Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Do Museum Build Sheets include engine number?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 03:45 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Do Museum Build Sheets include engine number?

The title says it all: Do the Corvette Museum Build Sheets include the engine number (if the year makes a difference I'm interested in the answer for my '94 coupe).

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,997 Likes on 4,813 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

what do you mean by engine number? on there website they have sample pictures of them.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:08 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the reply.

I had looked at the Corvette Museum site before posting and didn't find any pictures of the build sheets but if you could give me a specific URL I sure would appreciate it.

As to engine number I mean the number on the engine so I can be certain the engine in my car is the original.

John
Old 08-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,997 Likes on 4,813 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

to determin if your engin is original the numbers should match your vin number. but numbers matching on new corvettes is not what it means for the C1,C2s, and early C3. but I never looked at a C4 build sheet but all the other ones I have looked at never had what number the engine is
Old 08-15-2008, 04:26 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I am looking at the build sheet for my 86. The only reference I see for engine is in block 26 and it says ZJS. There is no other reference for just engine. It has one for engine mounts and engine harness.

There is nothing else that seems to refer to an engine number.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:02 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks everyone. I hoped for a different answer but it's not to be.

John
Old 08-16-2008, 01:52 PM
dreamer2468
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Just looked at mine, and it has ZXA for the engine, and numbers for the engine harness.

Estimated annual fuel cost? $900.00

I wish!
Laura
Old 08-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by AustinJohn
Thanks for the reply.

I had looked at the Corvette Museum site before posting and didn't find any pictures of the build sheets but if you could give me a specific URL I sure would appreciate it.

As to engine number I mean the number on the engine so I can be certain the engine in my car is the original.

John
As the poster below said your engine should have at least the partial VIN stamped on it.

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
to determin if your engin is original the numbers should match your vin number. but numbers matching on new corvettes is not what it means for the C1,C2s, and early C3. but I never looked at a C4 build sheet but all the other ones I have looked at never had what number the engine is
Old 08-16-2008, 07:22 PM
StevieK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just received a build sheet today for our 94 Convertible from the Corvette museum and I don't see any reference to an engine S/N. The only thing I see is numbers for VDN and CSN (whatever they mean). There is a Engine Code of ZWA but that's about it.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:01 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Blue 92
As the poster below said your engine should have at least the partial VIN stamped on it.
Many, many thanks Blue 92 for your persistence in helping me to understand and apply Nowhere Man's message but now that I understand it, I've been lead to another mystery.

FSM page 0A-3 Figure 4 (copied below) shows the VIN under the Ignition Coil Module and says "Stick-on labels attached to the engine, laser etching or stampings on the engine block indicate the engine unit number or build date code. The engine is stamped with a partial vehicle identification number. The stamping contains nine positions: Position one is the GM division identifier: 1=Chevrolet; Position two is the model year: R=1994; Position three is the Corvette assembly plant code: 5=Bowling Green; Positions four through nine represent the assembly plant sequential number for the vehicle".

I pulled the Ignition Coil Module but found nothing in the indicated area nor anything indicating something was ever there. But stamped directly behind the Ignition Coil Module I did find "03443" which I assume is a build date code although I have no idea how to decode it.

I've looked in other places on the engine for a possible engine unit number but haven't found anything so if you or others have any ideas, I would appreciate them.

Thanks!

John

Old 08-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran

The VIN should be stamped into the engine block on a pad just in front of the cylinder head. Right where that small black rectangle is one the graphic.

But to be honest I haven't checked one since I had my 71 C3.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:02 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Blue 92 - Thanks for sticking with me. I was able to get what's below so far. Maybe tomorrow I can get the rest.

Thanks again!

John

Old 08-17-2008, 10:01 AM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 289 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for, but if you are looking for originality of the engine to your vehicle, the VIN should be stamped right there where you are looking. If you suspect a replacement engine the numbers in your last picture appears to prove that you have the correct engine, at least for an automatic transmission, due to the ZWA stamping.

