C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Recommend me an air compressor for air tools...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I went into lowes and seen this one,or one like it on their floor.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...HFV&lpage=none

They have a selection of different types you can see on the websites too.
Or go to your local store if theres one nearby and check them out.Im unsure which ones are 220 or less,but Im going to get one of these over a Craftsman..craftsman quality isnt what it used to be,just my opinion.

Seems all the older units people bought years back are the best...

Just wanted to share this...Im looking at the 499 stand up unit from lowes.Anything under 30 gallon tanks isnt always worth a damn with continous power tools and etc. especially if you like to use it alot.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:53 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
CC, you're being pushed to spend money unecessarily.

Buy the $280 Craftsman.

If I understand you correctly, you are going to buy a nice one and rig up the entire garage once the house is done. That's where you spend your money. That's when you run copper lines, put in a 220V circuit, and get a n oiled compressor that's quiet and powerful.

Until then, you can easily run a nail gun or anything else off the cheap one at the top of your list. I lived with that exact compressor for years and ran all kinds of tools - impact gun, die grinder, nail gun, sander, pnuematic ratcht, blah blah blah. The only thing that was slightly annoying was that it would kick on often when using the grinder.

I went with an oil style compressor because of the noise, if you were closer you could have my old Craftsman until you had everything up and running.
CC, right here is your best advice. I did the exact same thing, ran the snot out of my old Craftsman 2hp. 110 unit until I got my garage exactly the way I wanted it then went to Menard's and got a Coleman 6 hp. 60 gal. upright. As stated, stay away from the oilless units.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:34 AM
kalister1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use an old (1983) Camble Hausfeld 2 HP 13 Gallon tank compressor for all my air needs. Unless you plan on doing bodywork, Air sanders, HVLP paint guns, that is all you will ever need. How long do you run an air wrench?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:17 AM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Eike
When I decided to by one I thought bigger is better ... I got an old Curtis off ebay and am very satisfied with it. Makes 230 psi, btw.

Now that is badass!!!!

CC... if you were closer to MI, I'd let you have the 5hp 32 gal. Husky oilless that I have...
Old 06-29-2007, 09:33 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
But I'd rather have a 110 compressor, since it will be more mobile, for doing work outside of the garage if needed. What am I giving up with a 110? Not much for a homeowners type compressor, which is what you want.

The dryer only goes downstream of the compressor right, to protect the tools and piping? Right.

Black iron is nasty sh*t with moisture in it. Maybe galvanized would be better, or is that too brittle for these pressures? Galvanized is only galvanized on the outside, so it won't make any difference. There is no more moisture in iron piping than there is in galvanized iron piping; after a little use any unwanted stuff in the pipe you decide to use is flushed out anyway.
My advice is to get the biggest tank and the most CFH you can afford. Compressed air is like horsepower; you can never have too much at your disposal. Most air tools require a LOT of air to run, and will drain a small unit in, virtually, seconds....

Look up some air (pneumatic) drills or die grinders, see what CFH they are rated at. That's the CFH...minimum...of the compressor you'll want to look at.

Couldn't find any air paint sprayers?? Don't look for house painting equipment, look for car painting equipment.

The main advantage of a vertical unit is the floor space they save when you are getting into truly industrial-strength compressors. By then, you are into the $500-class (for a quality unit, no Harbor Freight stuff), so this may be a moot point.

Larry
code5coupe

Old 06-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Wow, don't buy that Craftsman, at least if it's the kind that have the motor and compressor in one unit.
A friend of mine bought one ( one of the red, single stage units) for his shop. When it turned on, you couldn't talk, couldn't hear the radio, it sounded like you were running an air chisel continuously. And, it took forever to pump up the tank. He ended up putting it outside the shop and it was still noisy. This was probably like the $330, 33 gal crapsman that you are looking at.
Get something with a separate pump and motor ( belt drive ).
I'm not knocking all Craftsman, I had a smaller belt drive unit that ran for 20 years. Craftsman does have oil lubed, belt drive units in their Pro line.
If I had the money, I'd get the Ingersoll-Rand, the quality is excellent compaired to the other stuff.
Some Other Random Thoughts:
Campbell- Hausfeld air tools pretty much suck. I have a 1/2 impact that will barely pull a lug nut at 125 psi. The only tool of theirs that I've had any luck with is their air riveter.

Chicago Pnuematic and IR make some of the best air tools.I have a CP 3/8 impact that's 25 years old and still works great. However, I bought a die grinder from Harbor Freight thet works pretty good, go figure.

I agree with the other guys, don't get an oil free unit. The only time you have to worry about oil is if you'er shooting paint. I give my tools a shot of oil everyother time that I use them.

When you install your lines, make sure you put in drops to collect water on any vertical lines. I've done copper before and used radiator bleeders at the ends to drain out the water. Drain your lines and compressor once in a while and especially before you paint.

If you are going to get a HPLV, don't get one of the $50 ones, I already tossed one of these in the garbage. You can get a pretty good HPLV paint gun for $120. www.spraygundepot.com. Also, you can get small, throwaway dessicant dryers that screw into your into the air inlet of the paint gun. These work really well.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:15 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a home built unit... a friend made it while he was in the air force. It was made of surplus junk he found... it's one stout compressor, I will tell you that! It won't keep up with certian things, such as die grinding, but otherwise, it's fine.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:49 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

In my hangar I am limited to a marginal 15 amp circuit so I have an oil-less compressor that works for filling tires running intermittent air tools. For doing anything continuous, I have a 60 gallon tank that I fill as a reservoir. This is not a great setup, but with the available power I have, it does the trick. At home, my father has a 7.5hp 2 stage 80 gallon upright. That is a great compressor, goes to 175psi and will run a sandblaster all day and it is not as noisy as my little 110 volt oil-less.

