #2 (the other is the Bose amp relay).
Old 02-28-2008, 04:18 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by marcus88
Anyone with information on removing and replacing the fuel pump on a 1992?
From a past thread.

Originally Posted by Eakster
I replaced the fuel pump today, fixing the problem, and wanted to add to the great info here that was very helpful. Had a little more advice from a friend with a shop too who lent me a fuel pressure gauge and gave me help with diagnosis.
Here's what I did:

-Checked fuel pump fuse, swapped with internal lights fuse (20A), tried to start - no start.
-Bought a voltmeter, pulled an injector plug, checked for volts across plug with key in On position - had voltage.
- Pulled fuel pump fuse and turned over to clear system of fuel, attached fuel pressure gauge to schrader valve, replaced fuse, turned key to On position, checked pressure - zero fuel pressure.

I was pretty sure it was the fuel pump at this point.
Went to local NAPA store, bought fuel pump, pump loom and fuel pump sock. The NAPA guy asked me if it's true what they say about owning a Corvette being a lifestyle. Maybe it was my Vette cap and sweaty dirty face I told him all about Corvette Forum

I the followed procedure in my work manual and on this excellent thread from Frizlefrak here

It was a fairly easy job for a first-timer, I just took my time and tried not to drop things in the gas tank or blow myself up. The hardest part was getting the hoses off the pump assembly. I bought the wiring loom too but decided not to try it after reading I had to splice 2 wires together. I examined the existing wires and connections - they seemed pretty good to not take the risk with my horrible wiring skills!
Pics:

Taped up gas nozzle hole and cleaned up area after removing gas door and rubber surround

Had to take a trip to Autozone to get Torx bits to get the gas door screws out

This hose clip was a bitch and took a lot of pursuading with a screwdriver

Pump assembly removed, taping up hole above lake of gasoline

Pump assembly out

Another view, checking wiring positions

Removing harness - these clips need to be pushed in to remove plug

Checking original sock position before removal

Old pump on left, replacement on right

Completed assembly with new pump and sock

Now turning the key I could hear the pump whizzing up, turned it over and she instantly started up!

Thanks all and see you on the road

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump Removal

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Removal