C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

SYS light

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 04:42 PM
kingvet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SYS light

I have a SYS light on on my 1996 vette hwat causes this.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:14 PM
JazyJeff13
Burning Brakes

Default Re: SYS light (kingvet)

If this is where the odometer is and it blinks it's your battery. Need a new one. Fill us in a little more and we can help.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:22 AM
behnevette
Pro

Default Re: SYS light (JazyJeff13)

If this is where the odometer is and it blinks it's your battery. Need a new one. Fill us in a little more and we can help.
The SYS blinking could mean more than just your battery. Your CCM(Central Control Module) is alerting you to a fault code. From the GM Service Manual, it says, "The "SYS" indicator will flash 3 times every 15 seconds while a current-code fault is present." You can check out what fault code you have by shorting across pins A and G on the ALDL connector under the dash. In my case, there was a problem with my LCD Dimming Output Circuit (Fault Code 72). I had taken out my Bose system to be repaired, and when I reinstalled it, I got the SYS flashing. I took the Bose back out and plugged it back in with the key off, and the problem went away.

[Modified by behnevette, 3:23 AM 1/31/2002]

[Modified by behnevette, 3:24 AM 1/31/2002]
Old 01-31-2002, 04:49 AM
Dualnic
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: SYS light (behnevette)

You can check out what fault code you have by shorting across pins A and G on the ALDL connector under the dash.
Most SYS "not all" relate to a low/bad battery or charging sys......some times if a resistor is not placed when a aftermarket radio is installed the SYS will pop up....due to the dimming circuit....like in the above post which was most likely tripped when the radio was pulled out and not seated correctly since it was a factory radio, but pulling codes directed him away from the common problem.

He has a 96 that would mean a OBDII computter with the 16 pin connector since the cross over started in the mid 94 yr models.........and the only way to pull codes is via a scanner.

My 94 has the 16 pin OBDII connector but the OBDI computter, so i am still able to pull codes,by shorting pins 4 and 12.

[Modified by Dualnic, 3:11 AM 1/31/2002]
Old 01-31-2002, 05:40 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: SYS light (kingvet)

Yes, most likely your battery if it is an intermittent SYS light. If it goes every 5 seconds or so, blinking twice or so, then it could be something else.

Get notified of new replies

To SYS light

Quick Reply: SYS light