Like someone above said, the only reference to the engine on the build sheet is block #20 ENGINE; mine says ZWA. My 94 is an automatic. 6 speeds might have a different code, I don't have a manual transmission car build sheet to verify this. Is yours an automatic?

Hope this helps in your search.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran

I peeked at at the build sheet for my 6 speed 92. Block 26, ENG shows code ZUB.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:12 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by teebee1994
I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for, but if you are looking for originality of the engine to your vehicle, the VIN should be stamped right there where you are looking. If you suspect a replacement engine the numbers in your last picture appears to prove that you have the correct engine, at least for an automatic transmission, due to the ZWA stamping.
Many thanks to you Teebee 1994 and all the other folks who have chimed in to help me. Your question as to what I'm looking for deserves an answer and here it is.

I have long suspected my engine might not be the original because of some strange electrical splicings, among other things. I originally posted asking whether the build sheets listed the engine VIN because I thought with the original engine VIN I could check that against the existing engine VIN and answer my question. Instead, what you guys have helped me understand is it works just the other way round: the build sheets don't list the engine VIN but the engine VIN references the Master VIN and that's the way to confirm numbers.

So armed with that info I removed the ignition coil module but could not see any numbers on the number pad until I cleaned it up and found what was in the picture I attached last night which as teebee 1994 said, at least confirmed I had the correct engine for my '94 automatic.

Further cleaning this morning made clear that someone intentionally removed the second set of numbers from the number pad (see the picture added below) and thus I assume I do not have the original engine. Who removed the numbers and why and when, I don't know; I guess it just adds to the Corvette mystique. And, in the meantime, it runs very well.

I checked on the lower left block near the oil filter for what others have suggested might be an "optional" set of numbers but found nothing except what appeared to be casting numbers.

Again, thanks to everyone.

John

Old 08-17-2008, 12:53 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

John:

Attached are the factory numbers for your 94 Vette. The number that you are displaying is V0204ZWA. I suspect that the V = Corvette; 0204 are the last four digits of your VIN and the ZWA = 350 ci, 300 hp with an automatic transmission. I'll check with my friends at NCRS and see what they say about your engine number. (click to enlarge photo)

More later....
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2008, 01:09 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the reply pmihaltian.

According to what I read there are two sets of numbers with one (the only one I have) being engine plant, build date and engine usage in the sequence "VxxxxZZZ".

Thus in my case (V0204ZWA) "V"=Flint engine plant, "0204"=build date (Feb 4) and ZWA=engine usage. But I'm quoting other folks.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Do Museum Build Sheets include engine number?

Old 08-17-2008, 01:15 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the reply pmihaltian.

According to what I read there are two sets of numbers with one (the only one I have) being engine plant, build date and engine usage in the sequence "VxxxxZZZ".

Thus in my case (V0204ZWA) "V"=Flint engine plant, "0204"=build date (Feb 4) and ZWA=engine usage. But I'm quoting other folks.

John

John:

I suspect that if the 0204 is a date code, it is a Julian Date which would equate to January 20th 1994.

I have asked my friends at NCRS to opine on your number and I'll let you know what they say just as soon as I get an answer from them.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
AustinJohn
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Many thanks, pmihaltian!

John
Old 08-17-2008, 05:31 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay, John. Here is what I found out. The consensus of 4 NCRS judges, several of whom own your model year, said that the pad looks unaltered and fine to them. They did say that the VIN number is on the driver's side rear block just below where the cylinder head mounts. Here is their direct quote:

Re: 1994 engine pad stamping?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a picture of my VIN pad for 1992 LT1 1G1YY23P5N5109704. You can see the VIN number. This pad is on the rear shelf of the block behind the left bank. It is HARD to see. I had to relocate the AIR hose and wiring harness behind the driver's cylinder head to get a good look at it. If you're lucky (?!), your LT1 will leak oil, and it will be covered in grease and not all rusty...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Do Museum Build Sheets include engine number?