Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

ever felt judged by others because of your corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:44 AM
1stvetteguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a lot of thumbs up and waves, but I have noticed a lot of jerkasses in mustangs and tuner cars trying to ride my *** and race me, but I bought the car to enjoy it at my pace not to get brought down by idiots.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:16 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm in a local club with a bunch of older couples mostly with C6s and 7s, a good number of 5s, 3 C4s and some scattering of earlier ones. They are really great people and I put my C4 right in there with them, I don't care if it's a "poor man's vette". The one's I've met don't seem to be stuck up about it, I thinks it's more of a party club anyway.

Seems like since I've gotten my 89 people are determined to make my driving experience as miserable as possible by pulling out in front of me at the last second, turning left in front of me and driving 10mph BELOW the speed limit only to speed up when we get to a passing zone, then back down.

And 9 times out of 10 it's one of those new japwagon things with the chopped off back end, I call them choppers, Kias are the biggest offenders.

I was taught to never do anything that will cause another driver to have to take any evasive actions but that is definitely lost in today's world. Maybe it's just this area but I just thought it was bad in my F-150, the Corvette seems like it's a target.

I also no long bother waving at C5s and up, never get a return wave but usually always do in C4s and below.

Rick
Old 04-25-2015, 09:31 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,452 Posts

to be honest people i see lots of poor me attitude regarding c4 corvettes on corvetteforum BY C4 OWNERS.

they are only cheap because they happen to be at the bottom of there depreciation curve. they all do it lol.

stop posting this garbage and standup tall and maybe people will start getting out of your way.

sorry but i just had to say something. way too much wallowing by some c4 owners. its not the car people its the owners. i guarantee the late c3 owners felt the same about their cars in 1999. when they hit bottom and they could be bought for 2600$
Old 04-25-2015, 01:16 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Who cares, I drive my C4 because I enjoy it!

Save the wave!
Old 04-25-2015, 01:20 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto

Save the wave!

Old 04-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

When its judged at a car show.......

Other than that, don't care about the who's and why's. I enjoy it on several levels of respect and enjoyment.

Last edited by Bandit's C4; 04-25-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:57 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I am 64 years old. When I bought mine home, all I heard was "mid life crisis". That's bS. Wanted one since I first drove one back in 1966 and promised myself that one day I will have one. Worked all my life, put the family first, its my turn for a little something. Wife argued when i said I wanted to buy this one. I let her drive it home (about 30 miles) and she loved it. Even said " I like the way it sounds". I planed on us taking long rides and sharing life..but she died last month. The heck with what folks think. Enjoy your life cause its the only one you get.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 04-25-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:17 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
I'm in a local club with a bunch of older couples mostly with C6s and 7s, a good number of 5s, 3 C4s and some scattering of earlier ones. They are really great people and I put my C4 right in there with them, I don't care if it's a "poor man's vette". The one's I've met don't seem to be stuck up about it, I thinks it's more of a party club anyway.

Seems like since I've gotten my 89 people are determined to make my driving experience as miserable as possible by pulling out in front of me at the last second, turning left in front of me and driving 10mph BELOW the speed limit only to speed up when we get to a passing zone, then back down.

And 9 times out of 10 it's one of those new japwagon things with the chopped off back end, I call them choppers, Kias are the biggest offenders.

I was taught to never do anything that will cause another driver to have to take any evasive actions but that is definitely lost in today's world. Maybe it's just this area but I just thought it was bad in my F-150, the Corvette seems like it's a target.

I also no long bother waving at C5s and up, never get a return wave but usually always do in C4s and below.

Rick
The trick is to sucker punch em. Lay back when they're driving like tortoises, and then when you know you are coming up to the passing zone, stand on it last minute. You'll A have added momentum on your side and B the jump. By the time they realize what's happening you'll probably already be doing 60 to 70 mph if you do it right.

I don't care if they're driving a charger RT. They aren't going to overcome a 20mph deficit before the passing lane ends.

Last edited by MavsAK; 04-25-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:22 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto

Save the wave!
Old 04-25-2015, 05:50 PM
murraybob
Racer

I had a neighbor lady ask me if I was having a midlife crisis. I said I probably was. She said "I have news for you, at your age you're way past midlife".

She can say that because she is my age.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by crowz
Well if anyone from the forums makes it to the car show here in November I'll get the wife to back me up

Providing I don't get strangled before then
What kind of show? Ashland is a rather small town.

