C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Starting the teardown

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 03:34 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51
DT that manifold and extras for $200 looks like a helluva deal. I'm a little bit jealous.
Win some lose some right? I bought a halo trim which arrived today, cracked.... SOAB
Old 02-24-2015, 03:42 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Right? Never fails. One thing goes great, another craps the bed.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:30 PM
professorX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dt86
Win some lose some right? I bought a halo trim which arrived today, cracked.... SOAB
Yup don't feel bad I ordered new emblems and received a new cracked front one. Luckily the eBay seller was great to deal with and sent me a new one free of charge.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 PM
B17Crew
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks man! I'm trying to make it beneficial for anyone who might do the same or at least need to do some of it. And I'm learning along the way as well. Everyone's input and help has been greatly appreciated! I think the rebuild will be even better since putting things back together the right way is even more important and more difficult than taking it all apart.
You are welcome! This thread would make a good stickie on the C4 home page!

B17Crew
Old 02-25-2015, 12:49 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by professorX
Yup don't feel bad I ordered new emblems and received a new cracked front one. Luckily the eBay seller was great to deal with and sent me a new one free of charge.
It is what it is. Im not getting upset over it. Contacted the seller and a resolution looks promising.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:47 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Well DT, I thought about you last night when I received and installed my new hood lift struts. You're becoming a C4 legend.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:06 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Well DT, I thought about you last night when I received and installed my new hood lift struts. You're becoming a C4 legend.
Phew, I wasnt sure where that was going at first...

How did that go? Notice a big difference?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:54 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

lol

Not as much as I thought it would. I read posts here that said they pulled the hood release and the hood just flew up. Well, mine must be built with more steel. It lifts easier, but the struts only take over about half-open. Which is fine, but I was hoping for more.

To install them I thought first maybe I could compress them with my hugeass Channelock water pump pliers. No joy; stupid idea I gave up on really quickly. So I installed the bottom part first, both sides, took the locking hood support strut loose from the hood (two little bolts), over-opened the hood, popped both lift strut ends on their pins and voila, all done. Well, re-attached the locking strut.

Got a little greasy from the oil that had drained from the old struts.

I noticed the car has gained 5 HP, too.

Last edited by 86C4Z51; 02-25-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:11 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

lol Not as much as I thought it would. I read posts here that said they pulled the hood release and the hood just flew up. Well, mine must be built with more steel. It lifts easier, but the struts only take over about half-open. Which is fine, but I was hoping for more. To install them I thought first maybe I could compress them with my hugeass Channelock water pump pliers. No joy; stupid idea I gave up on really quickly. So I installed the bottom part first, both sides, took the locking hood support strut loose from the hood (two little bolts), over-opened the hood, popped both lift strut ends on their pins and voila, all done. Well, re-attached the locking strut. Got a little greasy from the oil that had drained from the old struts. I noticed the car has gained 5 HP, too.
Well since you got 5 ponies out of it I'm going to have to change mine! Have you noticed the hood has more resistance when you go to pull it down?
Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

About the same point as where it starts to help lift the hood, the resistance decreases on the way down. I have to hold the hood, then drop it at that one certain height that always latches but doesn't slam. You know the height.

I dynoed last night and it was only 4.5 extra HP. Maybe I got the wrong struts. *shrug*
Old 03-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Not much going on for now. Started doing some carbide work on the edelbrock intake. Cleaning up the castings.
Name:  image-2812162617.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  360.9 KB
Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

I've been having withdrawals from lack of posts in this thread.

Ok not really. But man, I do look forward to when you get the car and start to put it back together.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
I've been having withdrawals from lack of posts in this thread. Ok not really. But man, I do look forward to when you get the car and start to put it back together.
Haha! You are just waiting in angst for your new ride to show up! I'm looking forward to THAT!
Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Haha! You are just waiting in angst for your new ride to show up! I'm looking forward to THAT!
Ok, so there's that too. I'm having whatever is the opposite of cold feet. Already have my little to-do list and everything... Which will of course be covered in its own thread, because thats what we do around here.

So, for a little future forecast, do you have any plans after its all put back together? Just finish it, keep tinkering and enjoy it, or are there potential mods coming? Or another car?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:43 PM
professorX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well dt86 not a whole lot going one here either spent more money for interior, stearing wheel, floor mats still pads carp anything with the corvette name I might as well see 100 dollars gone. Is corvette parts spending a addiction hehe.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Ok, so there's that too. I'm having whatever is the opposite of cold feet. Already have my little to-do list and everything... Which will of course be covered in its own thread, because thats what we do around here. So, for a little future forecast, do you have any plans after its all put back together? Just finish it, keep tinkering and enjoy it, or are there potential mods coming? Or another car?
You are like my kids on Christmas Eve. It just CANT come soon enough! Lol. After I get her back together I am planning to drive her! Sometime over the summer put the 3.07 rear in and I'll probably do the intake at the same time to get the seat of pants effect. Will probably do some minor seat repairs/dye. Speaker upgrade. Switch to LEDs inside and out. Farther down the road headers and high flow cats. So yeah I have a few things to keep me busy.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by professorX
Is corvette parts spending a addiction hehe.
I believe you're on to something. It's definitely part of the fun of it!

Get notified of new replies

To Starting the teardown

Old 03-06-2015, 09:02 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, so there's that too. I'm having whatever is the opposite of cold feet. Already have my little to-do list and everything... Which will of course be covered in its own thread, because thats what we do around here.

So, for a little future forecast, do you have any plans after its all put back together? Just finish it, keep tinkering and enjoy it, or are there potential mods coming? Or another car?
Knowing DT, he'll buy a HUGE oven so he can powdercoat the whole frame...one piece at a time.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
Knowing DT, he'll buy a HUGE oven so he can powdercoat the whole frame...one piece at a time.
Well, I would if I could.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:16 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

You are like my kids on Christmas Eve. It just CANT come soon enough! Lol. After I get her back together I am planning to drive her! Sometime over the summer put the 3.07 rear in and I'll probably do the intake at the same time to get the seat of pants effect. Will probably do some minor seat repairs/dye. Speaker upgrade. Switch to LEDs inside and out. Farther down the road headers and high flow cats. So yeah I have a few things to keep me busy.
Sounds good. Do you know which rear you have in there right now? Is it the 2.73 or 2.59?

I was a bit surprised (and excited) when I discovered the '94 I'm buying has 3.07s. Think I might actually leave ASR on the first time or two, lol.

Originally Posted by MaxDaemon
I'd like to see him justifying that to the family. "No its not a garage... its an oven."

I might farm out my powdercoating needs to him. I mean, he doesn't have much better to do right now anyway, right?

Quick Reply: Starting the teardown