C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question on 87 headlight relays

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Don in Vermont
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on 87 headlight relays

Hi All,

Happy 4th to all

I have a question regarding the 3 motor relays that control the headlight motors on my 87.

I suspected a bad relay was causing my HL door motor problem. When I removed the relay cover on the fender well I noticed that the connectors were covered with some tar like black substance. When I got deeper into the relay removal I noticed that the black stuff was the relay sealant. The sealant appeared to have melted and run up the contacts and gummed everything up. The relays were a mess. I cleaned up the contacts with brake cleaner and I have ordered 3 new relays. Has any one else experienced this?

Regards.

Don in VT
Old 07-04-2006, 11:16 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The black stuff is a weatherproofing sealant used to keep moisture out of the connectors not necessairly inside the relays. The relays should not get that hot so that it melts, and down in the wheelwell the underhood temps should not be a factor. The relays sit at an angle but with the connector pointed doward, the sealant should not have flowed up into the body of the relay.

If the sealant got inside the relaybody , it probably was not sealed correctly from the manufacturer.

Look at some of the other relays and you will see the same thing around the wire connector. On my '87, the wire connector around the wire connection to the wiper motor appears to be burned but it's the sealant that makes it look that way.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Don in Vermont
Instructor

Default 87 Relays

Thanks C4 Cruiser for the tip. When my relays come in I will ask the dealer to sell me more sealant.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:11 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I just ordered three new relays for my 86 too.

I -AGAIN -started having headlight door opening/closing problems.

The passenger side headlight would open but not close while at the same time the driver's side worked fine.

I swapped the two relays and after doing that the driver's side wouldn't open. I swapped them back to their original positions so at least both would open during night driving. I have to manually close the passenger side though.

I soon got fed up with that, broke-down and I ordered three new ones. I hope that solves my problem.

Jake
Old 07-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Don in Vermont
Instructor

Default HL door relays

Hi Jake,

I just ordered my new relays from AutoZone today myself. Good luck.

Regards,

Don in VT
Old 07-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Smithdogs
Heel & Toe

Default Relays

Don,
Did that fix your problem? My light still will not go up, they will go down, but not up. Crazy. I replaced the Isolation relay, but nada, nothing. Lights come on, but will not go up. Mine is a 86, nylon gears,
Marc
Old 07-26-2006, 10:54 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I waited almost three weeks for mine from ZIP PRODUCTS, but they're still on back order. So I cancelled the order and went to my local O'Reilly's and all three were in their warehouse.

I'll pick them up today and will post on whether they solve my problem.

Jake

Get notified of new replies

To Question on 87 headlight relays

Quick Reply: Question on 87 headlight relays