C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Venting!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Marty Bee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venting!!!

Hello Folks!

I'm certain I should have probably posted this in the general discussion section but I am going to be venting about technical aspects of my car. I just thought it would be nice to know that I'm not alone out there feeling frustrations towards the car I love so much and that blue skys are on the horizons.

A couple months ago I started the regular work I need to do to my 1984 Crossfire Corvette. Every year I have some project to take on that is fairly major requiring me take apart half the car. This year, not soo major.

I needed to change all for hubs, some sway bar links, u-joints and I was doing a brake job as well as painting the calipers red. Black car, nice chrome rims, I needed the red brakes behind them.

Normally, this would be a 3 day job. Take everything apart day one and clean the calipers. Paint them the next day, put everything back together and on the last day mount the brakes and bleed them.

Its been 2 months.

Ordering parts takes me up to 3 weeks. That's probably due to the fact that there are no Canadian Part Dealers, not any that have the parts I need anyways. On top of that, seems like all I keep doing is running into problems.

One of my caliper's bleeder valves was completly stuck and fuzed. After attempts at getting it out, I ended up needing a new caliper.

I've yet to even move forward to my steering column issue.

All I want to do is drive my car.

Anybody else feeling the broken car blues?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:52 PM
F18tinman
Intermediate

Marty,

This should probably be in the general section but I agree with you. I motivated myself to do the suspension in my 87. After removing the rear exhaust, I noticed that the exhaust system needed work. After breaking off a few studs (and I will address that at a later time), I moved on to the rear. Not only am I replacing the bushings but I had a spindle fuzed to the hub. The ujoints needed replacing also. I could go on. I am just glad that this is a long term project and not a daily driver. The batwing comes off tomorrow and I will bet you that it will need work also. I have been lucky that parts support here and on this website has been decent. Good luck on your suspension.

John
Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 AM
tdf
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

Default I Can Relate

Marty,

I can certainly relate to your project. I have about 3 cars that I consider projects and one of them is an 86 C4 4+3. Seems like everytime I go to fix one thing I find several others that need attention. I guess those of us that choose to keep or purchase older units are going to go through this!

Keep you chin up. I think lots of maintenance goes with the fact that these cars are getting old. Hard on the nerves and the pocket book at times.

Tom
Old 05-13-2009, 10:00 AM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,023 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Marty

Your car is 25 years old. You should expect these things. How many 25 year old cars do you see on the road nowdays. If your like me, corvettes are our passion. We are a lucky select group here. We all drive vettes. The majority of people never get the oppertunity to own one, or even ride in one. Hang in there Marty, we all have our issues with our old vettes. You are not alone

Corvette Mike
Old 05-13-2009, 11:07 AM
flynn508
Pro

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004
Your car is 25 years old. You should expect these things. How many 25 year old cars do you see on the road nowdays. If your like me, corvettes are our passion. We are a lucky select group here. We all drive vettes. The majority of people never get the oppertunity to own one, or even ride in one. Hang in there Marty, we all have our issues with our old vettes. You are not alone

Corvette Mike

Dittos on all that Mike Marty, if your parts suppliers in CN are not as available then you are a little behing the 8ball and just have to prepare a little more, but as has been said, it is a love hate relationship with our older cars. How many 25 year old cars on the road in Canada anyway, let alone Corvettes. Get out the frustration, scream, yell, throw something heavy around; and then go love your car!!
Old 05-13-2009, 11:15 AM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by flynn508
Dittos on all that Mike Marty, if your parts suppliers in CN are not as available then you are a little behing the 8ball and just have to prepare a little more, but as has been said, it is a love hate relationship with our older cars. How many 25 year old cars on the road in Canada anyway, let alone Corvettes. Get out the frustration, scream, yell, throw something heavy around; and then go love your car!!

Last year I decided the shabby insulation on the EGR heat riser needed replacing.

Consequence? New Intake, injectors, headers, and cat back.

Now I think in need a new chip??????

TJM
Old 05-13-2009, 11:54 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

If it makes you feel better gathering all the parts for my new engine has taken two years so far
Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 PM
PGLT1
Advanced

I've found that any job on a Vette, no matter how small, turns into a $1,000 job. You always find something else you want to fix.

I'm doing my brakes now. Rotors, Pads, painting ect. Now im polishing all the aluminum parts, new tie-rods, Oil change, coolant flush and sending my ecu out to get tuned. Once the car is up I say to myself,
"Self, it would be easier just to do it all now". Then my credit card takes the abuse...
Old 05-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
If it makes you feel better gathering all the parts for my new engine has taken two years so far
Right here is the key, get all your parts together BEFORE grabbing a wrench. A real good inspection will reveal most things that need work, then a wish list can be made and when the items needed are in your hands, open the tool box.

Get notified of new replies

To Venting!!!

Quick Reply: Venting!!!