C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Loss of Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Vette6951
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of Power Steering

After a hard acceleration from a stop I lost the power steering for few seconds on my 96 Coupe. I checked fluid and the belt looks fine. I have not been able to get it to happen again. Any ideas? Is it safe to drive?
Old 09-20-2014, 07:46 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Probably the first indication that the internal seals of the steering rack are beginning to leak.
I had to replace the rack on my '96 several years ago as the power assit would just go away at times...usually when I was making a right turn and then come back. At first it was for just a second or two, but after several months the assist would go away for 10's of seconds. I finally just got a rebuilt rack and also replace the power steering pump at the sametime.

Not a difficult job at all.....easier than I expected.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 AM
Vette6951
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Probably the first indication that the internal seals of the steering rack are beginning to leak.
I had to replace the rack on my '96 several years ago as the power assit would just go away at times...usually when I was making a right turn and then come back. At first it was for just a second or two, but after several months the assist would go away for 10's of seconds. I finally just got a rebuilt rack and also replace the power steering pump at the sametime.

Not a difficult job at all.....easier than I expected.
Thanks for that response. I assume since it's an internal leak I would not see any visible evidence of it. I will start looking at rebuilt racks.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:40 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Sometimes the seals leak and the boots on the ends of the rack fill up with oil. Try squeezing the boots and see what happens.

Get notified of new replies

To Loss of Power Steering

Quick Reply: Loss of Power Steering