C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

W T F is wrong with these roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:28 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default W T F is wrong with these roller rockers

I'm frustrated with the adjustment of these roller rockers. I have followed all info, advice, videos and instructions pertaining the adjustment and the "clacking" continues.

I did the zero lash and 1/8 turn...clack
I did the zero lash and 1/2 turn, quieter but some clacking.

Are these things mean to make noise or are they supposed to be "quiet"

The engine, LT4 starts, no engine light but the clacking bothers me. Am I wrong?

I already have enough noise with the roller chain...that's another topic
Old 03-22-2009, 02:35 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Roller rockers trunnions (the part that slides down over the stud) have to different sides. One's rounded and one's flat. The flat side must go UP.

Also, in order to find TRUE zero lash, the lifter has to be on the base circle of the camshaft lobe. If the lifter is on the cam lobe's ramp, the preload setting will be wrong.

I always recommend setting lifter preload by using the EO/IC method. The procedure should be posted in the Tech Tips section on this Forum.

If you need me to, I can post it again here.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 03-22-2009, 02:38 PM
bigwave71
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
I'm frustrated with the adjustment of these roller rockers. I have followed all info, advice, videos and instructions pertaining the adjustment and the "clacking" continues.

I did the zero lash and 1/8 turn...clack
I did the zero lash and 1/2 turn, quieter but some clacking.

Are these things mean to make noise or are they supposed to be "quiet"

The engine, LT4 starts, no engine light but the clacking bothers me. Am I wrong?

I already have enough noise with the roller chain...that's another topic
try it this way http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...=Custom&ID=637
Old 03-22-2009, 02:51 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bigwave71
Yep, that's how to do it. Just be sure you correctly identify the intake and the exhaust. Remember, front to back, EIIEEIIE:

E=EXHAUST
I=Intake

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 03-22-2009, 03:00 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist

Got it, I'll try these again. This are the same instructions from Crane Cams at You Tube.

Once this is finished, are the rocker supposed to be tight or slightly loose?

Valve Adjustment Procedure
1. Valves can be set on a hot or cold engine. A cold engine is a lot more comfortable to work on. Major camshaft manufacturers recommend setting valves cold, to avoid erroneous adjustments on lifters that may be "pumped up" If you are setting valves on a fresh engine that has not been run, everything should be well lubricated before you begin.

2. Remove both valve covers and remove the spark plugs to make the engine easier to turn over. Also, If you are setting valves on all cylinders, it is generally easier and less confusing to just loosen all of the rocker arm adjustment nuts before you begin. This also allows for all of the internal lifter plungers to return to their "home" position.

3. Using a long handled ratchet or breaker bar attached to the crank bolt, turn the engine over in the clockwise direction.

A. Starting with #1 cylinder, turn the engine over until the exhaust pushrod just begins to move up.

B. At this point, stop and adjust the intake valve on the same cylinder.

1) Tighten the rocker until you can roll the pushrod between your thumb and forefinger with the slightest bit of resistance.

2) At this point tighten between an additional quarter to half of a turn.

C. You have now adjusted the #1 intake valve. You will now want to turn the engine over while watching the same intake pushrod that you just set, it will go full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. By following this procedure, you are assured that both of the lifters are at the base circle of the cam and that there is no additional pre-load applied to them from cam lift at this point.

D. You are now able to repeat this procedure on the remaining cylinders.

4.Re-install your valve covers and your valve adjustment procedure is finished
Old 03-22-2009, 03:21 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

When the preload is correctly set AND with the lifter on the base circle of the cam's lobe, you can still wiggle the rocker arm.

However, if the valve has started to open or is already open, you shouldn't be able to, not without using significant force.

Be sure the underside of the rocker arm isn't touching the valve spring retainer. This clearance issue is sometimes the source of noise.

If yours are touching, the underside of the rocker arm should show witness marks. Or, you can get down really close, with a flashlight, and see if you have about .060" clearance between the underside of the rocker and the valve spring retainer.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:10 PM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you have the factory roller rockers or aftermarket? The LT4 factory rollers are set to a torque spec, not adjusted like aftermarket types.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Firevette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by bigwave71
Thats how I have always done it.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:10 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I am using the Crane Cam gold rockers on my L98. They require 1 1/2 turns after zero lash compared to the stock 1/2 lash. Make sure your instructions specify what amout to adjust the rockers and follow suit.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:41 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by toptechx6
Do you have the factory roller rockers or aftermarket? The LT4 factory rollers are set to a torque spec, not adjusted like aftermarket types.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:14 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I've got the same problem with mine. I have the Crane Energizers and I do the lash procedure just as stated here except I set the ex. just as the int. starts to close, not when it's almost totally closed. This might be my problem so I will give this way a try. I have never heard of more than 1/4 to 1/2 turn after zero lash but I am going to check with Crane just to be sure.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Remember, what you're setting is lifter preload. You only adjust the rocker arm nut in order to set the lifter preload. The nut's used to establish the preload you want.

Ideally you want the lifter plunger to depress .030" (+/- .010").

