C4 vs C7

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 02:31 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Things have changed for sure
Every LS type engine is ugly as sin but damn can they make some power. Takes an electrician to work on one now, or trade it in.
I think they look purdy with the covers off.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdsps
I don't car for the "big butt" look but I know that plays a big part in the performace aspect keeping it all glued to the ground.
It has more to do with crash standards and luggage space than "keeping the car glued to the ground."
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

There is no comparison between the C7 and C4. The C7 is light years ahead having about 30 years of additional technology packed into it. I love my C4 but come on folks our cars were great back in the day yet they are still today. The C7 reminds me back when the C4 was introduced...it blew the competitions doors off. The C7 is doing the same. You can have your favorites but no comparison as far as I'm concerned. I have a C3 as well and when I come out of my C3 and drive my C4 the C4 makes the C3 feel ancient. Same thing today with the C7. Though about buying one but I don't want to part with my C3 and C4....add them together and I guess we can say I have a C7!!

Last edited by MRANT212; 04-02-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:54 AM
12 inches
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2vette2
It's nice to enjoy both worlds.

I love them both, but I have to say there is no comparison between the two. The C7 has it hands down.
You are correct I nearly won a C7 in Las Vegas. Bit they stuck me in the money booth instead.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by MRANT212
The C7 reminds me back when the C4 was introduced...it blew the competitions doors off. The C7 is doing the same.
That characteristic is not unique to the C4...and certainly not the C7. Every generation 'Vette has been lauded as "Finally a world class sports car" that matches or beats all competition. The C7 isn't special or revolutionary in that way, compared to other gen 'Vettes of their respective times.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

I'd own both if I could! Comparing the two is ridiculous, but I will say that my C4 turns heads a lot more than it used...not as many C4's around these parts anymore since the newest C4 is 18 years old now!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:27 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
That characteristic is not unique to the C4...and certainly not the C7. Every generation 'Vette has been lauded as "Finally a world class sports car" that matches or beats all competition. The C7 isn't special or revolutionary in that way, compared to other gen 'Vettes of their respective times.
More like the difference between the C5 and C6. Now the C4 WAS revolutionary. It'll be interesting how the C7 will be thought of after the hype dies down (and the "new" wears off).
Old 04-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by zr1fred
It'll be interesting how the C7 will be thought of after the hype dies down (and the "new" wears off).
here too. I feel the C7 is evolutionary design wise (design of the car and hardware. Not "design" as used in books where they're really talking about Styling/aesthetics). To me, they "Added technology" to the C6 to make the C7. The whole car is philosophically just like the C6. Almost just like the C4, in fact. But "tech" was added to;
*Frame
*Engine
*Diff
*Aero (?)
*Interior/amenities/infotainment.
Otherwise, it's a very similar product to the C6 GS. Not putting it down; it's IS an awesome, economical, numbers producing machine. Is it good looking? Personal opinion. Is it FUN? IDK. Haven't driven one.

The C4 in contrast was a radical departure from the C3. The only philosophical similarities are the
*front/mid engine layout and style,
*engine type, mid trans,
*rear suspension
Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 AM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The C7 is probably the best Corvette yet, as it should be. If price wasn't a factor, I'd buy one in a second. However, just can't see myself letting go of my C5Z and can't afford both, yet.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:42 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm probably a few decades older than most of you and, to these old eyes, Chevrolet has never made a more attractive or more fun-to-drive Corvette than this one...

Last edited by DrDyno; 04-03-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDyno
I'm probably a few decades older than most of you and, to these old eyes, Chevrolet has never made a more attractive or more fun-to-drive Corvette than this one...

They are actually making them again, using C5's, C6's, and yes even C7's (<--saw one the other day!). And, most would argue that the new "clones" are much more fun to drive..
Old 04-03-2014, 02:09 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I remember complaints about the C6 and C5s interiors BOTH when they launched and shortly after.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:34 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree but the 58's are my favorite. I just can't fit! My eyes end up looking at the top of the windshield frame and I'm only 6' tall. Maybe I could fit in one with an old worn out driver's seat. Ha Ha.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:37 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

here too. I feel the C7 is evolutionary design wise (design of the car and hardware. Not "design" as used in books where they're really talking about Styling/aesthetics). To me, they "Added technology" to the C6 to make the C7. The whole car is philosophically just like the C6. Almost just like the C4, in fact. But "tech" was added to;
*Frame
*Engine
*Diff
*Aero (?)
*Interior/amenities/infotainment.
Otherwise, it's a very similar product to the C6 GS. Not putting it down; it's IS an awesome, economical, numbers producing machine. Is it good looking? Personal opinion. Is it FUN? IDK. Haven't driven one.

