C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AC Varible Orifice Valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default AC Variable Orifice Valve

Here is an interesting three part article on the newer "variable orifice valves" (VOV) -- it is somewhat technical, but good information.

These valves are a drop-in change for the existing fixed orifice valves in most automotive AC systems.

http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/VOV1.htm

Tom Piper

Last edited by Tom Piper; 06-14-2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:26 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

They've been out for at least a year. I remember reading about them last summer when I was doing some A/C repair work on my Vette.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:01 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Most of the pros on the Board at www.ackits.com say they're junk. Don't know of any OEM that uses them either. GM's variable displacement compressor (here's a brief overview: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...4/ai_n13780360 ) approaches it from a somewhat different angle, but of all the systems I've owned, that's been the only one that never gave me any problems (and it's nice to have something that never cycles).
Old 06-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Alvin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

IT would be neat to see some sort of modern safer version of a lithium bromide ac used on auto's to make use of all the waste heat.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:10 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Alvin
IT would be neat to see some sort of modern safer version of a lithium bromide ac used on auto's to make use of all the waste heat.
You lost me - doesn't that stuff boil at 2500 degrees? I don't know how you would turn that into cold air unless you use the steam to spin the compressor??? Current designs is to remove the compressor from the accessory drive train - I think the hybrids all ready do - add a super capacitor to run it and maybe you've saved something - though the future promises 16 to 32 volt systems instead.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:29 PM
Alvin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Look up lithium bromide, ice from fire, or adsorbtion cycle refrigerators and you'll find a bunch of info. They have been around for along time. The problem is it could blind someone.

We did a few projects where we where able to run a fairly nice sized adsorbtion cycle refrigerator off the exhaust of a typical household gas water heater.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:46 AM
jimtreber
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

See my post under the "134 Super" title. It's been about 3 years since I installed a varible orifice tube. I did it at the same time of the Freeze 12 conversion, so I don't know how it relates to the final performance of the system but I couldn't be happier. Many thanks to Sun CR for the guidence in getting the system going, but note he wasn't the one who recommended the Freeze 12.

Get notified of new replies

To AC Varible Orifice Valve

Quick Reply: AC Varible Orifice Valve