Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need help tracking down this fluid level sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help tracking down this fluid level sensor.

I can't seem to find it in any of the major three parts stores (Advance, Oreilly's and Autozone) and after the wheel lock key incident I know better than to try a dealer.

Does anyone actually make new brake fluid level sensors? Mine's in dodgy condition. It's 23 years old, and has already given me fits twice in thinking I had brake issues. (new calipers, new master cylinder, pads and rotors. Complete fluid flush, and rebleeding of all the brakes and the stupid thing still comes on by it's lonesome) When I've piddled with the sensor by screwing it in and out, the light has turned off each time and stayed off for a while.

My vette's an 89, with the base brake package.

Could it be the DOT4 Synthetic throwing it off?
The sensor itself has all kinds of wear marks on the spring, and the rubber seal near the nipple is hardly what I would call supple or fresh.

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 01-21-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
I can't seem to find it in any of the major three parts stores (Advance, Oreilly's and Autozone) and after the wheel lock key incident I know better than to try a dealer.

Does anyone actually make new brake fluid level sensors? Mine's in dodgy condition. It's 23 years old, and has already given me fits twice in thinking I had brake issues. (new calipers, new master cylinder, pads and rotors. Complete fluid flush, and rebleeding of all the brakes and the stupid thing still comes on by it's lonesome) When I've piddled with the sensor by screwing it in and out, the light has turned off each time and stayed off for a while.

My vette's an 89, with the base brake package.

Could it be the DOT4 Synthetic throwing it off?
The sensor itself has all kinds of wear marks on the spring, and the rubber seal near the nipple is hardly what I would call supple or fresh.
It sounds like you're describing a "pressure warning switch" and it's still available. If you're asking for a "level sensor" you'll get "no where"!! I believe '89 it's right side top at an angle towards the front of the cylinder. Level sensors came later.

Not to be blunt but if you walk into anyplace with an attitude it affects the level of service. I don't know anything about your wheel-lock experience but sooner or later you'll need a dealer for something. I'd try to establish a relationship, it will and can pay-off in the end.

Do you need them now? Maybe not!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-21-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
It sounds like you're describing a "pressure warning switch" and it's still available. If you're asking for a "level sensor" you'll get "no where"!! I believe '89 it's right side top at an angle towards the front. Level sensors came later.

Not to be blunt but if you walk into anyplace with an attitude it affects the level of service. I don't know anything about your wheel-lock experience but sooner or later you'll need a dealer for something. I'd try to establish a relationship it will and can pay-off in the end.

Do you need them now? Maybe not!
It's the sensor on the master cylinder that seems to be giving me the issue. I looked it up as a level sensor and as a pressure sensor, Advance and Autozone at least don't carry them. I kinda gave up on the pressure sensor after that. The online stores version of what they have instore isn't showing one either so far.

I usually call ahead before going to a dealer. Our local dealer is well... to say they suck is abit of an understatement. They once tried to charge me 150 for a radiator cap for my 3.8 Firebird. (and that wasn't even the problem with the car.) Back when I had an issue with getting the tool to take the locking screw off the center caps they couldn't even get the part. I wound up going to ebay for an aftermarket one. And drilled out the center screws with carbide drills and took them out with EZ outs. Wound up putting my rims and tires from the bird on the vette still.

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 01-21-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The part number for the master cylinder brake balance switch is 10074131. That's for all years except 1996, which didn't have one -- at least that's what I've heard.

The connector that goes on that switch is unavailable. Not even the connector/pigtail suppliers have that one. The only option is a used one.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The part number for the master cylinder brake balance switch is 10074131. That's for all years except 1996, which didn't have one -- at least that's what I've heard.

The connector that goes on that switch is unavailable. Not even the connector/pigtail suppliers have that one. The only option is a used one.
Thanks for the part # now I all I have to do is track one down

For the pigtail, I think I'll just have to carefully take it apart and clean it very carefully if I can get a new sensor.

So far the light is still off (for now. Who knows when whatever it was that got it in a tizzy will upset it again). Now there's not so much of a rush to find the part. Thanks again for the part #

Get notified of new replies

To Need help tracking down this fluid level sensor.

Quick Reply: Need help tracking down this fluid level sensor.