C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hella 003427291 for a 1992

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 01:19 AM
lances2000
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hella 003427291 for a 1992

Has/is anyone using the Hella 003427291 replacement headlight? If so, is there any special modifications needed? Are the seal beams made of glass or plastic? Your time and thoughts are appreciated.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:58 AM
CCRed
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

These have been around a long time and I have been using them for years in everything they would fit in. Best headlight ever in my opinion.
Makes changing a bulb in a C4 a breeze and the light pattern has a very sharp cut off.

The lamps I have are glass so no fading or hazing. I don't know about the new ones. No mods necessary and they install the same as any sealed beam. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited by CCRed; 03-13-2017 at 10:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lances2000 (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 02:03 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm thinking these would be "killer" with a pair of 3000K LED's. The stock halogens are pretty weak for my tired eyes. I installed the H4 LED's in my wife's Civic del Sol. The white light makes the old halogens look like fog lights.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:16 PM
CCRed
Racer

Originally Posted by 73n95
I'm thinking these would be "killer" with a pair of 3000K LED's. The stock halogens are pretty weak for my tired eyes. I installed the H4 LED's in my wife's Civic del Sol. The white light makes the old halogens look like fog lights.
They really do just fine with regular bulbs. I have never tried LEDs and I believe they would be good but it would depend on the bulb design. The bulb sits under a reflector and the whole unit was designed for a bulb that throws light from the sides like a typical H4. Some of these new LEDs have many lights on one bulb and a few face forward. I would like to see how something like that would work with these. Could be good!

In any case they are tried and true, they have been used on both streets and tracks for many years, a wonderful upgrade for a C4. I'm thinking Lances2000 will be back soon to tell everyone the same.
lances2000 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 10:06 PM
Chrly919
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

In my opinion the Hella 200mm Rectangular E-code Hi-Lo Conversion Headlamp Kit is better than the Vision Plus. I've used ecode lights for years and prefer tha cutoff the ecodes provide. I have 7'' round Vision Plus in my wife's Porsche 928 and while they are a Huge improvement over sealed beam, I still prefer the ecodes. At the moment I'm looking to buy Cibie 200mm headlights from Daniel Stern Lighting. The Cibies are another step up from the Hellas, although more expensive. Also to take full advantage of these H4 bulbs a wiring kit with relays is recommended. I've used these for years also.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:57 AM
CCRed
Racer

Originally Posted by Chrly919
In my opinion the Hella 200mm Rectangular E-code Hi-Lo Conversion Headlamp Kit is better than the Vision Plus. I've used ecode lights for years and prefer tha cutoff the ecodes provide. I have 7'' round Vision Plus in my wife's Porsche 928 and while they are a Huge improvement over sealed beam, I still prefer the ecodes. At the moment I'm looking to buy Cibie 200mm headlights from Daniel Stern Lighting. The Cibies are another step up from the Hellas, although more expensive. Also to take full advantage of these H4 bulbs a wiring kit with relays is recommended. I've used these for years also.
Chrly,

The 928 originally came with the Bosch 7" rounds. They were actually lead crystal (not glass) and they were 7" perfection. I hope you didn't toss those. An original set can be worth $$$.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Chrly919
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The 928 originally came with the Bosch 7" rounds. They were actually lead crystal (not glass) and they were 7" perfection. I hope you didn't toss those. An original set can be worth $$$.
Actually the 928 was designed for 8" Bosch headlights. American import cars got the 7" sealed beam with a chrome rim. The original are a much cleaner look and yes they are VERY expensive - up to $500 ea. Mine unfortunately came with the extremely crappy 7" sealed beam.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:14 AM
CCRed
Racer

Originally Posted by Chrly919
Actually the 928 was designed for 8" Bosch headlights. American import cars got the 7" sealed beam with a chrome rim. The original are a much cleaner look and yes they are VERY expensive - up to $500 ea. Mine unfortunately came with the extremely crappy 7" sealed beam.
I didn't realize some of them came with sealed beams. I picked up a set of 7" years ago from a early 928 that was totaled when new and they are incredible. It's a little frosty in the pic here (they were out in the cold garage). They also made a motorcycle version that says "motorcycle" on them and they are highly sought after and very pricey as well.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:48 PM
lances2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by 73n95
Would you have to make any electrical modifications to switch to 3000K LED's??
Old 03-25-2017, 03:08 PM
lances2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by CCRed
They really do just fine with regular bulbs. I have never tried LEDs and I believe they would be good but it would depend on the bulb design. The bulb sits under a reflector and the whole unit was designed for a bulb that throws light from the sides like a typical H4. Some of these new LEDs have many lights on one bulb and a few face forward. I would like to see how something like that would work with these. Could be good!

