Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Clutch Pedal to MC Push Rod - Help Please (1995)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 02:26 PM
navywolf
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch Pedal to MC Push Rod - Help Please (1995)

I just had a new set of clutch cylinders installed by a guy I really trust.
I had the car on the road today (2nd time out) and felt a pop.
After fishing around under the dash I saw the Master Cylinder Push Rod had separated from the clutch pedal.
The push rod had separated at the pivot pin, with the pivot pin still on the clutch pedal lever and the push rod hanging nearby.
So two questions.
1. Is it ok that those two parts separated? The new master cylinder as delivered had the parts pressed together, but I didn't pay attention to how tightly the were joined. Just wondering if I got a bad part.

2. Should there be a retainer of some sort to keep the push rod attached to the lever. I spoke with the mechanic and he said it had a plastic connector but I wasn't sure if that was the pivot point he was referencing or something similar to this:

If there should be a retainer, anybody know where I can find one? I couldn't find one (damaged or whole) on the floor board and if it was plastic I'd rather replace it with a metal part.

Both parts are Dorman, purchased through Rock Auto.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-26-2015, 03:52 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

Originally Posted by navywolf
I just had a new set of clutch cylinders installed by a guy I really trust.
I had the car on the road today (2nd time out) and felt a pop.
After fishing around under the dash I saw the Master Cylinder Push Rod had separated from the clutch pedal.
The push rod had separated at the pivot pin, with the pivot pin still on the clutch pedal lever and the push rod hanging nearby.
So two questions.
1. Is it ok that those two parts separated? The new master cylinder as delivered had the parts pressed together, but I didn't pay attention to how tightly the were joined. Just wondering if I got a bad part.

2. Should there be a retainer of some sort to keep the push rod attached to the lever. I spoke with the mechanic and he said it had a plastic connector but I wasn't sure if that was the pivot point he was referencing or something similar to this:

If there should be a retainer, anybody know where I can find one? I couldn't find one (damaged or whole) on the floor board and if it was plastic I'd rather replace it with a metal part.

Both parts are Dorman, purchased through Rock Auto.

Thanks for the help
The image you've posted is a reasonable representation of the GM # 3817880 which is what you need to keep the push-rod attached to the pedal, It should be on local dealer's shelf in your area I'd think.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:53 AM
Ron B C4
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Had the same thing happen to my 95 a week after I bought it. Local dealer had the clip for about $2.50 bought a couple of extra.

Clip is a PITA to install. Wounding jacking up the drivers side to make it easier.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:57 AM
navywolf
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you.
I'll hit the dealership this afternoon and pick up a couple.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Pedal to MC Push Rod - Help Please (1995)

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal to MC Push Rod - Help Please (1995)