C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Crate engines: gross or net HP?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:22 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Crate engines: gross or net HP?

I know modern cars are rated with all accesories, exhaust, etc. from the factory (net), but I wouldn't think aftermarket crate engines would be rated the same. They would have to have all the other items in order to make it a net rating and it would very per make of car(depending on exhaust, intake/filter system, etc.), so I would think they would be rated with gross HP. What do you guys think?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:37 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,021 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Usually they are rated with everything on, but with headers as well.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Morley
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a mfg's crate engine (GM, _ord, etc) it is SAE Net. The other builders...who knows what they use for ratings.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Aidoneus
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're specifically talking about the GM ZZ4 motor, the horsepower numbers are at the crank and are for a carbed engine, not for our TPI setup. There are extensive conversations about this. "Dougs 90" has a very good post about the ZZ4, should be able to find it and others pretty easy with the search function for zz4.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Dougs 90
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Aidoneus
If you're specifically talking about the GM ZZ4 motor, the horsepower numbers are at the crank and are for a carbed engine, not for our TPI setup. There are extensive conversations about this. "Dougs 90" has a very good post about the ZZ4, should be able to find it and others pretty easy with the search function for zz4.
Thanks!

As for Crate engines, the ratings are at the crank. As far as accessories being driven during the dyno, I am going to go out on a limb and say most likely only the alternator and waterpump are hooked up, basically the necessities to run the motor. As for the ZZ4 it is a good bang for the buck if you don't have a good local engine builder available. For what it is worth, nearly the same amount of money will get you a 383-400+ FORGED shortblock. You have all of the accessories, might wanna spring for some new heads though.The manifold, carb, distributor etc will all get pulled anyway, so spend the money on displacement and quality forged internals.

Doug
Old 08-06-2005, 10:55 AM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dougs 90
Thanks!

As for Crate engines, the ratings are at the crank. As far as accessories being driven during the dyno, I am going to go out on a limb and say most likely only the alternator and waterpump are hooked up, basically the necessities to run the motor. As for the ZZ4 it is a good bang for the buck if you don't have a good local engine builder available. For what it is worth, nearly the same amount of money will get you a 383-400+ FORGED shortblock. You have all of the accessories, might wanna spring for some new heads though.The manifold, carb, distributor etc will all get pulled anyway, so spend the money on displacement and quality forged internals.

Doug

Look at the new 396 LT4 Golen offers (they have the old 383 chart listed) assuming it is 520 net/crank HP, what do you think it would put to the ground with headers, 3" exhaust, 58mm TB, etc.?
15% loss = 442 rwhp/438 rwtq
$7900 and no core seems pretty reasonable if it put down the above #s.
http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/lt1_lt4.html
Old 08-10-2005, 10:12 AM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Has anyone bought one of the 396 LT4's from Golens? I am very close to ordering one today...with LT4 intake, injectors, adjustable fuel regulator, and computer reprogramming. I figure I can sell my running LT1 out of my 95 vette for around $2k?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:28 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

I have no personal experience with them, but they have a good rep. in mags. and on TV shows I have seen. They also have a lifetime guarantee on workamnship, and they seem to be very detail oriented, read the 383 build up they have on their site form a magazine, 3 parts.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:49 PM
millie
Intermediate

call these guys they will know.
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/
Old 08-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Ray383
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an all forged, 4 bolt w/ ARP studs, roller 383 from Golen. Told me it would hold 700-800 hp. He gapped the rings for NOS and used 6.0 H-beam rods. No core, and I had it in my hands 3 weeks after the day I ordered it. I told him I needed it quickly and he delivered.
Owner is the guy you talk to when you call. He is very helpfull and knowledgeable. I talked to him for over a half hour with him on the phone 2 or 3 times. I was so happy with the quality of the work and the parts use, I'm going to him for a motor for a Camaro project I'm starting.

Get notified of new replies

To Crate engines: gross or net HP?

Quick Reply: Crate engines: gross or net HP?