Old 01-26-2015, 10:00 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
OR... (to paraphrase..)

Same type of debate went on when it PUSHRODS vs DOHCs, PUSHRODS would rule forever according to some and nothing will ever replace it.

Let's just see how it plays out.

Juuuuuuussst sayin!
You left out SOHC...One of Ford's main engine designs. Couldn't resist stirring the pot a little brother!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
PUSHRODS vs DOHCs, PUSHRODS would rule forever

Let's just see how it plays out.

Juuuuuuussst sayin!
How about "none of the above"? I'm "juuuuuuuuuuust sayin' " too.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:09 PM
hammsammich
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really have any brand loyalty. I have a Mustang GT sitting in the garage right next to the Corvette. Each car is interesting in it's own way.

I really have to applaud the direction Ford is going with their technology. I ended up getting the twin turbo Explorer sport for my wife to drive and I have to say that is one quick SUV even with a very conservative stock tune. I could only imagine what the GT-40 would be like.

Back a few years ago I had a modified 1986 Mustang SVO that put out 22psi boost on a 2.3L 4cyl engine. That thing would scream once you got past the turbo lag. It sounded like there was a jet engine under the hood. The boost on the Explorer is instant and hits hard but is very quiet. It feels more sophisticated.

I also love my V8's but boosted engines sure can be fun.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:35 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by kg4fku
It is called innovation and progress.

Anytime a manufacturer does something different or unusual with an iconic car, people lose their minds. Give it a little time to sink in. I don't think Ford or anyone else can be competitive in the supercar market by resisting innovation and evolution, or by resisting newer, modern designs. (Yes I get the irony of this statement considering the GT still has a bit of retro look.) The V6 might not have the low grunt of the V8 but I bet it sings sweetly in the mid to upper RPM range and drives beautifully. And I bet Ford has already planned a V8 for the new GT and allowed a bit of extra clearance in the bay. They are probably just waiting until after the initial excitement wears off, to create renewed interest with the V8 announcement.

And look at the iconic F150:
After decades of steel bodies and V8 engines, the new model with aluminum body and ecoboost engine is *still* selling like crazy.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:14 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
and you KNOW that HOW?
http://www.dailytech.com/GM+to+Use+A...ticle34367.htm

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11402197...ature-aluminum

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/02/...xt-gen-trucks/

Yeup. Even after all you Chevy die hards bashed Ford for an aluminum pick up truck, GM follows suit. GM seems to be following a lot latley.

The only thing Chevy has done consistently well at is the Corvette. I would much prefer having a Corvette over a Mustang but I would much prefer having a Mustang GT or SRT Chally over those un-proportional goofy interior Camaro's.

To me a Chevy truck is nothing more than a car with a box on the back of it. Soft mushy ride, never tows as much as Ford, I think they finally got around to using a fully hydroformed frame even though Ford did that in 2004. List goes on... They build a reliable power plant I'll give them that. Oh yeah, do they still use drum brakes in the rear? My Friend's 2010 1500 still had drum brakes on the rear

The 2015 F-150 is 700 pounds lighter than the previous model. And you can definitely feel it! Drove my brother's to Daytona and back. 25 MPG on I-4 the whole way (Tampa to Daytona). Only 1/2 a tank.

Last edited by TorchTarga94; 01-27-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:31 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
http://www.dailytech.com/GM+to+Use+A...ticle34367.htm

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11402197...ature-aluminum

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/02/...xt-gen-trucks/

Yeup. Even after all you Chevy die hards bashed Ford for an aluminum pick up truck, GM follows suit. GM seems to be following a lot latley.

The only thing Chevy has done consistently well at is the Corvette. I would much prefer having a Corvette over a Mustang but I would much prefer having a Mustang GT or SRT Chally over those un-proportional goofy interior Camaro's.

To me a Chevy truck is nothing more than a car with a box on the back of it. Soft mushy ride, never tows as much as Ford, I think they finally got around to using a fully hydroformed frame even though Ford did that in 2004. List goes on... They build a reliable power plant I'll give them that. Oh yeah, do they still use drum brakes in the rear? My Friend's 2010 1500 still had drum brakes on the rear

The 2015 F-150 is 700 pounds lighter than the previous model. And you can definitely feel it! Drove my brother's to Daytona and back. 25 MPG on I-4 the whole way (Tampa to Daytona). Only 1/2 a tank.

That's a beautiful truck. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:38 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by kg4fku

To address the "old timers" refusing to let go of the past; those nostalgic individuals need to read up on some history.
Since you're at the ripe old age of 38, I don't appreciate being told to read up on history. I don't have to. I lived it.

The only constant is change, so we agree there. But some things get in your blood. Like the sound of a healthy V8. And certain models/makes of cars.

I'll never own a Japanese car, for example. I hate 'em, as they started out being cheap tin and copycats who lied about being innovators (Toyota, for example, said in the 70s they built the first production DOHC, when the Italians had been making them for decades). But I've had Japanese motorcycles in droves. I doubt I'll ever own a Harley, so for me, it's not a "made in America" thing for me.

