C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

So many nice C4's for sale latley

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 03:45 AM
Barchetta
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default So many nice C4's for sale latley

I did a search on Cars.com for '94-'96. So many beautiful, well taken care of late model C4's under 50k miles selling for under $12K. Imagine having, let's say, five of them in different colors lined up in a row in your garage. Drive a different color each day of the week. Having owned my C4 for about a year now, I've realized that many people not familiar with these cars don't realize what a tremendous bang for the buck they are. You really can't get a comparable new sports car like that TODAY at that price. Even though they're 20 some years old they're still relatively modern. Additionally the Corvette brand still carries considerable prestige, even more so it seems with older models. Without a doubt its a buyers market for C4's right now. That said though, they don't seem to be selling that fast. Anyone know why?

Anybody else have more than one?
Old 12-22-2014, 05:45 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 399 Posts

Its a tough time of the year to sell a car honestly. So, with so many people selling and few people buying, its a flooded market. I have a beautiful 86 Porsche 944 for sale currently and I am over $1500 under value on the car and I have gotten maybe three calls on it in the last month an a half... And I currently own one Corvette, but have had two at a time for the past few years. It just worked out that currently I only have one. The reason for selling the 944 is to buy another Corvette actually.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:18 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I have been thinking about getting a second C4 and now may be a good time.. The 89 I have is fairly modified with a built 383 motor and other "go fast" parts I've added over the years.. I'm thinking of getting a low mile stock "C4 for just cruising in...Something that doesn't attract all the "ricers" at stoplights wanting to prove how fast their car is.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 12-22-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:38 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Barchetta
...... I've realized that many people not familiar with these cars don't realize what a tremendous bang for the buck they are. .......... Without a doubt its a buyers market for C4's right now. That said though, they don't seem to be selling that fast. Anyone know why?......
I think you answered it yourself. Many people are not familiar with these cars and for some reason there is a lot of C4 bashing to further the poor perceptions.

I agree they are a tremendous bang for the buck and it is a buyers market. Many are less than the price you stated too. It is a great time to go shopping. (If I can talk my wife into it?)
Old 12-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Barchetta
Racer

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
... (snip) ... I have a beautiful 86 Porsche 944 for sale currently and I am over $1500 under value on the car and I have gotten maybe three calls on it in the last month an a half... (snip) ...
I was strongly considering buying a 944, like a later model. Not the most coveted Porsche, or best appreciation value. Still a nice looking Porsche in my opinion. It's the one that saved Porsche during their low period in the 80's and 90's. The problem with any Porsche though, especially an older model is people immediately think "expensive parts and repairs". That's not too far from the truth actually. especially if you don't have wrenching skills. With the 944's I hear the timing belt and tensioner and other belts need to be replaced every 30-40K miles, at a cost of $1,500 if you can't do it yourself. Most know that older cars will need work at some point, but that much that often is a hard pill to swallow for most. I wish you good luck with the sale.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:49 AM
89onlyZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche...

(says a former owner of a 924 turbo, 928, and 911 targa)
Old 12-22-2014, 12:13 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Out of all Vettes, Betty Boop is the one I enjoy the most. It is an automatic so I get to enjoy the car more than the Z, and The Ghost. Betty Boop is the slowest, prettiest, and my favorite. I was going to sell it, but I can't find it in my heart to put her for sale.

Right now, it is a buyers market. I bet you can make an offer, and that person will sell it. Many folks needs the extra cash for the holidays. If you are looking for a LT4 now may be the time

Merry Christmas to all of you.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:49 PM
Barchetta
Racer

Its fun to look and dream.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:18 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Barchetta
Its fun to look and dream.
But it's more fun to buy and drive......WW
Old 12-22-2014, 05:37 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

I was out of the vette game for a good bit but like mentioned lots of nice ones for sale lately.

Friend emailed me a few weeks ago saying his uncle passed away and his aunt needed to sell his corvette and did I know anyone that wanted a corvette. Im like not off the top of my head but what year and all is it.

He said it was an 87 convertible and she wanted to get 5000 for it. I told him to send me some pics of it. Black with red interior, aftermarket cowl induction hood (nicely done too) and spoiler on the back with tweaked motor (more on that later).

So I run to the bank and head down there with 5k. Figure worst case I enjoy a nice drive in the country. Got down there and it looked nice. So I cranked it. Sounds REAL nice.

