C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Edelbrock SDT Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 02:12 PM
RichardJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edelbrock SDT Mufflers

I just finished getting my '87 back on the ground and have only driven it twice. I haven't had it aligned yet, so I won't be driving it again until then. I put in the full ES bushing set, rear hubs, "U" joints and front lower ball joints. I also had some new falkens mounted.
The SDT (sound deflection technology) mufflers they have out are not made for the Vette but I wanted to give them a try. 3" in and 2X 2.5" out made it a challenge, but I'm happy with them. There is some resonance in the 1200-1700 range, especially with light throttle and lugging. Accelerating thru that range is quieter. Above 2000 is quieter than I expected, yet very powerful sounding and seems to grab R's better than ever. Idle sounds very much like the stock but slightly louder. The difference here is that with the windows up, that same slightly louder idle is now heard inside. The idle is however, smoother. I haven't put my tach on it yet, but the dash tach sits on "7". Before my engine idled at about 740 and as you know the dash tach flips to "8" at 750 so it would occasionaly show "8" and then back. Now it's a rock solid "7".
I thought about getting Flowmasters, in fact I bought them and took them back. In my opinion, they are just to d*** ugly for words. I don't know if they think people want to look at their mufflers or they are just to lazy or cheap to put the mufflers up in the stock location, where they belong. I used the stock tips and "y" pipe extentions and the mufflers are not visible from the rear or the side. The SDT and the flowmaster muffler are the same length and width as the stock, but more than an inch thinner.
I discovered that the idler belt tensioner pulley was noisy. In order to get the right upper control arm off the car, the idler had to be removed. That bearing is the same bearing Chevy uses in many of the Delco alternators. $7 from a local bearing supply and took 2 minutes to press out and in.
Did someone post a thread several weeks back about a large SUCKING SOUND ? Did I forget to mention I'm putting in the door and window rubber right now and seat upolstery, door panels and carpet should be in a UPS truck as I write this.
I hope I enjoy driving this car even more than before. I bought this car for $8000 about eight years ago. I'm in the process of putting about $4000 into it and I'll have a $7000 car when I'm finished. Ya gotta love it.

Last edited by RichardJ; 07-26-2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:06 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pics?!

I had not heard anything about those mufflers before. That's good to know.

And I agree with you about the looks of the flowmasters...
Old 07-27-2005, 01:45 AM
ZD1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichardJ
I just finished getting my '87 back on the ground and have only driven it twice.
The SDT (sound deflection technology) mufflers they have out are not made for the Vette but I wanted to give them a try. 3" in and 2X 2.5" out made it a challenge, but I'm happy with them. T
What is sad it that edelbrock took spintech technology and called it their own. Hopefully someone is getting royalties.

Get notified of new replies

To Edelbrock SDT Mufflers

Quick Reply: Edelbrock SDT Mufflers