C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

White Steam near Exhaust Manifold - LT1

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:34 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Default White Steam near Exhaust Manifold - LT1

Hey guys, finished up my water pump replacement and so far that seems to have gone well. However, as it was idling and I was doing the coolant refill procedure (94 lt1) I noticed some steam coming up from around the exhaust manifold on the passenger side.

With my shop light I couldn't spot any particular source or visible/audible leaks. Some coolant did spill into the engine bay a day or two prior when the t-stat housing bleeder screw was opened (opti was covered with rags and stayed dry) so I'm wondering if the coolant just got down there and is steaming off, or if there's something else going on, like a leak of sorts.

Notes: Car hasn't been driven in a month and was only fired up once briefly in that time. I've heard some people mention condensation when these cars sit, but I live in the desert if that makes any difference. The exhaust manifolds are the biggest eye sore in the engine bay as they're rusty, but not sure if thats relevant yet or not. Hadn't even climbed to full operating temp when I spotted the steam.

Any ideas? Normal/Not Normal? Anything particular to look for?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Probably the antifreeze on the manifold burning off. Did it smell as the steam was coming out by the exhaust manifold? How long was it running for. It may take a little time to burn off. Keep checking as the engine warms up
Old 04-27-2015, 11:01 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Was running 4-5 minutes. You're probably right, just checking on here in case I should look for something in particular. I guess another option is jack the car up and get under there and try to clean it all out best I can, but if its just water steam its pretty benign.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:16 AM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Yup, looks like it was indeed just coolant steaming off. This time it didn't steam at all so it probably burned off last time. Took her for a spin (with the new t-stat and wp) and everything seems in order. False alarm.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:12 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Glad nothing serious

Get notified of new replies

To White Steam near Exhaust Manifold - LT1

Quick Reply: White Steam near Exhaust Manifold - LT1