C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bit of a problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Shawn_65
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit of a problem

When I start my L98 up in the morning cold I get this sputtering sound that sounds like its comming from a cylinder or somewhere close. It eventually dies down after I warm the car up a little. but this just became a problem.

I just had my alternator replaced and I think it has a bad regulator so I'll have to take it back, if the gauge is correct it's constantly at 16-17 volts, which isn't good. should be like 14.5 right?

I also had the water pump replaced. However my coolant still seems to be leaking from somewhere. Maybe the coolant is leaking into a cylinder head or something I dont know, not that much of a mechanic.

but any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advanced guys! the last thing I need is another problem
Old 10-26-2007, 06:51 AM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"sputtering" sound? AIR pump? Unplug the two control solenoids and see if it still does it..
Old 11-29-2007, 11:10 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default sputtering

look down at your harmonic balancer with a flash light. if you see any rust in front of the ring, your balance weight is rubbing the timing cover.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:40 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I would be looking at the high alt voltage first. Do you have a multi meter so you can take a measurement at the battery, when the motor is running ??
Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 AM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn_65
I just had my alternator replaced and I think it has a bad regulator so I'll have to take it back, if the gauger is correct it's constantly at 16-17 volts, which isn't good. should be like 14.5 right?
I also had the water pump replaced. However my coolant still seems to be leaking from somewhere. Maybe the coolant is leaking into a cylinder head or something I don't know, not that much of a mechanic.
at OT I usually see the volts at around 13.8-14.0. Having a higher alt. output can have an effect on the fueling on your 90 (in tables inj. offset vs. battery, higher voltage=less PW), which could then have an effect on the parameters of the tune.
As 86 stated getting that in order is a good first step, however sputtering could be many things, check AIR sys. all vac. etc.
Is coolant physically leaking on the ground/motor, or just "disappearing"?

Get notified of new replies

To Bit of a problem

Quick Reply: Bit of a problem