C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 owners - help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 10:12 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Default 86 owners - help

I am helping a friend replace the intake gasket on his 86. There are a few things different than my 85.

On the passangers side rear, there is a tube that comes up from exhaust manifold up and over to the intake manifold. This is wrapped in what looks like an asbestos cloth. Does this bolt onto the two (2) manifolds? Are there gaskets between this tube and the manifold? This is about the last thing before we pull the intake and replace the gaskets.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

This is the EGR pipe. It bolts on between the intake and exhaust manifold. You will need two gaskets for this. The aluminum head L98's have this pipe as opposed to the earlier cars with iron heads that had this path machined into the head.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:07 PM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an iron head early '86 and the EGR tube you are referring to is attached to the intake manifold with two torx bolts and is attached to the exhaust manifold with a steel clamp. The only place a gasket is used is on the intake side. BTW, the steel clamp is a PITA to remove and a new clamp is even more of a PITA to crimp closed because of the limited space. Send me a PM if you have any questions.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:32 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks for the information, none of my books said anything about this tube. I had a good idea that this was part of the EGR since it went from intake to exhaust. My 85 doesn't have it and the SuperRam base that I put on my 85 doesn't have this either. Nothing like puttng a direct heat source next to the distributor. I can see there this is a PITA ..... just like about 80% of the bolts on a vet!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you pull the distributor first, you will have an easier time getting to the top EGR tube bolt at the manifold. My upper egr tube bolt stripped out, but I was able to remove it with a pair of channel locks. New bolts are available from your local chevy dealer.

If the crimp ring connection should fail or be unsatisfactory on the other end of the egr tube, I have had good luck in repcrimping it with a tool I bought from harbor freight. I have a few pictures on my site here:

my 86' vette picture page

And I would be happy to discuss my technique should replacement become necessary. Just send me a PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:56 AM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Siveck
This is the EGR pipe. It bolts on between the intake and exhaust manifold. You will need two gaskets for this. The aluminum head L98's have this pipe as opposed to the earlier cars with iron heads that had this path machined into the head.
I iron heads and that pipe is still there. They didnt remove it, at least not for my 86.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:21 PM
C4driver99
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To 86 owners - help

Quick Reply: 86 owners - help