C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help with Aftermarket Amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 04:31 PM
toricred
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Aftermarket Amplifier

Since I know the C4s don't get much response in the Audio Section, I thought I'd cross-post here. I'm looking at putting in an aftermarket amp in my 96 CE. The details are here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592783812
Old 08-05-2016, 06:14 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is a good post by a current member. I followed his power cable routing when I installed my power sub last month.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-pics.html

Last edited by csthews; 08-05-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:25 PM
toricred
Instructor

Thanks for the link. I hadn't thought about putting the amp on the rear wall, but I just finished installing the rear carpet and I didn't do a great job in that area so this idea might be really good.

Now I have to figure out which amp to get.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:49 PM
FWC
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15-'16,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I ordered a powered sub from Crutchfield, Sound ordinance 170 bucks I think very happy with it, went to Joanne Fabrics and found a darn near perfect match material that covered a piece of plywood. Mounted it in the rear secured the top / backside with velcro it looks pretty clean and was easy.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:57 PM
toricred
Instructor

That looks very good and great ideas. I'm not going to do a sub, but the amp should mount nicely in the back. Back to the search for an amp. I know I need 4-channel and I don't need a bunch of power. I'm thinking about this one https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLAM1600.../dp/B001LOOBJU or a similar pioneer Type FD. Any thoughts on the actual amplifier?
Old 08-06-2016, 05:25 PM
toricred
Instructor

So I got on Crutchfield's chat today and picked out an amp. I went with the Sound Ordnance M4050 since my speakers can't handle much power. I will need to replace my front speakers as they are way to small, but I already knew that. It will be about a month before I get to install the amp, but I'm looking forward to a much improved sound system. Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:14 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess this is a little late, but if all you want is 50wpc, I'd get a Kenwood KAC-M3004. It's tiny, makes greater than rated power and has very little in terms of power. Look it up and you'll find some great reviews. I have one I used for a different install and I was impressed, even bridged running a subwoofer.

The best part about it is its size. It's tiny. You could throw it literally anywhere; in the rear storage compartment, under the passenger seat, in the glove box etc. There is no need to have it even visible (no simple task in a c4)

As of late it looks like the price has gone up, I picked mine up for under $100
Old 08-07-2016, 04:00 PM
toricred
Instructor

I like the idea of that Kenwood, but on Crutchfield it's almost $200 and even Amazon has it for $115. I'm assuming that since I already placed the order with Crutchfield it's too late to cancel it. Of course I placed it on Saturday so it probably hasn't shipped yet....
Old 08-07-2016, 04:15 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Pretty sure crutchfield has free returns. 200 is too much, but 115, while more than I paid is worth it for the main advantages it has over 100 dollar class a/b amps like the one you ordered.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:12 PM
toricred
Instructor

Crutchfield is charging $10 for the return shipping, but it's all good. I saw the Kenwood on Amazon this week for $100, but I didn't have the money at the time. It's back up to $115 and I'll have the money at the end of the week so hopefully it's back down sometime late this week.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:08 PM
toricred
Instructor

The amplifier arrives tomorrow and I've run most of the cables (still need remote turn on and speaker wires). Amazon ended up trying to charge me twice for it and now they won't admit their mistake. Right now I hate Amazon. My bank refuses to help unless Amazon will admit the mistake and Amazon swears only the bank can fix it. Ugggghhhhhhh!!!!!! At least this weekend I'll have good tunes and all new carpet finished.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Aftermarket Amplifier

Quick Reply: Help with Aftermarket Amplifier