C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dana 44 Pinion Seals

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 12:42 AM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dana 44 Pinion Seals

Purchased a complete Dana 44 center section W/ 4.10 gears recently on eBay, went out to install a new pinion seal this evening and found the pinion seal was much smaller than the new (factory GM seal).

Both cases are stamped from GM as 1995 model cases, the pinion yoke/flange has been changed, as it takes U-bolts for the driveshaft u-joint instead of the standard bolt type plates.

I need to figure out what this yoke/flange came from so I can order another new pinion seal, any ideas? Did the C4 Era Dana 44 come with different pinion yokes/seal over the various years?

Seal on left is from the new 4.10 geared Dana 44/ Seal on right is from a stock 1995 model Dana 44;

Last edited by superlund; 09-10-2005 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Widebody
Racer

Hey man, you're not going to do many open road events with 4:10s.
Haven't heard from you in a while. Anyway, my new rear with 3:33s that Tom's built came with u-bolts. My original rear with 3:07s had the strap type (I just looked since it's sitting on the floor). Might have something to do with the change of pinion gear? Don't know if that helps.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:05 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Often the P/N and or manufacturer's Id is on the seal.
Is there a number/manufacturer's ID on the old seal?
If so call around and cross reference the seal.

Mike
Old 09-10-2005, 09:38 AM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Terry, I still have the complete 3.45 center section, so it's a simple swap between the 3.45 & 4.10 pumpkin and I'm ready to ORR again!
Pinion drive yoke/flange has been changed, and the thread is smaller on the 4.10 pinion/nut as compared to my stock 3.45 Dana.

Mike, the only number/identification I can find on the smaller seal is "5778" on the inside of the seal, hoping I could get a lead on what year this drive yoke came from, then I could go down & start comparing seals at NAPA or something, need to narrow the field some first...

-Jim
Old 09-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Shrek
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drop in on your local industrial bearing supply company with the seal, the guys behind the counter should be able to match it up pretty quick. When I restored an 80 a couple of years ago, I took a box full of various bearings and seals to my local supply house and got everything at a huge savings. They get the stuff from the same makers that GM does. Only differance is GM repackages it, puts a GM part # on it, and then jacks the price up on it.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:29 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
Drop in on your local industrial bearing supply company with the seal, the guys behind the counter should be able to match it up pretty quick. When I restored an 80 a couple of years ago, I took a box full of various bearings and seals to my local supply house and got everything at a huge savings. They get the stuff from the same makers that GM does. Only differance is GM repackages it, puts a GM part # on it, and then jacks the price up on it.
That's what I did I called around and one shop had a cross reference list for my seal. However, it took 3 days to come in. Makes me miss the Memphis area I never had to wait for parts.

Mike
Old 09-10-2005, 01:33 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

I may need to try that on Monday, would like to get it buttoned back up this weekend if possible, which will require me to purchase the seal from somplace like autozone or NAPA.

I believe the C4 Dana 44 is a Super Dana 44 which uses a Dana 60 pinion & a Dana 44 ring gear, just counted the splines and the 4.10 pinion/flange has 26 splines & the stock 3.45 has 29 splines. I just need to figure out what this new pinion & flange came from now! I am told by the seller it was assembled by Lingenfelter....

A couple more pics of the pinion fllanges, left pic is the new 4.10 right is the stock 3.45;

Old 09-10-2005, 04:08 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Man! You make it difficult to help you. Your pictures took quite a while to "develop" and when they finally did, they stretched the format to where every line of text was 2 screens wide. I had to pan and scan just to read the text. Anyhow, the 5778 you found on the old seal is a National Oil Seal part number for a common Dana 44 pinion seal. Hopefully knowing the brand and part number will speed things up for you.

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:50 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Thanks CFI, haven't posted pics in months, guess the forum software doesn't auto resize them anymore...

So the 5778 seal is listed for a "common" Dana 44, what is a "common" Dana 44? Seem to remember something about certain Chevy trucks using the 44??

-Jim
Old 09-10-2005, 08:21 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Where ever you go shopping should be able to work with the National number. Most (Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Jeep, IHC) 1/2 and 3/4 ton 4X4 front axles were Spicer (Dana) 44s in the 60s, 70s, and much of the 80s. Not to mention lots and lots of trucks that used them as rear axles, too. For instance, that seal was used in Chevy 1/2 ton 4X4 front axles from 1960-1982, with the Spicer 44 axle. In 1977 Chevy used a GM Corporate axle interchangeably with the Spicer. You need the seal for the Spicer axle, not the GM axle. That seal should be MUCH easier to find then the one that came in the car.

RACE ON!!!
Old 09-10-2005, 10:01 PM
superlund
Burning Brakes

Thanks again CFI good Info, will pick one up tomorow. Still not real clear to me what pinion gear has been used in this setup, my guess is a standard/common Dana 44 ring and pinion. Seem to remember some discussion about "kits" that allow the use of standard 44 gear sets in the super dana 44.

-Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Dana 44 Pinion Seals

Quick Reply: Dana 44 Pinion Seals