C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Leaky 1984

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:07 AM
mike2977
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaky 1984

Repainted the 1984 (pictures in the garage), replaced all the replaceable weather stripping, but still get rain and wind leaks; especially on the passenger side.

I went back to the body shop that did the work (great guys,) and they spent several hours adjusting the windows on the mechanism inside the doors. It appears that the leading edge near the top of both sides just doesn't make good contact with the new weatherstripping which is in its proper place.

Short of getting some U shaped trim and putting it over the leading edge of the windows while I'm driving or washing the car and removing it otherwise, I need some suggestions if others have corrected their cars under similar conditions.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:45 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

my first question would be, is the windshield original?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:37 AM
J W Drew
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Mike,
I had my 85 A pillar seal replaced and had the same problem. Turns out the seal I bought was the problem. Ordered another seal from Wilcox and the problem was resolved. I was told "if your seal comes in a plastic wrapper it will be inferior, if it comes in a box you got a good one". By the way, still waiting for an update on the mufflers.
Bill
Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 AM
mike2977
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
my first question would be, is the windshield original?
As far as I can tell from the very complete maintenance records I received with the car, it's the original windshield.

No water comes in from around the windshield.

At the body shop, they use a milky colored water in a spray bottle and spray around the closed door and windows. I sat in the car as the technician sprayed, and could see the water dripping down the inside top front quarter of the passenger's window with it closed 'firmly' against the weatherstripping.

He had removed the inside door panel and was adjusting the window in the frame. Did that several times. Still leaks. It almost appears that the window's shape is off along that top, front, corner and doesn't set in the door frame correctly. The new weatherstripping looks good. Got it from Zip-Corvette. It could be the wrong shape too, I guess.

------------edit--------------
Yes Zip-Corvette sent the weatherstripping in plastic bags. I guess that could be my problem; hope not.

Last edited by mike2977; 11-07-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: update

Get notified of new replies

To Leaky 1984

Quick Reply: Leaky 1984