C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Spider cracking on front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:12 AM
dtpmike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spider cracking on front bumper

I am looking at a car that has some spider cracking on the front bumper. He said he hit a cone while driving and it put a 5" x 5" spot on the front bumper that has spider cracking throughout. It is a 96.

If I had it repainted, would the cracking come back? Do you think the cracking went through the urethane bumper or just the paint?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:19 AM
corvette49rdave
Instructor

A detailed picture would go a long way towards determining the extent of the paint damage, but generally, repainting (by a GOOD paint/body shop, using a flex additive in the paint for the plastic bumper fascia) should do the trick. If the damage went all the way into the bumper (and not just the paint itself), it would be pretty evident (would look a lot worse than just spider-webbed paint). If you can take a photo and post it here, maybe someone can give you a better idea...
Old 05-09-2007, 09:03 AM
dtpmike
Instructor

Here are the pictures. On the second picture the cracking is on the upper bumper section inbetween the emblem and the passenger side headlight. The owner said he was driving and hit a cone in the road.... I think a plastic or rubber cone.

How much do you think it would cost to have this fixed right? Do you think the urethane bumper is cracked as well?

From what I am told the spider cracking is about a 5" x 5"

Last edited by dtpmike; 05-09-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:13 AM
87vette
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like its just the paint.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Someone tapped the front of my car and it spidered...I had a very good vette body shop look at it and he said $600 to fix properly...good luck
Old 05-09-2007, 09:17 AM
dtpmike
Instructor

I was guessing about $500. I used to have an 89 Camaro and I got rear ended and it caused spider cracking, but I think it went into the bumper as well.

I had it painted, but after a couple of years the cracking came back. This time I would want to fix it right.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:49 AM
dtpmike
Instructor

other opinions?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:11 AM
pr1mu5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dtpmike
other opinions?
I have some pictures somewhere, but here's what I did, and I think it looks great.

Go buy one of those little nail-polish sized bottles of Duplicolor paint from Advance Auto/zone. Get the ones that have a ball-point in them!!

To use the ball point pen, take the nail-polish brush out, and remove the orange cap from the brush part. Screw it back on, and now you can actually DRAW with the pen.

It is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for drawing over all those spider crack veins on bumpers.

Now, if you're standing within a foot of the bumper and staring at it, sure, you can see the paint work, but from 4-5 feet away you can't really tell at all. Considering the cost, it was a great idea for me.

I figure when my car is worth $40,000 as a collector, maybe THEN I will get the bumpers redone, but until then, it is my DD and paying $1200 for new bumpers just to have same idiot crack them up again, it's not worth it.

PM if you want pics, I'll try and get some tonight (I think I have before/after)

Get notified of new replies

To Spider cracking on front bumper

Quick Reply: Spider cracking on front bumper