C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT4 hotcam with stock tq converter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Soon2Bcammed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT4 hotcam with stock tq converter?

Hey guys, been trying to decide what i wanna do next.

I have an assembled 0 mile 355ci LT1 in my garage with a LT4 hotcam, and slightly touched up heads.

the motor thats in there now runs fine but I wouldnt mind throwing in a brand new motor, but anyways has anyone used this cam with a stock torque converter?

Also i would be running stock manifolds & cats for awhile with the X pipe and Borla mufflers i have already, i know it will be a big limitation but it will have to do for now.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

I used the Hotcam with a stock converter for quite awhile. It was really no problem. My car has 3.07 gears. But if you're interested, I'll have a 2200 stall converter available for sale very shortly.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:23 PM
Soon2Bcammed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid
I used the Hotcam with a stock converter for quite awhile. It was really no problem. My car has 3.07 gears. But if you're interested, I'll have a 2200 stall converter available for sale very shortly.
Cool this is the response I was looking for, i forgot to mention my car also has the 3.07 gears as well.

anyone else have any input?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:26 PM
VenkmanP
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Soon2Bcammed
Hey guys, been trying to decide what i wanna do next.

I have an assembled 0 mile 355ci LT1 in my garage with a LT4 hotcam, and slightly touched up heads.

the motor thats in there now runs fine but I wouldnt mind throwing in a brand new motor, but anyways has anyone used this cam with a stock torque converter?

Also i would be running stock manifolds & cats for awhile with the X pipe and Borla mufflers i have already, i know it will be a big limitation but it will have to do for now.
The vast majority of people who have used the hotcam have used it with the stock converter.

The manifolds/cats are not remotely a "big limitation" at that HP level.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:40 PM
torchred96
Pro

I am using the stock converter/everything with the hotcam in my 96. My motor is an lt4 and I put the hot cam in before installing it in my car.
I had my pcm reprogrammed for a little higher idle, shift points etc...also have the factory 3.07 gears.

I wanted to try the stock converter because I liked the stock feel how it took off (tight)....just wanted more top end power. I am glad I kept it the way it was however since the idle is up a few hundred rpms (because of the tune to the lt1 auto stock pcm), I do have to hold the brake, which pulls the rpms of the motor down because the converter wants to turn the transmission at that rpm (i'm assuming that's why anyway). This in turn keeps my motor a little shakey at the lower idle unless I throw it in neutral at the lights...and that's exactly what I do. And even if I do not put it in neutral it will not stall out even with the a/c running.....it's just shakey.

If someone could tell me what converter would loosen it up allowing it to run at the 800-850 idle that i believe it is programmed for, I will swap it whenever this tranny goes out. But I would still like the stock feel of everthing else if that makes sense. Until then tho, this converter is staying as is.

Btw I am running thru the cats and stock exhaust with no egr (lt4 engine didn't have one) or airpump with the appropriate tune to keep those codes from popping up...also had the rear o2 sensors disabled so they don't keep throwing codes. Blocked off the AIR holes in the manifolds. Florida no emission

I had originally thought about running headers but I like the reliability of the stock iron manifolds...

I think you will love the new rpm band with the hot cam. If I shift manually and am not looking at the tach, most times I hit the rev limiter at 6800 because going by feel, it's still pulling at that rpm. I'm sure that that rev limiter has saved my motor time and time again.

Hope this helps.. You'll love the cam even with the stock configuration. Get a tune tho. Even my mail order tune was much better than the stock lt1 pcm was with this motor.

I meant to say also that as usual, the hardest part is launching the car without too much spin. I was worried that the hotcam would cause it not to be able to spin enough to get into the rpm band quickly..I worried for nothing. I don't feel the cam looses very much at the bottom end..at least not noticeably.

sam

Last edited by torchred96; 11-11-2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:01 PM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the dark side Chris. When did you buy a Vette? I sure hope you kept that sweet Camaro!

As the others have said, the hotcam with the stock converter works just fine. I did heads and the hotcam kit with the stock converter and 2.59's, and was just fine. The car ran a best of 12.79 at around 110.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Soon2Bcammed
Instructor

thanks for the excellent advice guys!

The motor will be going in early next week. Anybody have any experience with the stock tune? Is it gonna run OK until i get a dyno tune? I can deal with a shaky idle, just wondering about stalling or surging.

BlackRose - the vette was my fathers, he passed away in June and i have been picking away at it slowly. Do i know you from Thirdgen?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

The stock idle is lower on the auto compared to the manual cars. You'll probably have a hard time keeping it idling in gear with the stock tune. But, WOT will be a blast!!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Qiken
Racer

Old 11-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Soon2Bcammed
Instructor

I figured thats what would happen, I went ahead and ordered up a PCMforless tune for now at least
Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 PM
BlackC6LS3
Melting Slicks

Chris, yes we swapped some PM's on Thirdgen about your car and the 335. Sorry to hear about your dad Not on that board much these days and so I missed how it happened.

I believe PCMFORLESS = God when it comes to tuning these cars so you will be fine with their tune. Goodluck with the swap and if you need any info on pulling the motor, search under my name and you will come up with a few posts with pictures and information.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Soon2Bcammed
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlackRoseLT1
Chris, yes we swapped some PM's on Thirdgen about your car and the 335. Sorry to hear about your dad Not on that board much these days and so I missed how it happened.

I believe PCMFORLESS = God when it comes to tuning these cars so you will be fine with their tune. Goodluck with the swap and if you need any info on pulling the motor, search under my name and you will come up with a few posts with pictures and information.
Awesome!

I will be keeping the Camaro, however it will be taking a break from the road next year as i will be doing a few things to it... just making it a little more enjoyable before I register it again.

Get notified of new replies

To LT4 hotcam with stock tq converter?

Quick Reply: LT4 hotcam with stock tq converter?