C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Blue smoke on startup!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 06:48 PM
jeffro123
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue smoke on startup!!!

I have a '93 with a regular engine. I have a problem that seems to be getting progressively worse. When I start up, I have a good bit of blue smoke coming out of the left tailpipe, and sometimes even get a backfire. The smoke smells very gassy and seems to go away after a couple of minutes. The engine seems to smooth out and run normally after a couple of minutes as well.
I have a suspicion I am looking at a bad injector which could be leaking into the engine during the days the car is not run-seems to be much worse when the car has been sitting for a while.
I am not sure what the problem is, or how to test things out. Just wondering if anyone else out there has had similar trobles.
-Thanks!
-Jeffro
Old 06-12-2006, 08:15 PM
bacardioil
Pro

sounds like you need valve seals
regards gene
Old 06-12-2006, 08:18 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Blue smoke on start up indicates worn valve seals, if just on start up. The gassy smell would probably indicate a failing injector. You can ohm the coil by using an ohm meter and disconnecting the pigtail off each. Use the red lead and black lead and touch each connector on the injectors. They should read around 16 ohm each and do it cold and hot engine. Another test would be to use a fuel pressure guage and turn the key on and then off and watch the guage after the pressure builds up. A steady fall in pressure would point to a leaky injector, check valve, or FPR. Is it harder to start after the engine is hot?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:45 PM
jeffro123
3rd Gear

Default Not harder to start...

I wouldn't say it gets harder to start after running for a while. Seems like it does idle a little high from time to time, but I usually just turn the a/c on when it does this and it goes right back to normal.
-Thanks
-Jeffro
Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 PM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Blue smoke is oil, black smoke is gas. Just look at your underwear. White smoke is alot of work!

Seriously though. Maybe the worn valve seals have caused
an oil fouled plug, thus the gassy smell.

Get notified of new replies

To Blue smoke on startup!!!

Quick Reply: Blue smoke on startup!!!