C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 Missing and Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:28 PM
jghmczo6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Missing and Hesitation

Stopped at a traffic light, my car began to miss with a heavy lobe and it almost stalls. This occurs after the car begins to warm up to 180* to 200* as soon as I put the car into drive (automatic) the missing intensifies to the point of stall, however it has not stalled, and when I shut off the car it starts immediatly. Not sure if I am getting to much fuel or not enough, also a strong smell from the exhaust after the car has reached normal running temperature.I have searched this forum extensively and checked MAP, IAC connection, vacuum lines, fuel leaks, fuses, plug wires, TB. Have not checked fuel pump and sending unit. New headers and corsica exhaust installed with two cats. I am thinking injectors, original multitec, what is confusing is this occured almost instantly this was not a noticable building problem that I negelected by pretending it did not exist, I drive without the radio on most of the time just to listen to the car.

Your help is appreciated
Old 05-11-2007, 03:15 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ohm out the injectors. Attach a fuel pressure gauge and check for leaky injectors.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:45 AM
juanway
Advanced

Originally Posted by jghmczo6
Stopped at a traffic light, my car began to miss with a heavy lobe and it almost stalls. This occurs after the car begins to warm up to 180* to 200* as soon as I put the car into drive (automatic) the missing intensifies to the point of stall, however it has not stalled, and when I shut off the car it starts immediatly. Not sure if I am getting to much fuel or not enough, also a strong smell from the exhaust after the car has reached normal running temperature.I have searched this forum extensively and checked MAP, IAC connection, vacuum lines, fuel leaks, fuses, plug wires, TB. Have not checked fuel pump and sending unit. New headers and corsica exhaust installed with two cats. I am thinking injectors, original multitec, what is confusing is this occured almost instantly this was not a noticable building problem that I negelected by pretending it did not exist, I drive without the radio on most of the time just to listen to the car.

Your help is appreciated
My fuel filter was plugged and my MAF sensor was bad. To trouble shoot the MAF Just unplug it and start and drive the car if it runs better and not wanting to die Its the MAF. advanced auto 169.00 life time warranty.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like it could be the IAC valve. Fuel Filter is another possibility.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:51 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by RRT vette
Ohm out the injectors. Attach a fuel pressure gauge and check for leaky injectors.

After that if that is not it I would check spark
Sounds like it could be bad coil(s)
Its a L98 right?
Old 05-13-2007, 01:59 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

A common problem with spark modules with some age is they provide a weak spark when they get to operating temperature. Engine hot, pull a plug wire and bring a grounded wire close to the plug wire. You should easily have a 1/2 inch spark that is bright and snappy. You can even compare the spark when the engine is cold. Weak spark also makes for hard hot starting.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:42 AM
dagrump
Instructor

i had the same exact problem. ohm the injectors and i'm sure you will find a couple of bad ones. 16 to 17 ohms cold. my 91 has only 56000 miles and had 2 bad injectors. from doing research and asking ques. on this forum i found out that the multec injectors are pretty much junk.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:45 PM
jghmczo6
Racer

It was the injectors and the o2 sensor, installed Bosch 24# and the car runs great, no hesitation just smooth.

Thanks for all your comments
Old 05-22-2007, 10:54 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jghmczo6
It was the injectors and the o2 sensor, installed Bosch 24# and the car runs great, no hesitation just smooth.

Thanks for all your comments
I am not sure Arizona requires an emission test when you renew your license plates. Your car may be running a little rich due to having the 24 pounders instead of the 22s. FYI only.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:09 AM
BrassRing
Intermediate

I had almost the exact same problem. Ohm out your injectors, hot and cold. They are probably going bad, resulting in a lean condition. Lean = hot. This may be damaging your cats and causing the bad smell. Are the cats rattling? Put your hand near the exhaust tips. Weak pressure? If so, your cats are failing by clogging up. Another symptom of the lean = hot condition are red hot pre cats (check em in the evening or at night after the car is at operating temp).

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Missing and Hesitation

Quick Reply: 1990 Missing and Hesitation