Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 04:57 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default '88 - Stuck Belt Tensioner

I replaced the serpentine belt about 6 months ago. On Saturday it appears that the alternator died (I'm guessing a bad diode). I get it rebuilt if needed since my car is pretty much original.

I went to remove the belt and the tensioner just won't move now. FYI - I didn't lubricate it when I changed the belt. Looks like the alternator will pivot less than 1/4" before it hits the pump (it's a CA car). What's the best course of action? Does the tensioner need lubrication?
Attached Images   
Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

No lube needed. You might need a breaker bar to get enough leverage to move it though. Replacements are relatively easy to find at auto parts stores if it no longer spins or no longer works properly.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:09 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

I have tensioner tool which has more leverage than a breaker bar. It won't budge. But auto store replacements are out - it's an NCRS judged TF car.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:59 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

If you replaced your belt just 6 months ago, I find it hard to believe that your tensioner could be stuck! Are you using a 1/2" square drive tool, like a breaker bar? I can see the 1/2" square hole in your picture. Rotating the tensioner in the right direction? Mine uses a 1/2" square drive also.

That video is wrong! I've never heard of a 16 mm box wrench being used to loosen a tensioner. What year 'vette is that? Is he removing the tensioner? Definitely the wrong way to do the job!

I can't see the belt length indicator in your photo. It should indicate that your belt is in the normal operating range. Is it possible your new belt is too long, which might cause the tensioner to get stuck?

Old 07-11-2016, 07:51 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

The video and my '88 don't match up. I initially tried a 1/2" breaker and several other tool combinations before trying the tensioner tool. This thing simply won't budge.

Think what I'll do is take the nut off the front of the alternator, loosen the unit it as much as possible and remove the pulley. There really isn't the same kind of slack as my 283/generator combination. Oh well.

Any other ideas before I press ahead?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:17 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Removal

Is there anything special that I need to do before I remove this "plate" that's held on by four 13mm bolts? Reinstall with what torque? And what does it really do?
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Special Tensioner Tool

I took my alternator in for rebuild (NCRS). I mentioned the tensioner problem and he said in his experience once in awhile they just "get stuck". After trials with many different 1/2" solutions I decided to try to make a tool. The attached is from 1/2" stock bought at the local hardware store and then ground down to clear. With a 5/8" 12 point straight racheting wrench on it moved freely once I got it going. Funny - now the "stuck" is gone. Wondering if a small piece of debris or a rock was the problem. Has anyone ever seen this?

Hopefully the alternator will perform well after the rebuild. More later.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To '88 - Stuck Belt Tensioner

Quick Reply: '88 - Stuck Belt Tensioner