C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 01:30 PM
dechilders
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default speed sensor

I searched speed sensor, VSS, sensor repair, bad VSS, and a couple of others and didn't find what I'm looking for. It looks like transmission fluid is leaking at the VSS. Does this have a seal or does the sensor act as the seal. Transmission fluid is leaking onto my exhaust and creating fumes when you stop or slow son. Does the transmission need to be pulled to change it out or can it be done in place? Does it screw in or have a holding bracket I can't see? Any help as to what it takes to replace the sensor or stop the leak would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If you can't see the clamp that holds it in the transmission, that may be why it is leaking. The VSS has an O ring around it's OD to seal it. Once the retaining bolt and clamp (kind of like the distributor clamp and bolt) are removed, the VSS simply slides out of the transmission.

RACE ON!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Your 95 has the hold down bracket as part of the sensor. It has a single 10 mm bolt holding it in. Removing the bolt allows the sensor to pull straight out. There is an o-ring on it to seal it. Sometimes replacing the o-ring does not stop the leak because it can leak fron the crimped area or through the sensor.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:33 PM
dechilders
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thanks

I'll look this weekend and see if I just didn't notice the bracket or if it is missing. Not the easiest thing to get under one of these without a lift. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:48 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The sensor is about 36.00 from NAPA, it as easy as pie to replace ...once you have accesss to the underside of the Vette

Get notified of new replies

To speed sensor

Quick Reply: speed sensor