Drove my C4 two or three times a week and did not have problems with other Vette owners. Waved and was waved at. Entered local shows and won third or better four times in two years. Yep, beat out C5s and C6s and even a black C7.

Wave if you see a Mag Red C6 vert coming your way. I always wave.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:16 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,810 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I am 64 years old. When I bought mine home, all I heard was "mid life crisis". That's bS. Wanted one since I first drove one back in 1966 and promised myself that one day I will have one. Worked all my life, put the family first, its my turn for a little something. Wife argued when i said I wanted to buy this one. I let her drive it home (about 30 miles) and she loved it. Even said " I like the way it sounds". I planed on us taking long rides and sharing life..but she died last month. The heck with what folks think. Enjoy your life cause its the only one you get.
Sorry to hear about your loss I think we all know how plans get changed in a hurry despite our best efforts.
To stay on topic...I've gotten a few "Oh must be nice to afford a car like that...yada yada yada..." but unless it's somebody I feel needs explaining how affordable and fun it is I don't bother. Like most here I just love to go cruising in it, especially after a crappy day at work or whatever the reason. For me it's great therapy and as far as impressing anyone or racing...I know what my car can and can't do. If I feel I absolutely HAVE to have better performance I'll buy a nice clean C6 but no car I've ever driven in my entire life has been near as much fun to be in (maybe with the exception of my late grandfathers '32 Rolls Royce). The older I get the more I realize that...honestly...80% of what comes out of a persons mouth every single day isn't necessary to make life and the world go on.

astepup said that
Old 04-25-2015, 08:34 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Ben
What kind of show? Ashland is a rather small town.

Drove my C4 two or three times a week and did not have problems with other Vette owners. Waved and was waved at. Entered local shows and won third or better four times in two years. Yep, beat out C5s and C6s and even a black C7.

Wave if you see a Mag Red C6 vert coming your way. I always wave.
One of the largest car shows in the south east. Scary isn't it

Lineville is the actually town with the show but the two towns share a common border. Side by side literally.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:48 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by crowz
One of the largest car shows in the south east. Scary isn't it

Lineville is the actually town with the show but the two towns share a common border. Side by side literally.
I know where it is. Just up hwy 9 from Montgomery. PM some info.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:56 PM
vert vette virgin
Instructor

About 10 yrs ago I saw a older guy in a newer vette vert. He looked a lot like me. I thought he looked kinda silly. I sort of gave up the idea of putting myself in a vette back then. Then a year ago I thought I was going to die after a routine hip replacement. Turned out not to be serious but got me to thinking. I've wanted a vette since I was 10. Who knows how much longer I'll be able to enjoy one. If not now then when? Don't even care how silly I may look..I love driving my vert!! Cheers to all my fellow vette brethren and sisthren.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:47 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Ben
I know where it is. Just up hwy 9 from Montgomery. PM some info.
Heres a vid someone took that gives an idea of how big it is.

Though the guy seems to have the hots for hot rods and pickup trucks more than sports cars but you can see some in the vid.

I'll pm some more info on it.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:50 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking
If you are thin skinned enough to worry about what others think, best sell the Corvette. I don't think you'll find anyone that really cares what others think here.

Long time no see John.

Can't believe anybody would even think twice about a C4.
Not like it is some exotic super car.
Every kid driving around in a new Mustang or Camaro has car worth more.

Get notified of new replies

To ever felt judged by others because of your corvette?

Old 04-25-2015, 10:14 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking
That is definitely funny, but not a C4!

Most of the folks driving newer Corvettes have a phone in their hands so they are already distracted but that is funny. Is it real??
Old 04-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4

Long time no see John.
Yea, been out of C4's for a while since I sold the uber rare all black 40th Anniversary car. I picked up a very nice 94 M6 car last Spring but didn't have time to get too involved so it spent most if the year in the garage. Was at dealership I know and they were going to auction it so they sold it to me very cheap. I got to it this year, got it all prepped for the local car show scene this Summer, should be fun.

[IMG]
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg117/81vette4me/94-5_zps7d6aa42b.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Jon Hekking; 04-26-2015 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:50 PM
Gooseit
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

A few years ago at a car show I had entered I had this kid about 16 or 17 walk up to me and says you Don't see many of this generation corvette around, my dad says they were junk. I just stood there and looked at him until he turned and walked off.

Goose.

Quick Reply: ever felt judged by others because of your corvette?