C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Clearing codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:09 PM
offroadjim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearing codes

On 1992 C4 coupe will disconnecting the battery clear all the codes or do you still need to jump the A/G pin and clear them manually?
Old 03-25-2017, 06:49 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Disconnecting the battery should do it but unless you fixed the problem they'll just come back.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:57 PM
offroadjim
Advanced

Thank you.... hopefully I fixed it but I wanted to clear them out before I test drive it again
Old 03-25-2017, 07:59 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

What kind of codes? ECM, CCM, FX3, ABS or .....
Old 03-25-2017, 08:05 PM
offroadjim
Advanced

Really I wanted to clear everything and start over. I found some useful information here on damaged ASR wiring at the rear wheel and I pulled it apart and sure enough the two ASR wires (grey and brown) were worn through from body rub. Although it still not be my problem because reading other posts sounds like possibly the computer but obviously these wires sound not be exposed so I'm hoping it's all related.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:09 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by offroadjim
Really I wanted to clear everything and start over. I found some useful information here on damaged ASR wiring at the rear wheel and I pulled it apart and sure enough the two ASR wires (grey and brown) were worn through from body rub. Although it still not be my problem because reading other posts sounds like possibly the computer but obviously these wires sound not be exposed so I'm hoping it's all related.
I don't believe EBCM codes can be cleared by disconnecting the battery. They can be cleared using the CCM functions I believe though.

Do you have the FSM? What were your codes?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-25-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:19 PM
offroadjim
Advanced

I have the two red manuals. I actually don't know what the codes were prior to letting someone mess with it. If I understand correctly the jumped A/G at the plug under the dash and went through and cleared them already. I'm just not sure he did and would like to start fresh. 1992 with 155,000 miles. This past week the "SERVICE ASR" light came on about 10 min after start up. Them the "Security" light and "SYS" on the dash blinks three times. Car continues to run perfect. Once I shut it off and try to restart it it will crank but may or may not start. Sometimes it fires and stalls right out. If I disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes it starts up and again runs great but about 10 more min the lights all go on again. I found the gray and brown wires at the rear wheel well damaged. Not sure if this was the issue or not. I cut them and soldered them together and the. Used shrink tubing. Have not finished putting it back together yet to test.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:22 PM
offroadjim
Advanced

Old 03-25-2017, 08:24 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I have the two red manuals. I actually don't know what the codes were prior to letting someone mess with it. If I understand correctly the jumped A/G at the plug under the dash and went through and cleared them already. I'm just not sure he did and would like to start fresh. 1992 with 155,000 miles. This past week the "SERVICE ASR" light came on about 10 min after start up. Them the "Security" light and "SYS" on the dash blinks three times. Car continues to run perfect. Once I shut it off and try to restart it it will crank but may or may not start. Sometimes it fires and stalls right out. If I disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes it starts up and again runs great but about 10 more min the lights all go on again. I found the gray and brown wires at the rear wheel well damaged. Not sure if this was the issue or not. I cut them and soldered them together and the. Used shrink tubing. Have not finished putting it back together yet to test.
5E1-11 for the CCM clear codes procedure - ABS/ASR codes are later in that section -16 - 18 maybe.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:24 PM
offroadjim
Advanced

Does anyone know where this metal piece on the connector for the ASR is supposed to go? It's been like that since I got the car
Old 03-25-2017, 09:00 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

My wife will be happy to tell you I'm not the brightest bulb, but I'm having a hard time following your posts.

Is that a before and after picture of your wires? What is that Sh*t all over it?

You wires have been compromised with the wear through. You could easily get a false read in your computer as the wires would give a OHM reading that is out of specs. You need to fix that.

Also, you need to clear the codes...the right way. Jump the ALDL and work through the prompts. 1.7 and 4.7 will clear everything.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:13 PM
offroadjim
Advanced

Sorry.... the picture of the wires are what I found when I removed the plastic loom. The second picture is what it looked like when I cleaned all the grease and grim off the wires. I've since cut and soldered them.

Thenpicture re of the connector is where it connects to the ASR under the hood. There is a piece of metal coming off the plug that I am trying to figure out where it goes or if it is broken off something else
Old 03-25-2017, 10:10 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

The picture re of the connector is where it connects to the ASR under the hood. There is a piece of metal coming off the plug that I am trying to figure out where it goes or if it is broken off something else
That is my guess; that the metal tab is a mounting bracket. I just took at look at my 91 and I can't see anything that it resembles.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:07 PM
offroadjim
Advanced

Ok so I fixed the wires and took the car for a ride. Same situation I drive for about 5-8 min and then the "Service ASR" lights up and the "Security" and "SYS" start blinking. I jumped A/G and when I turn the key to on I get "C41", then changes to "H41, then 1 "---", the 4 "---"then 9 "H72", then 9 "---"

Any thoughts on all this?
Old 03-26-2017, 04:26 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

You system is running through the diagnostic codes.

You need to CLEAR your system by scrolling TRIP to go to the next test and ENG/MET to move through the prompts.

You need to get to the .7 (1.7, 4.7, etc) to clear.

There are a couple of great YouTube vids if you dont have a FSM
Old 03-26-2017, 09:00 PM
offroadjim
Advanced

When I got back from that test drive I went through and cleared the codes. Did not try to start it at that time. Went back outside about an hour later. Car cranks but doesn't start other than a couple start and stalls immediately. I disconnect the negative battery cable wait about 3 min. Reconnect it and the car starts right up. I noticed while connecting the battery cable that there is a polished cosmetic dress up piece covering the computer and its still warm to the touch after sitting for an hour in 40* temp so I removed that. Drive the car for 20 minutes and no alarms. Come back shut it off and it starts right back up. That was about 2 1/2 hours ago. Im going to let it sit another 30 min or so and take it for another drive.

Any my idea what those codes I previously got mean? My red FSM seems to be MIA
Old 03-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Blskas
3rd Gear

When I got back from that test drive I went through and cleared the codes. Did not try to start it at that time. Went back outside about an hour later. Car cranks but doesn't start other than a couple start and stalls immediately. I disconnect the negative battery cable wait about 3 min. Reconnect it and the car starts right up. I noticed while connecting the battery cable that there is a polished cosmetic dress up piece covering the computer and its still warm to the touch after sitting for an hour in 40* temp so I removed that. Drive the car for 20 minutes and no alarms. Come back shut it off and it starts right back up. That was about 2 1/2 hours ago. Im going to let it sit another 30 min or so and take it for another drive.

Any my idea what those codes I previously got mean? My red FSM seems to be MIA
C41 is current. It won't clear c41 should be lose of ECM serial communication.

Get notified of new replies

To Clearing codes

Old 03-27-2017, 12:05 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Sounds like an ECM problem, e.g. cold solder joints. My '92 had similar issues until I had the ECM fixed.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:29 AM
offroadjim
Advanced

I've waited to post and update to confirm the issue was fixed. I am happy to say after reading so many posts about the ECU I sent it out to SIA electronics and $160 later all issues are resolved. The car actually runs better and smoother than it ever has run in 9 years. I can't say enough about how grateful I am for all your input.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:40 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

I've waited to post and update to confirm the issue was fixed. I am happy to say after reading so many posts about the ECU I sent it out to SIA electronics and $160 later all issues are resolved. The car actually runs better and smoother than it ever has run in 9 years. I can't say enough about how grateful I am for all your input.
Cool, they fixed my ECM as well.

Quick Reply: Clearing codes