C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 Windshield Wiper working sporadically

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:33 PM
ShadowLP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1986 Windshield Wiper working sporadically

The windshield wipers on my 1986 coupe work only on high speed and do not automatically shut off. I replaced the switch in the door panel thinking that it was logical fault. It did not resolve the problem. Low speed does not work, intermittent does not work and only when I place them in High speed mode do they work and then they do not automatically seat when I turn the switch off. Could it be the motor or something else in the wiper system? I would appreciate any suggestions on where to look next.

Last edited by ShadowLP; 03-09-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:44 PM
pappyfreebird
Advanced

arent wiper motors same as blower motors ?one speed (fast) n the switch is used to give the speeds...very possible the motor is weak n ony werks on full juice..(or high speed)
Old 03-09-2008, 07:02 PM
87 rag
Drifting

Originally Posted by ShadowLP
The windshield wipers on my 1986 coupe work only on high speed and do not automatically shut off. I replaced the switch in the door panel thinking that it was logical fault. It did not resolve the problem. Low speed does not work, intermittent does not work and only when I place them in High speed mode do they work and then they do not automatically seat when I turn the switch off. Could it be the motor or something else in the wiper system? I would appreciate any suggestions on where to look next.
I thought they were supposed to work like that.
Damn, I guess mines broke too.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:16 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Someone correct me if Im wrong but I believe there is a (wiper delay board) that may need to be replaced. Check ebay, they have them..WW
Old 03-10-2008, 09:13 AM
anchami79
Instructor

Yeah, I belive the "brains" of the wiper system controls the delay and park functions and probably speed too. Its the black plastic part on the front of the motor. It will separate from the rest of the motor by taking out 3 torx screws.

I haven't replaced it yet, but I'm hoping it will fix my problem too. Very similar to yours. I can only shut off my wipers if I shut off the car, or do a trick to the switch (which is really annoying!). I've already replaced the switch too. It's really the only thing left in the system.

I've been searching Ebay and they have whole motor assemblies for ~$40. I'm not sure if I want to trust a used one though... since it seems like a pretty common problem. I'm wondering if an 88 up motor would fix this. I'm not sure of the differences, but it seems that they make 84-87 and 88-96 motors. I heard the only difference is a jumper wire. I wonder if there would be any benefit to using a newer model. (besides more than likely having less miles on a newer used one)

If anyone else has some info, I'm interested too.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 03-10-2008, 09:33 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Wipers.pdf
Old 03-10-2008, 10:04 AM
87 rag
Drifting

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
That's awesome Dan.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Rick Williams
Burning Brakes

I had the exact same problem as you describe....replaced the switch, and the module with NO change...
My final test was to turn the wipers in the on position when they didn't work and then tap on the motor..they started working..I cleaned all the contacts /plugs to the motor and repeated the process a few times with out anymore problems..they have been working fine for the last three months now..
Good luck with yours
Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have section "8E"???
Old 03-10-2008, 08:14 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jhammons01
Do you have section "8E"???
I should have posted both

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Windshield%20Wipers.pdf
Old 03-10-2008, 08:50 PM
89onlyZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

From the symptoms you describe, it's most likely the "park switch", which is internal to the motor and not part of the pulse board/cover.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just checked back here, thanks AGENT 86 I appreciate you. Sorry for not thanking you sooner.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:11 PM
rons85
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the symptoms you describe, it's most likely the "park switch", which is internal to the motor and not part of the pulse board/cover.
Agreed.

The park switch will come with a new/rebuilt motor, although I've gotten a reman motor with a bad park switch in it before. The Park switch can also be purchased separately, by itself. Not all that expensive an item.. although you need to remove the wiper Motor from the car to replace it.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:28 PM
ShadowLP
Intermediate

Default 1986 Windshield Wiper working sporadically

I had not checked back recently and just saw all of the posts. Great information. I'm tapping on my wiper motor first and cleaning all of the contacts. (cheapest fix first), if that does not correct the problem, I will start down the various paths mentioned. Great info. Thanks to all of you.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please come back and update what solution you find!

It will help when people turn up this thread in a search and are curious of the solution.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:04 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default wipers

If you take the cover off, and look at the delay board, there should be 5 or 6 large solder joints (I forget how many) that the board connects to the motor and the connector leads inside the housing. get out your soldering ion, and resolder these large terminals. I had one that the solder cracked or were cold solder joints.
after soldering, no more problems.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 AM
ShadowLP
Intermediate

The tapping and cleaning of the electrical contacts did not fix the problem. The solder points look good. I contacted my local Chevrolet dealer and after reviewing what the service manual states in the symption chart, I have ordered a remanufactured motor with a 12 month warrenty for $79. The remanufactured motor is half the price and once I found out how easy it is to remove the motor I took a chance. We debated for a while between the motor or the cover but the shop manual diagnostic chart clearly states that if only high speed works then it is the motor. The symptions for the cover did not match my problem. I'll have more info in a 3-5 days or so after the motor arrives.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Windshield Wiper working sporadically

Old 03-20-2008, 08:37 AM
87 rag
Drifting

The tapping and cleaning of the electrical contacts did not fix the problem. The solder points look good. I contacted my local Chevrolet dealer and after reviewing what the service manual states in the symption chart, I have ordered a remanufactured motor with a 12 month warrenty for $79. The remanufactured motor is half the price and once I found out how easy it is to remove the motor I took a chance. We debated for a while between the motor or the cover but the shop manual diagnostic chart clearly states that if only high speed works then it is the motor. The symptions for the cover did not match my problem. I'll have more info in a 3-5 days or so after the motor arrives.
Keep us posted.
Whatever works for you will be the first thing I try.

Last edited by 87 rag; 03-20-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:01 AM
ShadowLP
Intermediate

Default 1986 Windshield Wiper Working Sporadically

The remanufactured motor arrived at my Chevy dealer but we found that the replacement motor had a three prong electrical adaptor where the 1986 originally had a two prong. There should have been an adaptor in the box. The dealer has had five other motors sent all missing the adaptor. Now I understand that GM is searching for an adaptor. I have the original motor back (and also the currently unusable new motor). The old motor will go back in the car short term. More to follow.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:32 PM
J H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine are behaving the very same way at times. I have traced the problem to the wiring connector just below the wiper motor. I tied the wires in some wierd way and they work most of the time as they are supposed to. When they do not work, I can wiggle the wiring connector and they work as they are supposed to. Also, when I hit a bump in the road they will either begin to work properly or stop momentarily if they are on at the time. I have just been too lazy to change out that connector. It will be a rather hard change since there is very little slack in the wires to work with.

Quick Reply: 1986 Windshield Wiper working sporadically