C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rough Idle driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 11:38 AM
tholm1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idle driving me crazy!

I have a rough idle that goes away with a little bit of pedal. When I start the car it takes a little bit of cranking before the engine fires. Sometimes in the morning it will even blow out smoke. I thought it might be a leaking injector, however when I pulled of the injection rail, none of the injectors where leaking with the ignition key turned to on. Do I need to jump the fuel pump relay if the engine isn't running to get the fuel pump to fully pressurize the fuel rail?

My suspicion is the IAC Valve passage in the throttle body is clogged with 127k miles of crap and not letting enough air in the engine. Or maybe it's the timing chain having too much slack in it and causing the timing to be erratic at idle?

No trouble codes and it just passed emissions will flying colors. Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:51 AM
cplonner
Burning Brakes

The fuel pump will prime when you turn the power to the car on. Before you worry about the timing chain the bad iac or clogged iac hole seems more frequent of a problem. I would check that first, also cleaning the whole throttle body its self could solve your problem. Its pretty easy to do and can really change how smooth the car runs.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:11 PM
tholm1
Advanced

This weekend I'll be sure to take the throttle body off and clean it up real good
Old 04-03-2006, 03:20 PM
ccmano
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by tholm1
This weekend I'll be sure to take the throttle body off and clean it up real good
Best thing I ever did to smooth the idle, mine only had 35K miles on it. You'd be surprised how much gunk forms there. Get a can of "Throttle Body" cleaner and don't use carberator cleaner (too caustic) and make sure you get everthing out of there. Use an old tooth brush.
Have fun....

Last edited by ccmano; 04-03-2006 at 03:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rough Idle driving me crazy!

Quick Reply: Rough Idle driving me crazy!