But if you had been around to watch the development of those products over the last 60 years, you'd easily see why we choose the things we do.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:49 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

The only thing Chevy has done consistently well at is the Corvette.

To me a Chevy truck is nothing more than a car with a box on the back of it. Soft mushy ride, never tows as much as Ford,
I must be in a mood this morning -- I beg to differ.

I've had an old, simple Chevy 1500 work truck for the last 23 years. It's reliable, still economical (4.3 V6) and tows what I need it to tow. And the ride is something Ford has never been able to duplicate. Fords ride like buckboards in comparison, and yes, I've owned a Ford pickup and have a good friend who's a die-hard Ford fanatic.

By the way, he drools at the chance to drive my C4.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:07 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51
Since you're at the ripe old age of 38, I don't appreciate being told to read up on history. I don't have to. I lived it.

The only constant is change, so we agree there. But some things get in your blood. Like the sound of a healthy V8. And certain models/makes of cars.

I'll never own a Japanese car, for example. I hate 'em, as they started out being cheap tin and copycats who lied about being innovators (Toyota, for example, said in the 70s they built the first production DOHC, when the Italians had been making them for decades). But I've had Japanese motorcycles in droves. I doubt I'll ever own a Harley, so for me, it's not a "made in America" thing for me.

But if you had been around to watch the development of those products over the last 60 years, you'd easily see why we choose the things we do.
Well put!

I must be in a mood this morning -- I beg to differ.

I've had an old, simple Chevy 1500 work truck for the last 23 years. It's reliable, still economical (4.3 V6) and tows what I need it to tow. And the ride is something Ford has never been able to duplicate. Fords ride like buckboards in comparison, and yes, I've owned a Ford pickup and have a good friend who's a die-hard Ford fanatic.

By the way, he drools at the chance to drive my C4.
We will have to agree to disagree. I like my work vehicles to be work vehicles. Not mush *****. I don't think Ford has ever tried to duplicate a Chevy truck, especially since they pretty much own the market. Only thing that hurts them is the price. A lot of loyal Ford owners have been jumping ship to Dodge and GM solely for cost differences. The big 3 all build a good truck, it would be a boring if they all looked and drove the same. Plenty of choices for everyone. I personally think the Ram looks the best out of them all, especially the R/T.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by H P Bushrod
That's a beautiful truck. Thanks for sharing the pics.
He appreciates the compliments . If it were mine...I think that big goofy platinum deal on the tailgate would be gone though. See how long it will take for me to wear that idea in on him.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:17 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Fact correcting time;

To me a Chevy truck is nothing more than a car with a box on the back of it. Soft mushy ride...I think they finally got around to using a fully hydroformed frame even though Ford did that in 2004.
Not according to C&D. This month's issue tested F-150, Silverado 1500, Ram 1500, and Toy Tundra. Chevy had stiffer suspension, best handling and steering, according to C&D. Chevy was first with hydroformed rails back in '99.

The 2015 F-150 is 700 pounds lighter than the previous model. And you can definitely feel it!
And even using a little V6 engine, all that aluminum, it weighs a scant 81 lbs less than a '15, 6.2L Silverado. Doesn't get any better mileage either. Hell, my '96 5.7 xcab 4x4 get 21-22 highway and that is nearly 20 year old tech! (with 262k miles)

I don't think Ford has ever tried to duplicate a Chevy truck, especially since they pretty much own the market.
Please; You're going to accuse Chevy of copying Ford, then deny that it's never gone the other way?
*Who had IFS first? (torsion bar, SLA IFS...not that stupid, TTB piece of crap)
*Who had 4 speed/ OD trans first?
*Auto locking hubs?
*Boxed frame?
*Finished interior (not metal dash)

They both have firsts, they both leapfrog each other, to say or think otherwise is stuffing your head in the sand.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:36 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think Ford has ever tried to duplicate a Chevy truck, especially since they pretty much own the market.
Now add in the GMC sales with the Chevrolet sales becasue about the only difference bewteen them now is the Chevrolet or GMC badge and other small changes. (vin, and any material the has the logo)
Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Fact correcting time;

Not according to C&D. This month's issue tested F-150, Silverado 1500, Ram 1500, and Toy Tundra. Chevy had stiffer suspension, best handling and steering, according to C&D. Chevy was first with hydroformed rails back in '99.

And even using a little V6 engine, all that aluminum, it weighs a scant 81 lbs less than a '15, 6.2L Silverado. Doesn't get any better mileage either. Hell, my '96 5.7 xcab 4x4 get 21-22 highway and that is nearly 20 year old tech! (with 262k miles)

Please; You're going to accuse Chevy of copying Ford, then deny that it's never gone the other way?
*Who had IFS first? (torsion bar, SLA IFS...not that stupid, TTB piece of crap)
*Who had 4 speed/ OD trans first?
*Auto locking hubs?
*Boxed frame?
*Finished interior (not metal dash)

They both have firsts, they both leapfrog each other, to say or think otherwise is stuffing your head in the sand.
2000 Silverado Frame. Not fully boxed.

