C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ignition and Pick-up Coil Matching

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 02:52 PM
barrypaul2005
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Ignition and Pick-up Coil Matching

I've had intermittent start problems(with no spark) for years and need advice on the pick-up coil and ignition coil.

Service manual says : "Intermittent no-starts could be the result of incorrect polarity between the ignitition coil and the pick-up coil. The color of the pick-up coil connector has to be yellow of one ignition coil leads is yellow. If the ignition coil has w a white lead, any pick-up coil connector except yellow is OK"

From: http: //members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Ig...System-EST.pdf

I checked and my pick-up coil is yellow (on the N connector) and green (on the P connector) which is not what the picture shows (yellow on the P) on above link ... and my ignition coil is red/black and white.

So do I need to change my ignition coil to one with yellow wires? I'm confused in that the pick-up coil is yellow but not on the 'P' connector and there's no mention of this anywhere (always yellow on the 'P' connector).

paul
Old 01-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 769 Likes on 551 Posts

Give us a little more information, starting with what model year you have.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:11 PM
barrypaul2005
Instructor

It's an '89 all stock but the inginion coil has been replaced.

I'm thinking of just getting a new accel distributor ACC-59107C ($149) which has a pick-up coil in it.

I'm sure this is too subtle an issue - since there the confusion that the current pick-up wiring (yellow on the N-connector) just isn't covered anywhere. ANy thoughtsd will help,

thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe it's been forgotten over the Years, but it's covered - as shown in the Service Manual - in most publications dealing with the HEI. Yes, you need the correct colored wires! Most of the aftermarket suppliers required this info (at one time) before they would sell you a new one. Go to NAPA and describe what you need - a competent counterperson should be able to find it.

As to your intermittent no start - it may have nothing to do with the pickup coil - in fact it would be somewhat unusal because if the polarity is wrong, the spark is too weak whether it starting or running - But most will show a spark when you crank it. No spark is no reference which would indicate a wiring problem - particularly if it's intermittent. After that, I suspect the injectors or the CTS signal. Check injector coil resistance hot/cold. Check the CTS signal with a scanner after it's sat overnight. It should be close to ambient.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:22 PM
barrypaul2005
Instructor

Thanks for that advice about the pick-up coil - anybody know why the polarity would give a weak spark ... I'd assume it either detects or not magnetically.

Like a doof I bought the accel 59107C distributor and iot has vacuum advance - what '89 has vacuum advance. ughh. Free shipping ... but that's one way.

More info:My car has never stalled or given a rough ride. It has in the past had intermittent start problems (crank but no spark) so I replaced everything (rotor/cap/terminal boards) all but the pick-up coil. After i replaced the terminal boards the car was fine for 2 years - but the left me starnded last week. Only way to styart was to re-grease the ingnition module - which is saying just messing with all the stuff. It was frustrating to then see that the pick-up had a yellow wire but onb the N connector. Manual says yellow on pick-up coil 'P' connector with ignition coil with a yellow - but nothing about yellow on the 'N' pick-up coil.

Red herring perhaps - but I'll replace the entire distributor for peace of mind. I convinced myself that if I get +12 V ignition to the distributor and there is no spark (no ECM codes either) then all's that's left is the pick-up coil - otherwise if the pick-up coil was OK, then the HEI could run even without the ECM. The only catch there is it's an intermittent pick up coil (I did a resistive wiggle test and it was a solid 800 ohms) then why it never stalls?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition and Pick-up Coil Matching

Quick Reply: Ignition and Pick-up Coil Matching