In any case they are tried and true, they have been used on both streets and tracks for many years, a wonderful upgrade for a C4. I'm thinking Lances2000 will be back soon to tell everyone the same.
I'm back to report I am not sold as of yet. I did a comparison when I was installing them. After installing the first bulb, I turned on the lights and the Sylvania Silverstar appeared to be brighter than the new Hella.

Went ahead and installed the second, and both work. Last night was the first real test. Took the car out on the dark highway and was able to see pretty good, however it was quite a let down. The Silverstars are brighter. Now to be fair, it appears the Hella bulbs are out of adjustment. Did you have to adjust the the bulbs when you installed them? Your time is appreciated!!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:59 PM
CCRed
Racer

Originally Posted by lances2000
I'm back to report I am not sold as of yet. I did a comparison when I was installing them. After installing the first bulb, I turned on the lights and the Sylvania Silverstar appeared to be brighter than the new Hella.

Went ahead and installed the second, and both work. Last night was the first real test. Took the car out on the dark highway and was able to see pretty good, however it was quite a let down. The Silverstars are brighter. Now to be fair, it appears the Hella bulbs are out of adjustment. Did you have to adjust the the bulbs when you installed them? Your time is appreciated!!
There is no adjustment and they only fit in one way. Its likely the Silverstars are brighter than the bulbs than came with them. The stock bulbs should be 55 watts on low and 60 on high but you can get H4 bulbs in several different HI/LOW wattages. Amazon has a nice selection of H4 bulbs in both regular and LED.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:10 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 131 Posts

Put a pair of 80/100watt H4 bulbs in those puppies and you'll "see the light".
Old 03-27-2017, 12:18 AM
lances2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by rocco16

Can this be done with out modifying the harness/wiring etc?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 AM
CCRed
Racer

Originally Posted by rocco16
You might spark some road rage with those.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 AM
CCRed
Racer

Can this be done with out modifying the harness/wiring etc?
The Hella fixture can handle any H4 bulb. You need to determine what the length (approximate) and size of the wires going to the headlight plug are (it might be printed on the wire). Once you know that there are charts to tell you how many volts/amps the wires can handle. The relay and switch are typically rated the same or higher than the wire.

LED bulbs usually have a much lower draw than incandescent lights.

You can get 55/80 bulbs and a few other combinations. PIAA has some nice bulbs but rather pricey.
Before you try bulbs, are your headlights aimed properly? I would check that FIRST.

lances2000 (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:19 PM
lances2000
Advanced

[QUOTE=CCRed;1594391982]The Hella fixture can handle any H4 bulb. You need to determine what the length (approximate) and size of the wires going to the headlight plug are (it might be printed on the wire). Once you know that there are charts to tell you how many volts/amps the wires can handle. The relay and switch are typically rated the same or higher than the wire.

You can get 55/80 bulbs and a few other combinations. PIAA has some nice bulbs but rather pricey.
Before you try bulbs, are your headlights aimed properly? I would check that FIRST.

I do believe they need to be aligned. Working on getting that done. Do you have any information on how one can do that in house? Thanks for all the info!!!

Last edited by lances2000; 03-27-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:53 PM
CCRed
Racer

[QUOTE=lances2000;1594394172]
Originally Posted by CCRed
The Hella fixture can handle any H4 bulb. You need to determine what the length (approximate) and size of the wires going to the headlight plug are (it might be printed on the wire). Once you know that there are charts to tell you how many volts/amps the wires can handle. The relay and switch are typically rated the same or higher than the wire.

I do believe they need to be aligned. Working on getting that done. Do you have any information on how one can do that in house? Thanks for all the info!!!
With the Hella's its actually pretty easy. I don't think a standard headlight aiming device used at most garages will work with the Hella's so you need to do this yourself.

When its dark find a white wall (like the side of a building or your garage door) where you can park about 20 - 25 feet away with the car sitting level.

The Hellas have a very sharp cut off and the light pattern should look like this.

On LOW beams
You want the cutoff lines to be within 1/2" of each other (height) and be about 3.5' from the bottom of the wall. The light beams should be the same width as the headlights. This is a good start.

The C4 headlight has 2 adjusters. One for left and right and one for up and down. Adjust for left/right alignment first, then up/down.

You will see the beams moving and figure it out pretty quick. Take it for a drive to make sure you are not annoying other drivers. If people are flashing the brights at you go back to the wall and LOWER the lights about 6" at a time until you get it perfect.

Enjoy those new Hella's.
lances2000 (03-27-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Hella 003427291 for a 1992

Quick Reply: Hella 003427291 for a 1992