However, there are certain types of lifters, like CompCams Pro Magnums, "R"s which only call for a preload of .002" which translates into a turn of ONLY ONE FLAT of the rocker nut, but I was assuming you were running lifters OTHER than those.

So with the exception of those "special lifters" in order to establish the .030" of preload, turning the rocker arm adjusting nut 1/2 turn from ZERO lash puts it at .030", give or take a tad.

Remember, too, that the lifter HAS to be on the base circle of the camshaft lobe when setting the preload.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Normally, running, you turn the rocker adjusting nut 1/4 turn after it stops clacking, then turn it another 1/4 turn to get 1/2 to 3/4 turn to set the lifter plunger right in the middle of the lifter bore. I do not recomment turning it more than 1/4 turn at a time, since you are letting the valve hang open whe you are turning the nut with the engine running.

One turn is enough from the factory. Been that way forever since 1955.
Although, if you are working with aluminum heads, they "grow" with heat. I would recommend that you adjust them hot, and clean up the mess later.
Be sure to keep a fire extinguisher handy in case. Oil does burn.
Anyway, if you have adjusted them, and they still clack, remove a couple of them, and make sure that they aren't hitting the springs when they move. If they need to be clearanced, get another type of springs or rockers
Old 03-23-2009, 01:11 AM
ArmyBoyATC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my expierince roller rockers make more noise than regular ones but it isnt a loud clack noise jus a small tick.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The LT4 factory roller rockers are different from aftermarket types. From the 96 FSM, please note the difference between LT4 and LT1.
Once zero lash is found tighten LT4 adjustment nut to 18 ft. lbs.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 AM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
Normally, running, you turn the rocker adjusting nut 1/4 turn after it stops clacking, then turn it another 1/4 turn to get 1/2 to 3/4 turn to set the lifter plunger right in the middle of the lifter bore. I do not recomment turning it more than 1/4 turn at a time, since you are letting the valve hang open whe you are turning the nut with the engine running.

One turn is enough from the factory. Been that way forever since 1955.
Although, if you are working with aluminum heads, they "grow" with heat. I would recommend that you adjust them hot, and clean up the mess later.
Be sure to keep a fire extinguisher handy in case. Oil does burn.
Anyway, if you have adjusted them, and they still clack, remove a couple of them, and make sure that they aren't hitting the springs when they move. If they need to be clearanced, get another type of springs or rockers
I adjust mine while running as well. Though I had warnings of oil going everywhere, don't think I got a drop outside of the heads.

Just go real slow, make sure not to drop anything!

I figure doing it while running is the only way to truly get it dead nuts since you are adjusting for a running, hot, condition. I'm not a motor guy by any stretch, but it worked great for me.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:22 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RUKWKR
I adjust mine while running as well. Though I had warnings of oil going everywhere, don't think I got a drop outside of the heads.

Just go real slow, make sure not to drop anything!

I figure doing it while running is the only way to truly get it dead nuts since you are adjusting for a running, hot, condition. I'm not a motor guy by any stretch, but it worked great for me.
RU, how many turns, 1/4 etc when adjusting them hot?

Get notified of new replies

To W T F is wrong with these roller rockers

Old 03-23-2009, 11:05 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're sure you got them all set the correctly the first time (between 1/8 to 1/2 turns of preload) just pull the valve covers and tighten or loosen them all in 1/4 turn increments and see if the noise goes away with different levels of preload. If not....return them to where they were set before.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

The LT4's had a recall on the rockers

http://www.hashmarks.com/techtips/rockerarmrecall.htm

The early LT-4 engines had 2 roller rocker arm recalls. They were due to "improper loading" on a pin that retains the roller section and it could back out under high RPM. In the second recall the first replacement rockers part #12551311 were also recalled. The second and final rockers part #12557779 were used check with your dealer if your car falls within these numbers. The 1.6 aluminum roller rockers were manufactured by Crane for GM. For the aftermarket these rockers are advertised as the Crane Gold units.

The first recall (recall number 96-C-07) involved these VINs:

Regular production From: 5100052 through 5102717
Grand Sports From: 5600013 through 5600055

The second recall (recall number 96-C-07A) was extended through these VINs:

Regular production From: 5100052 thru 5111116
Grand Sports From: 5600012 thru 5600363

So if your Corvette's VIN does not fall within these ranges, you shouldn't worry about the rocker arm recall action.

Just to be sure, however, any GM dealer should be able to give you a warranty repair history of your Corvette if you supply them the VIN. Some dealers charge for this service, however.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist

Default Collector Edition

I've never tried to tighten them to 18 lb torque.
I was told not to follow this procedure because I had the heads worked, different cam, springs and valves. Would that work?

Next weekend, I'll be doing it, I think the best method in here is by coupeguy and to adjust them while the en gine is running. I'll get lots of rags, the extinguiser to get it done.

This is the only thing holding me back to get this baby on the ground.

Originally Posted by toptechx6
The LT4 factory roller rockers are different from aftermarket types. From the 96 FSM, please note the difference between LT4 and LT1.
Once zero lash is found tighten LT4 adjustment nut to 18 ft. lbs.

Quick Reply: W T F is wrong with these roller rockers