Had a bit of a problem getting out of the yard. Spun tires in reverse touching the gas to back up. Spun tires moving forward to turn around to get out to the road. Spun tires pulling out in the road. Spun tires changing from 1st to 2nd at 1/2 throttle. Went down 1/4 mile of highway turned around and drove back, paid the lady, drove home

Turns out the tweaked motor is a 383 stroker. That thing runs like the wind. So yep theres some nice buys out there right now
Old 12-22-2014, 05:57 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 620 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
I have been thinking about getting a second C4 and now may be a good time.. The 89 I have is fairly modified with a built 383 motor and other "go fast" parts I've added over the years.. I'm thinking of getting a low mile stock "C4 for just cruising in...Something that doesn't attract all the "ricers" at stoplights wanting to prove how fast their car is.......WW
It will still attract ricers
Originally Posted by PLRX
Out of all Vettes, Betty Boop is the one I enjoy the most. It is an automatic so I get to enjoy the car more than the Z, and The Ghost. Betty Boop is the slowest, prettiest, and my favorite. I was going to sell it, but I can't find it in my heart to put her for sale.

Right now, it is a buyers market. I bet you can make an offer, and that person will sell it. Many folks needs the extra cash for the holidays. If you are looking for a LT4 now may be the time

Merry Christmas to all of you.
Merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2014, 06:11 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Corvettes have historically delivered great bang for the buck, so when you look at the C4 at this point in time... it just accentuates that characteristic. The C4 really brought Corvette into the modern era of sports cars (both from a design and engineering standpoint), and brought life back into being a worldwide performance contender.

It really is cool to see what you can get for the money on these. But more than that, its a Corvette. Hell, you can get a C4 ZR1 on the cheap. Lets see, a new economy car... or a clean, used C4 ZR1. Such a tough decision...
Old 12-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Barchetta
Racer

I went to the dealership to get the oil changed shortly after purchase. A salesman came up to me complementing my '94 torch red coupe. The conversation steered toward car prices, and he asked me how much I paid for mine. "Twelve-five" I replied, "and it's only got fourty-thousand miles". His eyes gew big as he pointed toward the used car section. "Ha! You can get a Corvette almost half the price as that newer pre-owned Ford Focus over there. That's a no-brainer!" He said. I smiled as I nodded my head in agreement.

Last edited by Barchetta; 12-22-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:37 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

This is a bad time to sell, especially north of the Mason-Dixon line. Come spring, it will turn around, as it always does. IMHO, I wouldn't worry about the prices of C4's, especially the newer versions. In my opinion, prices are going up. Certainly, there's been no depreciation. I'm basing this on what the prices were when I was looking 2 years ago, vs prices today.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:40 PM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I obtained my 89 coupe w/85K miles in September for $5K, he was asking 6K. But I've already sunk $2K in it, a good chunk of that being tires and fuel injectors.

It still needs some work here and there but for now it looks great and runs great. I still search craig's list everyday to see what else is out there. There are some really good deals on C4s for around $5K but like mine they probably need some attention.

I know of three sitting in back yards not running, one right down the street from my house and two that belong to friends in the model airplane club, one a 93 anniversary.
Neither friend seems very interested in getting them going.

Rick
Old 12-22-2014, 08:20 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

Prices on C4s, especially early ones, are artificially low right now. What I mean by that is that the car is simply selling for less than comparable cars of the day in comparable condition (third-gens, Moose-tangs, etc...). The reason is a combination of snobbery(which will fade- younger guys think my Corvette is awesome) and supply (a huge number of C4s were bought as weekend toys and survive with low miles in good condition). I predict that as the next decade wears on we will see solid increases.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:12 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I gotta crappy one that I am thinking of selling. Darn medical bills just keep on rolling in as the wife gets sicker and sicker with in-op cancer. happy holidays.

Get notified of new replies

To So many nice C4's for sale latley

Old 12-22-2014, 09:34 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I gotta crappy one that I am thinking of selling. Darn medical bills just keep on rolling in as the wife gets sicker and sicker with in-op cancer. happy holidays.
Sorry to hear about your wife's illness. My prayers to you and your wife.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:49 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

So sorry. Prayers out to you two.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:32 AM
eddog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She`s in our prayers....my wife has lymphoma and I`m a total myself....it`s the season for my age group.

Quick Reply: So many nice C4's for sale latley