C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Excessive Leakage Current Through LCD Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:00 PM
CSM87
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Excessive Leakage Current Through LCD Circuit

Just happened out of the blue… Got in to start the car after driving the day before; dead battery... As I thought I left a light on inside the car, I charged the battery (battery is new this year; charging system is fine) and checked all of the interior lights, which were off. Drove the car for a short trip; everything operated as normal; and parked her for the evening. Dead battery, again the next morning… Charged the battery again, checked current draw and narrowed it down to the LCD circuit. The dash, associated lights, and photocell all work fine. With the 5 amp LCD fuse pulled, I read approximately 20 milliamps. When I insert the fuse, the current draw intermittently rises and settles at about 250 milliamps. Any ideas? Is there anything else on that circuit, other than the dash, that could cause this? My Haynes manual was of no help at all. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:06 AM
CSM87
Racer

Bump
Old 08-18-2008, 03:23 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There are a number of circuits in the cluster that have power on them all the time and are candidates for failing and drawing current. The cluster has several voltage regulator IC's that can cause leakage. Its time for the cluster to be serviced.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:31 AM
CSM87
Racer

JFB, Thank you for the info.

I realize that there are numerous circuits in the dash that draw current continuously; just thought that there might be something else I was missing (a faulty relay maybe??).

It is just so odd that this just happened so unexpectedly, with no prior symptoms (dash, lights, photocell, all work fine).

Oh well, time to start troubleshooting…
Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

This might help if your not using the FSM to diagnose.

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Instr...%20Cluster.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Excessive Leakage Current Through LCD Circuit

Quick Reply: Excessive Leakage Current Through LCD Circuit