ynot d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when I changed mine this summer the trans oil part # delco 88900333. 4.4 pints
Old 10-22-2014, 03:39 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

I don't believe the GM Synchromesh product was ever approved for use in the ZF when the ZF product was discontinued. Many avoided it. I don't believe I've seen a GM statement that contradicts that. Is the current GM product different and approved? Don't have the slightest idea.

Even the Pennzoil product still doesn't mention the use of the product in place of or where GM # 1052931 is specified. This is I believe the latest Pennzoil spec:

http://www.pennzoil.com/wp-content/u...rans-Fluid.pdf

Even Royal Purple who has a "synthetic" Synchromesh product still mentions the use of their HPS or XPR 5W-30 engine oil product as a fill for the GM # 1052931

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/a..._Reference.pdf

Granted lubricants have changed substantially through the years but it might make for an interesting call to the manufacturer of the lubricant you wish to use. I believe that Amsoil does now mention the GM # 1052931 but I haven't looked and I tend to avoid the Amsoil products just because of the "shove" they seem to use to sell the products.

Just sayin'
Old 10-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Richard Raichert
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 94 6 sp

Originally Posted by mixalive
This seems to be a heavily debated topic. I am currently running Amsoil Synchromesh. I am not very happy with the product. It works fine in the cold weather. But in the warm weather, it works fine until the fluids get hot. Then I get grinding going from first to second. I am checking this post to see if there are any updates on recommendations. I did a search on Rockland Standard Gear and they recommend GM 1062931 and Castrol RS only. It looks like the ZF Doc is being vague on recommendations at the moment.
Dizwiz.. What GM part number Synchromesh are you using?
Local in our car club worked at GM and mainly on Vetts for 20 years. He says to stick with GM 5W-30 (GM part no 1052931) syncromesh. I have the origonal owners manual and that is what it calls for also. Do also check the Hyd fluid resevoir. My clutch was engaging at the floor (to low) and I checked the resevoir and it was at add. I added just a little and the clutch now engages at a much higher level.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:40 PM
C4tothefloor
Advanced

Seems like Amsoil or Penzoil is the preferred choice for the ZF fluid replacement. Does anyone have any experience with one working better over the other specifically to help with syncro issues??
Old 10-26-2014, 08:10 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF) (Product Code MTFQT)

Hope this isn't taken as trying to "shove" the AMSOIL MTF, but for any that would like to try it, more than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 10-26-2014, 02:57 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Only a petroleum/chemical engineer could answer this, but I've wondered why a high performing Motorcycle engine oil wouldn't be a good replacement for the OEM recommendation. Why?
*It's engine oil that you can get in the right weight ranges.
*Since motorcycle engines share their oil w/the gearbox, the oil has EP additives in it to manage those conditions.

IDK why I'm posting this...just something that I've wondered about for this trans.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:29 PM
C4tothefloor
Advanced

Hey guys, so just an update...

I decided to go with the Pennzoil Syncromesh MTF and overall I feel like the shifts are much more smooth. However I'm still getting a slight grind when going from first to second gear. I'm really disappointed but I guess all signs point to trans replacement at this point.

Thanks for all the insight and suggestions though everyone.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:15 AM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Before sending your trans for that $2800 rebuild, try the BMW Castrol product as recommended by ZF Doc. Couldn't hurt.. It worked for me with the same symptoms.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Boy it's hard to get clarity on this. On the one hand;
Originally Posted by dizwiz24
In my case, it was using the bmw 10w-60 crap instead of the fluid that the factory says should be in there.

When i went to change that crap out, there was all kinds of bronze glitter in my fluid. (when changing the correct fluid out, the old fluid is virtually clear)

The solution was simply replace the bmw castrol 10w_60 crap with gm syncromesh which is what gm recommends for zf6.

Once i did this, the grinded shifts went away.
Originally Posted by Klondike
When I drained the BMW 60 weight muck out of my balky ZF6, a lot of brass sparkle came out. AmsOil made it shift like butter.

THen on the other hand:
try the BMW Castrol product as recommended by ZF Doc. Couldn't hurt.. It worked for me with the same symptoms.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:44 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

How much clearer can it be? Try all the cheap solutions before the expensive final solution.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:38 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

If your clutch isn't fully releasing, you are forcing the synchronizers to overcome clutch drag to align the next gear. They can synchronize (align) the gears with a freewheeling clutch disk, but if it's dragging on the flywheel or pressure plate, you're making it work much harder than it is designed to do and it will quickly wear them out. Changing the trans fluid may help temporally but it's not a fix. You need to check the master cyl. level or bleed the slave cyl. to get all the air out of the system.

Last edited by Klondike; 10-28-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: clairification
Old 10-29-2014, 08:29 AM
C4tothefloor
Advanced

If your clutch isn't fully releasing, you are forcing the synchronizers to overcome clutch drag to align the next gear. They can synchronize (align) the gears with a freewheeling clutch disk, but if it's dragging on the flywheel or pressure plate, you're making it work much harder than it is designed to do and it will quickly wear them out. Changing the trans fluid may help temporally but it's not a fix. You need to check the master cyl. level or bleed the slave cyl. to get all the air out of the system.
Have you found a preferred bleed method and is there anyway to tell when it is fully bled?? I have actually replaced my clutch master and slave as they were original to the car and I've been told fail over time. My understanding is that it's a sort of "self-bleed" system as far is if you don't have any bubbles in the fluid and the pedal is not spongy then you are fully bled...is this not correct? The part that does not make sense to me is why is this happening in only 2nd gear and not all of them??
Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

If your pedal is not spongy, that is pretty strong evidence that it's properly bled.

If you only grind in 1 gear, (2nd gear, in your case) that is pretty strong evidence that there is an issue w/the synchro for just that one gear.

IIWM, I'd try a few different oils (cheap) and see if one makes it drive acceptably...then I'd drive it as long as I could and prepare ($$$) for a rebuild in the near future.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:45 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

You can change the trans oil and make sure the clutch hydraulics are in proper operating condition- if it still grinds, you need hard parts internally I'm afraid.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:52 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

If your clutch isn't fully releasing, you are forcing the synchronizers to overcome clutch drag to align the next gear.
Which is a major reason the ZFs fail. The synchros are also the weak part of the ZFs,
Old 10-31-2014, 09:50 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Before sending your trans for that $2800 rebuild, try the BMW Castrol product as recommended by ZF Doc. Couldn't hurt.. It worked for me with the same symptoms.
I wouldn't waste another $50 in oil just to find out what the OP already knows. It shouldn't grind with any fresh trans oil.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:55 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

In my opinion.. The FIRST step should be to bleed that slave and get new fluid in there. Reverse bleed from the Slave it's very easy and much cheaper than changing the trans fluid.

Bill built up a brand new blue tag zf I bought when gm dumped inventory. It's for my 93 which I had an 8000rpm 388 stroker in. It has castrol 10w60 and the fluid came out clear. That car has a McLeod street twin and McLeod master and it was reverse bled.

Quick Reply: ZF6 Question/Help