One thing I have always thought about doing if I build a garage is to make a cement pad and put the compressor outside, build some walls around it and have an appropriate air intake, but as far as I am concerned, all compressors are noisy and if I could locate it outside, that would help.

As far as piping the air around, in my hangar, I just used inexpensive air hose. There are many options as have been mentioned, but whatever you do, do not use PVC pipe, it has the pressure rating, but if it is bumped or impacted while under pressure, it can explode spreading shards of pvc.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A drawback to investing in a powerful compressor with lots of CFM delivery
and a large tank is that everytime air is required, the beast has to spool
up.

Air is expensive.

A system that combines a smaller compressor with a medium capacity compressor
can offer a total CFM capacity equivalent to a big compressor, but it lets
you choose the amount of CFM to bring on line to match the job at hand.

Incidently, I find that a large quality foot-stand bike pump rounds out the
package. Good for adjusting pressures for the garden tractor, utility trailer
and race tires. Faster and quieter than the portable cigarette-light powered
pump.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:38 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is the same as I installed at work. Makes great air
http://cgi.ebay.ca/25-HP-INGERSOLL-R...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-30-2007, 08:22 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
A drawback to investing in a powerful compressor with lots of CFM delivery
and a large tank is that everytime air is required, the beast has to spool
up.

Air is expensive.

A system that combines a smaller compressor with a medium capacity compressor
can offer a total CFM capacity equivalent to a big compressor, but it lets
you choose the amount of CFM to bring on line to match the job at hand.

Incidently, I find that a large quality foot-stand bike pump rounds out the
package. Good for adjusting pressures for the garden tractor, utility trailer
and race tires. Faster and quieter than the portable cigarette-light powered
pump.

I have one of those cigarette lighter powered pumps. It's a Campbell Hausfeld... got it at Wally-World a few years back. For $20.00, it does a kick-*** job, really. I have pumped up many a flat with it. Most satisfied. I keep it in my emergency bag. It's smaller and lighter than a spare! Besides, we have AAA.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:55 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coaster, I have a Craftsman 5 hp upright think its a 26 gallon, got it for Fathers day last year, came with some tools fittings etc. it's oil less and 110v.

It has done all that I have asked of it, except break loose the c-beam bolts on the rear that were seized from electrolysis.

When I didn't have enough hose to fill a flat for a visitor I wheeled it out to the car.

Yeah its noisy, it does what I need it to, and I don't make my living off of it - so it is sufficient in my needs.

You can always beat the p!ss out of it and sell it @ 50% of the cost when your ready to upgrade!
Old 06-30-2007, 09:10 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Now I'm torn between getting a little pancake pump for portability / house work, then getting a big one for the garage later.

Or compromise and get an in-between one that will do both tasks, but neither as well.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:23 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Coaster do you have a Harbor Freight near you?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:24 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, but what does that have to do with buying quality tools?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:27 PM
_twisted_
Safety Car

Yeah, but what does that have to do with buying quality tools?
hose - they have goodyear hose in 25 and 50 ft lengths
Old 06-30-2007, 09:31 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by _twisted_
hose - they have goodyear hose in 25 and 50 ft lengths
Oh.. I can vouch for this. The Goodyear hose that HF has is good made in the USA stuff. I have 2 50' lengths and am tempted to buy another every time they go on sale.

Get notified of new replies

To Recommend me an air compressor for air tools...

Old 07-01-2007, 03:27 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I'm torn between getting a little pancake pump for portability / house work, then getting a big one for the garage later.

Or compromise and get an in-between one that will do both tasks, but neither as well.
Don't compromise on this! A good, high quality air compressor is not something you replace every couple of years. You'll have it for a LONG time, so get something that WILL do what you want - no compromises. Routing in a 220V power feed is nothing in comparison to the frustration you'll feel every time you go to use your air powered tools and find that you don't have the necessary amount/pressure of air to do the job.

An inexpensive "home owner" compressor (like what you'd get at Lowes or Home Depot) is fine for just that - a DIYer looking to do some work around the house. Depending on tank size, most are OK for running SOME air tools in your garage, but they quickly fall short when you start looking at the heavy-duty jobs that require running a lot of air for long periods of time (like running a die grinder or any other tool that needs a lot of CFM).

My advice: get the inexpensive home owner "pancake" style compressor for now, and start making plans to run a 220V line into the garage for your future heavy-duty compressor. If you're running one in for a welder, running a second one in for a compressor shouldn't be a big problem. Use the pancake compressor for around the house jobs, taking advantage of it's mobility and 110V power requirement. You may also want to give some consideration to the future location of your new 'big' comporessor too. Compressors - big or small - aren't quiet, so if you have the opportunity to mount it outside on a concrete pad (building walls and a roof around to protect it from the elements) is a GREAT idea, especially if you have the room to do it. Then, when you're ready for the big compressor for your garage, that's when you start shopping around for a product that will fit your requirements, keeping in mind any future work you may want to do and what amount of CFM/pressure you may need.

This isn't an inexpensive option, but it's the only way to do it right.

Last edited by TheCorvetteKid; 07-01-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:02 PM
pr0zac
Melting Slicks

we use this and its sweet!!!
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp...roductID=28828
Old 07-02-2007, 12:17 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I stand behind my original suggestion...a decent $300 Craftsman or equivilant is perfect. It will do everything you need for now, and if you don't want to spend the money right away on the nice system you can wait as long as you want.

The only drawback is that they're loud.

My CM with an impact at 150 psi broke free the 36mm rusted hub bolt that had previously claimed my Snap-on 1/2" drive breaker bar (with a four foot pipe on it).

Quick Reply: Recommend me an air compressor for air tools...