C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

NEED HELP !! WHat aftermarket pcm system to go with for LT4????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 03:18 PM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP !! WHat aftermarket pcm system to go with for LT4????????

FAST, DFI GEn.7, any others???

I want to know what my options are. My 389 LT4 is quite the complication for the ACCEL DFI 6 i have right now. I have not installed it and the shoppe is showing concerns that it will need lots of tuning to get it right. They are reccomending a gen.7 BUT the gen7 needs a crank sensor and then the shoppe is saying they will put a distributor in the back of the manifold... which i like (to get rid of the optispark).

What are my options for my 93?? Im going to email accel to see if the gen7 can work with my setup.
ANY help would be appreciated.... all this makes me want to :cry :cry

TIA :cheers:
Old 08-27-2003, 08:10 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: NEED HELP !! WHat aftermarket pcm system to go with for LT4???????? (DieL)

The old ACCEL DFI units had a ECM that connected and used the OPTI unit I can't imagine that with the GEN7 unit that it can't be done still. Definitly FAST does have a ECM that will interface with the OPTI unit. But still I would use the factory ECM.

[Modified by tjwong, 5:11 PM 8/27/2003]
Old 08-27-2003, 10:20 PM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: NEED HELP !! WHat aftermarket pcm system to go with for LT4???????? (tjwong)

thanxx tjwong, As you can see im quite stuck as to what to do. The shoppe wants to put in a distributor in the back of my lt4 manifold and use a gen 7, BUT i dont understand this crank trigger sensor deal that the gen7 needs.

I dont want to go with the stock computer because i was told by a few of the shoppe tuners that it wont run past 7200 and that the dfi 7 will allow to tune much much better for a more radical motor like mine.

I think i need to look into the fast. setup because its designed for the LT1/4s but i know absolutely nothing about it .. yet. I was thinking to go with the Coil/plug conversion and remove the rotor from the opti and go with a fast computer setup.... how does that sound? that way i dont feel like i wasted so much on a new 95 opti for the buildup and im not scared of drilling holes in my manifold for a distributor....

man im so confused... :sad: :sad: :sad: :(
Old 08-27-2003, 11:37 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: NEED HELP !! WHat aftermarket pcm system to go with for LT4???????? (DieL)

Here is a part number that I beleive is correct for an LT1 application with an Opti Spark. It is an Accel Gen7 part number: 77022L

This is the ECM and wire harness assembly for LT1 with opti spark distributors.

Here are some part numbers for the FAST systems:

These are sequential fired systems:

SFI LT1/LT4 with Opti-Spark and Fan/Fuel Pump Control 30-216000

SFI LT1/LT4 with Opti-Spark - Individual Cylinder Fuel and Spark Control Options and Fan/Fuel Pump Control included 30-216001

SFI LT1/LT4 with Opti-Spark - Wide Band Oxygen Sensor and Fan/Fuel Pump Control included 30-216010

SFI LT1/LT4 with Opti-Spark - Wide Band Oxygen Sensor and Individual Cylinder Fuel and Spark Control Options and Fan/Fuel Pump Control included 30-216011

SFI LT1/LT4 with Opti-Spark and Idle Air Control 30-216300

SFI LT1/LT4 with Opti-Spark and Idle Air Control - Individual Cylinder Fuel and Spark Control Options included 30-216301

SFI LT1/LT4 with Opti-Spark and Idle Air Control - Wide Band Oxygen Sensor 30-216310

SFI LT1/LT4 with Opti-Spark and Idle Air Control - Wide Band Oxygen Sensor and Individual Cylinder Fuel and Spark Control Options included 30-216311

Here are two batch fired systems:

LT1/LT4 with Opti-Spark 30-116000

LT1/LT4 with Opti-Spark- Wide Band Oxygen Sensor 30-116010

All of these systems will connect direct to the engine and Opti, and you won't have to install another distributor. If your man is telling you that you have to modify your intake for a distributor I think you had better be looking for another shop. Because there are systems available to connect direct. And here is a friend of mine that can help you, he is in Lousiana. He can do wonders with EFI tuning.

