C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starter heat soak with headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 AM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Starter heat soak with headers

My Hookers are close enough that I have always been concerned about Starter heat soak with my headers.

I have used a DEI starter blanket so far and it has done OK,

My question is,,,, has anyone used one of the sheet metal shields that fit on their starter? I see them in Jeg's etc, and it looks like the air flow would be better using the sheet metal than the blanket. I might just try to make a spacer to go between the blanket and the starter to have better air flow.

TIA

Oh yeah, i used the Search function and got some info but I wonder which heat sheet metal shield fits the mini starter

Last edited by LD85; 05-05-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Search
Old 05-05-2009, 11:55 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Larry,

I use a blanket type of heat shield without any spacer for air. It's been fine for almost 3 years.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Nah, I just went with the smaller L98 starter. Its been fine for 3-4 years.

The OE 84-87 one wouldnt have lasted so long though.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86

vader has the answer.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:22 PM
dave_85
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vader86

Me too. The only thing is it kind of sounds like a Honda when it's cranking.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 PM
LD85
Race Director

Thanks !

Bought another Heat Reflective blanket today because my old one was shot. I will see if I can fab a sheet metal piece and then put the reflective wrap around it.

I see the sheet metal shields in Jeg's but I don't know if they will fit or not.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:46 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LD85
I see the sheet metal shields in Jeg's but I don't know if they will fit or not.
You can probably make anything "fit" but they don't fit well without work, and there is not a ton of room there. We were using some of the DEI heat shields which worked pretty well, but eventually they seem to separate and some of those shields conduct electricity which caused some interesting arcing issues. We went (using the GMPP high torque mini starter) and covered the wiring with slip on fibreglass spark plug boots and then used the DEI stuff around the rest. Crossing my fingers for a more long term solution this time around.

Ron
Old 05-05-2009, 03:59 PM
LD85
Race Director

Originally Posted by RonRed89
You can probably make anything "fit" but they don't fit well without work, and there is not a ton of room there. We were using some of the DEI heat shields which worked pretty well, but eventually they seem to separate and some of those shields conduct electricity which caused some interesting arcing issues. We went (using the GMPP high torque mini starter) and covered the wiring with slip on fibreglass spark plug boots and then used the DEI stuff around the rest. Crossing my fingers for a more long term solution this time around.

Ron
Hey ron, I have been using the spark plug boots over my starter lines for several years, a great "trick" in terms of protecting the battery cables etc from the heat.

I have not had any issues with heat soak yet, but i plan on some long summer drives and don't want any surprises.

Another option is that I have seen clamp on shileds that would clamp onto the header pipe by the starter

Old 05-05-2009, 04:09 PM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LD85
I have not had any issues with heat soak yet, but i plan on some long summer drives and don't want any surprises.

Another option is that I have seen clamp on shileds that would clamp onto the header pipe by the starter

I haven't seen that particular style of shield. The one that I found at Summit was more of a sheet metal style and just not enough room with the TPIS headers. This one looks interesting and seems as if it has a better chance of working. My concern with something like this (and it could be unfounded) is that it seems that most people with coated headers don't recommend any sort of wrap. This shield still looks loose enough to let air escape from the exterior header surface which would appear to be good from the coating perspective, but the question is whether or not it just moves the hot spot further up or down the header to the end of the shield.

If it makes you feel better, using those items that I mentioned in my previous note, I did a 500 mile trip in a day with my car and had no starter issues related to heat at all.

My issues were different from the starter perspective where my aluminum starter nose plate lost its shape and caused intermittent binding of the starter gear and the flexplate sometimes. We replaced the starter this year and added a modified brace on the back of the starter, so hopefully we'll be good this time. :-)

Ron

Last edited by RonRed89; 05-05-2009 at 04:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Starter heat soak with headers

Quick Reply: Starter heat soak with headers