C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Melrose Targa Top Lightweight Shell

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 10:52 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Melrose Targa Top Lightweight Shell

Has anyone purchased a Melrose Targa top lightweight shell. Many of you may not know that this is even an option but it is super cool. It is a super light weight top that is done in fiberglass but does not utilize the standard mounting brackets. They have to be installed with either a dzus fastener or another clip style fastener. Some may ask why do this and the simple answer is weight savings. Most of their clients who are running these are running them on road race cars but the concept applies to drag racing also. I spoke with Chris of Melrose today and this guy is SUPER nice and was super helpful. The reason I am posting this is because I am looking for someone who has installed one because I really want to see how it can be installed and how obvious it is. I am 99% sure I am going to purchase one but I want to see what they look like first. The weight savings is between 15 or 20+ lbs and maybe more depending on which top you already have according to Melrose. If you have this particular top...please post photos or e-mail them to me at sam@sammmiller.com. Thanks!
Old 01-27-2005, 12:17 AM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-27-2005, 02:40 AM
SLOWRIDE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting hope someone can shed some light on your question.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:39 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen one done, and it had the dzus fasters, but it was attached to a full cage.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:26 AM
4GTWRK
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sam,

I used the shell on my last racer. It is basically the top skin of the targa top. I installed mine by welding dzus plates to the windshield header and to the halo in the back. 5 up front and 4 in the back. It sounds like a lot of anchors, but the top will try to blow off at speed and is very distracting. You don't want to anchor to the cage because of body movement. Check out the pictures on my web site at http://www.r-dracing.com/91vette.htm I also installed the factory trim around the edge to give it fiished look. If you need a source for the plates give me a call, I usually have some in the box.

Dave
Old 01-28-2005, 01:41 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by R-D Racing
Sam,

I used the shell on my last racer. It is basically the top skin of the targa top. I installed mine by welding dzus plates to the windshield header and to the halo in the back. 5 up front and 4 in the back. It sounds like a lot of anchors, but the top will try to blow off at speed and is very distracting. You don't want to anchor to the cage because of body movement. Check out the pictures on my web site at http://www.r-dracing.com/91vette.htm I also installed the factory trim around the edge to give it fiished look. If you need a source for the plates give me a call, I usually have some in the box.

Dave
I really appreciate your help on this. I will take a look at the photos. Melrose told me that it is possible to save 20 lbs. In your opinion do you think it was worth it? I am leaning towards it being worth it but I would love to hear your thoughts since you have already done it. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does one of these things cost? I assume you are giving up the structural component of the standard targa top - so are you using R-D braces to stiffen the body and limit flex?

Carl "frustrated looking for replacement tops" Johansson
Old 01-28-2005, 10:28 PM
4GTWRK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Carl Johansson
What does one of these things cost? I assume you are giving up the structural component of the standard targa top - so are you using R-D braces to stiffen the body and limit flex?

You will have to have at least a Cross-frame under the car or a full cage to go with the skin top. For a street car it is not something that you would want to do. There is no way of having weatherstrip around the top. It's pretty much a race only type application. For a full race application, it's the only way to go.

Dave
Old 01-29-2005, 03:37 PM
NitrousSam
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The cost is very low...only $120 plus shipping. I have not bought one but I really like the idea. I am putting my car on a major diet and I have had some posts regarding some C4 weight reduction ideas and I got a tremendous number of ideas that were shared from other forum members. This was one mentioned and I researched it and found that it has merit but I wanted to see one installed first.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:19 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

Originally Posted by R-D Racing
You will have to have at least a Cross-frame under the car or a full cage to go with the skin top. For a street car it is not something that you would want to do. There is no way of having weatherstrip around the top. It's pretty much a race only type application. For a full race application, it's the only way to go.

Dave
Hey Dave,
I need to call you on this - I already have your roll bar set-up and I think I will be needing to go to the full roll cage set-up to run the 150 MPH class and run in la carerra etc. and I will be needing the crossframe setup also.
I do still drive the car around town and through the mountain though - but seeing as how I have 8 months of no rain - and 4 months of very predictable rain days it might be a setup I would be interested in.
Bet it noisy as hell huh!

Carl Johansson
Old 01-30-2005, 03:50 PM
4GTWRK
Melting Slicks

Huh???

Carl,

I'm pretty sure that it would be for street use. My RP car was totally gutted and the door shells were cut out so there was only an outer skin. Add boom tubes exiting the side of the car on each side and you were glad to have a helmet on to block the noise.

I know some of the race sanctions require the roof to be on, so here's an idea. Keep all your stock targa-top mounts in place and add some aluminum brackets to the skin for attaching it to your stock attachment points. Then just switch roofs when it's time to head to the track. You still will need a cage or Cross-frame to prevent the cowl shake, but when the rain comes you'll be able to roll up the windows and stay dry with your stock top still.

Dave
Old 01-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

I'm not sure why the huh? I'm guessing because I wasn't clear. I meant call you on the telephone - not questioning your info. Sorry about that.

I guess I'm back to looking for a fiberglass replacement.
Carl "and I thought topless was a good thing" johansson
Old 01-30-2005, 06:43 PM
4GTWRK
Melting Slicks

I'm not sure why the huh?
It's to noisy, I can't hear you!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Carl Johansson
Drifting

OK - I get it now. It only takes a day or two for this clever stuff to sink in - perhaps you can type a little slower -

Carl "dummer than dirt" Johansson

Get notified of new replies

To Melrose Targa Top Lightweight Shell

Quick Reply: Melrose Targa Top Lightweight Shell