Chipsbyal@aol.com

his name is Al, tell him I sent you.

[Modified by tjwong, 8:51 PM 8/27/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 12:55 AM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: NEED HELP !! WHat aftermarket pcm system to go with for LT4???????? (tjwong)

WOW tjwong, ur the best!!! :cheers:

thats a lot of units for the LT1/4s. I figure since my car is a 93 i would need the one for the batch fired cars. F.AST is the only company i know that makes it a direct plug in (i think). I think my best bet is to speak to them and tell them what i need.

My shoppe isnt insisting on using a distributor, it was just a thought o- or an option i guess. Hes done it before and it works great. I dont think he knows that the accel gen7 makesa dfi for the LT1/4s. Ill check this out... much appreciated tjwong :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 08-28-2003, 01:18 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey your are in Toronto, call or contact these guys:
http://www.racetronix.com

They are a FAST dealer! I just got off the phone with the rep!
Old 08-28-2003, 01:46 PM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Ill call them right now. As of now though, Im being told the dfi7 is a better system to go with. They have a setup for the LT1 part # 77022L . Im leaning towards the gen7 and the LTCC conversion together.

lets see what they say (fastronix)...
:cheers:
Old 08-29-2003, 06:21 PM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Although FAST has a system that is able to read the high and low resolution signals from the Optispark in order to run sequential the eDist will not. You would still need to use the Optispark for spark distribution which is a problem in itself.

The Accel GEN VII is not able to interpret the Optispark's cam signal output therefore it can not run in sequential mode.

The only way to have your cake and eat it too is to install an Accel e-Sync distributor in your intake manifold which produces a cam and crank sensor output. In a LT1/4 this is a PITA. There was rumor of a interface box out there that would convert the Optispark signal such that it could be used with any aftermarket PCM. We have not seen this item though.

Jack :cool:
Racetronix
Old 08-29-2003, 09:10 PM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: NEED HELP !! WHat aftermarket pcm system to go with for LT4???????? (Racetronix)

man, thats pretty sad news. I wanted to run sequential. I spoke to a shoppe and they said they have doen it before but they have to get something custom from accel (the harness or something is modified) in order to run with the distributor. I am going to be using the LTCC which is the coil/plug setup as well. Man im so confused as to what to do. I was at my shoppe today and the guy who does the dfi installs was there... he seemed real knowledgeable, and says it wont be a problem at all. He also was wondering if there is a crank sensor or something as well... i dunno

In the 96 optispark there is a connector for a crank trigger or something.. I have a 95 opti, Is it possible to use the 96 opti and use that crank thingee for what the dfi needs????

i probably sound lost cuz i am... :confused:

i think maybe i shudda just sold and got a z06 :cry all this gets me so pissed off when things dont seem to come together. :mad :mad
Old 08-29-2003, 09:25 PM
Racetronix
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Pretty much any aftermarket PCM can use the std. Optispark crank signal output for non-sequential operation. There is also someone out there that makes custom discs for the Optispark so you can use the CAM sync output for sequential operation.

Unless you can get a CAM sync output that produces a pulse every 720 deg. of crank rotation (360 deg. cam) for #1 cylinder then you will not be able to run sequential with Optispark.

Jack :cool:
Racetronix
Old 08-29-2003, 10:48 PM
DieL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: NEED HELP !! WHat aftermarket pcm system to go with for LT4???????? (Racetronix)

its making a little more sense now.... I did read in that article on the opti that it read like 6something degrees .. i was wondering why it wasnt a full rotation or two. Not that i understand it but i think its all relates. This sucks... lol. are there any other ways to run it?? is my only option batch fire??

Get notified of new replies

To NEED HELP !! WHat aftermarket pcm system to go with for LT4????????

Quick Reply: NEED HELP !! WHat aftermarket pcm system to go with for LT4????????