The C4 in contrast was a radical departure from the C3. The only philosophical similarities are the
*front/mid engine layout and style,
*engine type, mid trans,
*rear suspension
I was orginally expressing my personal preference. The advances made to the C7 make it a much better handling and responsive ride. I should have expressed myself better. I like the early C4 styling better than the C7 coupe. I might feel different when I see a vert in person. I do prefer the convertable C4s too but I own a coupe.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zr1fred
They are actually making them again, using C5's, C6's, and yes even C7's (<--saw one the other day!). And, most would argue that the new "clones" are much more fun to drive..
I am aware but... does the view from the driver's seat look this good?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:55 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tbirdsps
I saw my first C7 in person Friday evening. It was white like my C4. His interior was red/black mine is all black.

The things that struck me:

1. I don't like the proportions. It looks a bit awkward to me from just about every angle. He had the targa off. Just looks a little weird. The car definately looks better in pictures.

2. The engine compartment looks like every other car with plastic engine covers. Not interesting or attractive at all to me.

I know it has more power, better handling and it's certainly a fresh new car but I decided that my owning a C7 dream is now gone. I prefer my old C4 thank you very much.

I do realized that others have different taste and performance wants and there's nothing wrong with that. I figure I just saved myself about $60 grand by seeing one up close.
It's comparing apples and orange. If you want to tie up 60k and sit it in your garage ,no problem. Who would not like a c7? The minute the kids need college money or soccer mom needs a suv, the c7 will be sitting on a GM lot somewhere. At Carlisle, at the sales lots, I asked at least a half a dozen people why they were selling and that's the answer that I got. Went to Sport Chevrolet in MD. and noticed 8 or so nearly new looking c6s and I asked what's up with all Corvettes. I honestly thought they were factory executive cars. He said that people buy them and then need the money for something else and trade them for something more practical. I bought my c4 with this in mind because i have no desire to get rid of it for what I have in it. Maybe someday, would like to own a c6 or the the 7. Still think the c4 is one of the best looking cars out there. Would not challenge anything newer however, at a stop light. I have some friends with very hi performance German cars and they comment that at this level these are race cars--- not everyday street cars. Where I live, it would be difficult to take a c7 and push the pedal to the floor for more than 10 seconds. However, I still would like to try it sometime.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Philsphan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted pics of my 35th next to a silver c7 about a month ago.. I honestly think the c7 looks better in person then it does in pictures. Being 23 I don't have c7 $$$ lol. Some I have seen online marked up to high 70s-90k range. I do like the interior better then the c6 finally looks like a cockpit again. c6 does have the last true Corvette rear. Hey if you have 70k lying around why not get a c7.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 vs C7

Old 04-04-2014, 03:41 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by astepup;1586555789

[URL=http://s887.photobucket.com/user/astepup94/media/BHCC%202013/P7090069_zps11760b23.jpg.html
[/URL]

astepup said that
These are among my favorite pics on the Forum. And, as I look at them closely, the one glaring difference that jumps out at me is the absence of the C7's Dark Bling from the C4. If the C4 had blacked out louvers on the hood and blacked out side vents on the fenders and acrylic-covered projection beams for headlights, it would be as much a visual knockout as the C7. As they are, to me the C7 says "Race me!" while the C4 says "drive me to the opera."

And, for a guy who grew up with chrome grills, the absence of any grill on the C4 was the toughest visual for me to get used to. I'm surprised no one has come up with a chrome & black grill-looking placque for the C4's license plate holder. That, and the aforementioned bling would complete the C4's "Race me!" look... for me.

Oh, and I HATE the C7 tail lights! Vettes need round tail lights... just like Ferraris! Those "Transormer-looking" monstrosities are my only gripe with the rear end.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say I am not really a C7 guy; I thought the wide body C6's were flat out cool but they just didn't hit on anything I really care for with the new one. Oh well, I'm old school so I guess I'm not in GM's target market for the car anyway!
Old 04-04-2014, 04:44 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I am aware but... does the view from the driver's seat look this good?

That view is hard to beat.

Quick Reply: C4 vs C7