C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dash Carpet Panels...What a PITA!! But Doable..

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 04:34 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Dash Carpet Panels...What a PITA!! But Doable..

The drivers side was easy..(84-89 cars)
You take the philips screws off the panels under/around the steering wheel and the side of the dash by the hood release and drop the black kick panel down taking off a few 7 MM bolts.

Then,Once you pull the carpet off halfway,starting from the farthest under the dash and work your way forward towards the seat,it will expose two deep holes w/13 MM bolts and then the entire carpet panel will now come out.

That means I need to glue the carpet on around the edges to the carpet panel and then when I install the panel back to the dash, using the two 13 MM bolt, Ill have to reglue the rest of the carpet to it while its in the car.

The passenger side carpet panel is another great piece of work by GM engineers that were smoking crack.
Youre better off trying to pull the carpet off from underneath and reinstall the new one while its still in the car.

I was about to do that, I pulled the carpet off and tried to see if I could get the new carpet in there for a trial fit and I realized it wouldnt come out smooth and eventually form bumps from hanging down in various places if not glued on the correct way.

I already had the bread box removed and had a custom made wood panel covered by black vinyl in place of the old bread box (held on by 4 torx screws) so It was easier for me to remove this flat custom panel and not have to take the dash off the top and remove everything in there.

I dropped the kick panel down from under the dash,and I then dropped the ecm down(disconnect the negative before you do this) to gain more clearance.

Theres FOUR 13 MM nuts you can see when looking inside the dash area olding the carpet panel in place.
The openings to get a wrench in there at the top is just enough to get a wrench in but not be able to loosen or tighten it.

The 2 bottom nuts can be reached up from underneath and loosened by hand once the ecm is down out of the way.

The 2 top nuts as I stated is tougher to do, and a small 1/4 inch power ratchet with a 13 MM socket will be able to get this off.
I did it by hand with a 13mm wrench and got them off on top.
WHEW! Took me an hour or more.

Once all 4 nuts are off, it doesnt come out yet!!
Theres a clip staring at you in the face of the dash opening where the breadbox used to be, its a 7mm screw, and its on backwards!!
:eek:
There is no way to get behind there, unless you have a 7mm wrench bent at 90º angle.

I think there may be two of these 7 mm screws, one on each end, but mine was missing on the right side, so only had one to deal with.

I took a pair of pliers and grabbed the screw and backed it off the clip by the threads until it came out from the inside.

Im going to reinstall this clip and 7 MM screw my way, which is making it accessible from the front.
Just flip it around.

Now that both carpet panels are out and I can now glue them on correctly and trim any possible areas to get them to stay on fully.

The drivers side as I stated needs to be partially glued so you can screw the panel back in place since the carpet goes over the holes.Then glue the rest in the car.

The passenger side has 4 studs so you can just glue the carpet completely on and reinstall through the bottom and attach the 4 nuts on top inside the dash to their studs that come through.

Getting it off was one thing, putthing it back on will be something very different.
My swear jar will explode from the weight of the coins when im done.
:cuss

I wanted to thank the person who posted that link on what was involved.Because my breadbox had already been removed a few years back,it was much easier and less work to get in there and get started.
Thanks again and hope this helps some of you who are thinking of doing so.

Quick Reply: Dash Carpet Panels...What a PITA!! But Doable..