C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

R12 to R134 conversion, what did you guys do on the high side??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 12:47 AM
93*Corvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default R12 to R134 conversion, what did you guys do on the high side??

Just curious what you guys did... On the high side connector on my 93, it has a recessed fitting (ie the valve stem is deeply embedded). So when doing a conversion to R134, did you guys just skipped the step on putting the new R134 valve fitting? It just doesn't seem right to install something that can't work since it can't press the valve anyways. The low side doesn't have this problem since the valve stem is near the top.
Here is a picture of the valve...

Old 06-15-2006, 12:13 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Never seen a high side on an R12 car that looks like the one in the picture and I doubt my hoses would depress that core. Maybe it is stock, but it looks like someone put something generic in there or swapped out the core with something that didn't quite fit. I'd stop by an a/c shop and see if they can fix you up with something that will work. Charging and not knowing what the high side is can lead to less than optimal results.

Last edited by SunCr; 06-15-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:32 PM
todd_vette87

Old 06-15-2006, 04:31 PM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 196 Posts

On mine I had a large quick disconnect fitting that screwed down over the fitting you show and it came with a red plastic cap. BTW the conversion kit worked great on mine!
Old 06-15-2006, 05:17 PM
88BigGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanD
BTW the conversion kit worked great on mine!
I have an 88, where do you get this conversion kit and how much is it?

My Air is dead and we are actualy getting warm weather up here in Canada.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:35 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 196 Posts

Do a search here and you'll find lot's of information, I used a kit I got at Autozone, but most parts stores carry something equivelent. Mine came with a charging line that had a pressure gage so you can see how good the charge is and two 12oz(larger) cans of 134a that has oil and a sealant in it for high mileage cars. You have to get rid of the R12 and then fill it with the 134a, did it 5 months ago and works great. My system was low on R12 but still had pressure so I didn't have to worry about leaks, if you have leaks you have to deal with that first. Many poeple will say you need different orifices or other parts. Worked with the stock parts good enough for me. The best thing is if you do have a slow leak you can just go into the parts store and buy more 134a. There are cheap kits that have a small can of 134a and a cheap line with no pressure gage, very inexpensive but I want to know how it's working.

Originally Posted by 88BigGuy
I have an 88, where do you get this conversion kit and how much is it?

My Air is dead and we are actualy getting warm weather up here in Canada.

Get notified of new replies

To R12 to R134 conversion, what did you guys do on the high side??

Quick Reply: R12 to R134 conversion, what did you guys do on the high side??