2011 Silverado Frame. Not fully boxed.

2004 F-150. FULLY BOXED

And

I'll take the tougher one.

Last edited by TorchTarga94; 01-29-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:14 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hydroformed does not mean boxed. Are you going to try and tell us that 18 wheelers have or need boxed frames next?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:35 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by chevyowner
Hydroformed does not mean boxed. Are you going to try and tell us that 18 wheelers have or need boxed frames next?
Yes I realize that, my mistake for mentioning hydro formed in an earlier post. Two completely different things. I meant boxed originally. And no.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:36 PM
hammsammich
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a fleet of about 60 vehicles of mixed manufacturers. Most of them are 2wd 1/2 ton trucks but I do have a few 3/4 ton 4x4s. I don't have a brand loyalty. I just want the trucks to get the work done for me so I can make money. When I purchase vehicles I just look for the best deal at the time regardless of brand.

It's interesting because back in the 90's and early 2000's they trucks I had the least amount of problems with was the GM's. Over the past decade the trucks I have the least amount of repair and maintenance problems with is Ford. I keep all the info in an excel spreadsheet and the info is really interesting. Just going by the data I have I believe that Ford now has the best made and most reliable trucks.

I also track the vehicle gas usage through the gas cards and interestingly enough one of the worst vehicles I have for gas usage is the ecoboost Ford. It gets decent gas mileage when empty but when you put a load in it or a trailer behind it the gas usage is worse than the 5.0 Fords or 5.3 Chevys under the same conditions but when unloaded gets about 1-2 mpg better than the V8s.

For the trucks I'm not completely sold on the ecoboost technology yet. They are a very complex engine with some expensive replacement parts and I'm waiting to see what the upkeep will be like on the trucks once they go over 200k miles.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:07 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

We will have to agree to disagree. I like my work vehicles to be work vehicles. Not mush *****. I don't think Ford has ever tried to duplicate a Chevy truck, especially since they pretty much own the market. Only thing that hurts them is the price. A lot of loyal Ford owners have been jumping ship to Dodge and GM solely for cost differences. The big 3 all build a good truck, it would be a boring if they all looked and drove the same. Plenty of choices for everyone. I personally think the Ram looks the best out of them all, especially the R/T.
I use my truck for things other than work, although it's hauled lots of stuff in the past, and towed boats, 5th wheels etc. The V6 gets a little anemic at higher altitudes and steep hills, esp. with the 5th wheel, but I don't use it THAT much for work, I'll admit.

However, I used to commute 7 hours to my job, about 4 times a month, one way. The ride of that truck was a lot more bearable than it would've been in the Ford I had. I did finally install an aftermarket cruise control which, when I was a kid, I thought was for old people!

I'll use the extreme to illustrate my choice for a work truck; a Unimog! lol

Get notified of new replies

To shame on ford

Old 01-29-2015, 06:37 PM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I'll use the extreme to illustrate my choice for a work truck; a Unimog! lol
The swiss army knife of road/off road vehicles!

I think GM's new commercial with the sub is reaching. I just had to laugh.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:01 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

2000 Silverado Frame. Not fully boxed.

2011 Silverado Frame. Not fully boxed.

2004 F-150. FULLY BOXED
Who said fully boxed? Not you. Not me. I said (as an example of Ford copying Chevy), "boxed". Chevy had boxed frames back in '88, from the bumper to about the middle of the cab. Ford did not. Not in the '80s, not in the '90's. Eventually they decided cracking frames above the front leaf spring mounts (another archaic Ford design in F250/350) probably wasn't that great.

If you want to throw around marketing BS, here is a vid for ya...

Originally Posted by hammsammich
It's interesting because back in the 90's and early 2000's the trucks I had the least amount of problems with was the GM's.
...as a fleet manager

Over the past decade the trucks I have the least amount of repair and maintenance problems with is Ford. I keep all the info in an excel spreadsheet and the info is really interesting. Just going by the data I have I believe that Ford now has the best made and most reliable trucks.
...as a fleet manager

I also track the vehicle gas usage through the gas cards and interestingly enough one of the worst vehicles I have for gas usage is the ecoboost Ford.
Real world consumption isn't matching Ford's marketing claims.

Aaaaand all this brings me back to that which I have already said. For the comprehension impaired, I'll quote it below, rather than re-typing it again...

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 01-29-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by H P Bushrod
You left out SOHC...One of Ford's main engine designs. Couldn't resist stirring the pot a little brother!
No problemo... My F150's 5.4L is a SOHC too. But, the Ford Coyote is a DOHC, 5.0L that is one example of a modern DOHC making huge hp - as an example (shades of the 4.0L Aurora!). It remains to be seen if a 2016+ C7 (or 8?) mid engine ZR1 comes to pass. And, if so, what configuration it will take, i.e., pushrod or DOHC, or whatever? Competition is a good thing!

Hey, Chuck...R U going to join some us on the Mountain Run 3 leading into the BG gathering this year??? Would be great if you could!

Paul

Quick Reply: shame on ford