C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lt1 not turning over

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:21 AM
92C41STONE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lt1 not turning over

Will the opti-spark cause a motor not to turn over on a '92? When I turn the key I hear a noise like the fuel pump kicking in & then try to start the car & it does not turn over. Any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 AM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That sounds like a typical VATS issue, definitely not the optispark.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:59 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Is it a crank, no-start condition? Check your coil and ignition control module (ICM). A crank, no-start condition can be caused by either or both of them. Your can have the ICM tested at most auto parts stores.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:00 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 92C41STONE
Will the opti-spark cause a motor not to turn over on a '92? When I turn the key I hear a noise like the fuel pump kicking in & then try to start the car & it does not turn over. Any suggestions?
Yes, of course. The Opti-spark is also responsible for global warming, the economic downturn and the war in the Middle East!
Old 08-05-2009, 08:09 AM
92C41STONE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aminnich
That sounds like a typical VATS issue, definitely not the optispark.
What do I need to do to find out if it is the VATS?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 AM
92C41STONE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toptechx6
Yes, of course. The Opti-spark is also responsible for global warming, the economic downturn and the war in the Middle East!
Thanks for the reponse
Old 08-05-2009, 08:11 AM
92C41STONE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by onedef92
Is it a crank, no-start condition? Check your coil and ignition control module (ICM). A crank, no-start condition can be caused by either or both of them. Your can have the ICM tested at most auto parts stores.

The problem is, if I can't get it started, I can't get it to the auto parts store. Is there any other way to find out?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:13 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

The problem is, if I can't get it started, I can't get it to the auto parts store. Is there any other way to find out?
You have to REMOVE the ICM to have it tested. Presumably you have another vehicle or means of getting there?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:24 AM
92C41STONE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by onedef92
You have to REMOVE the ICM to have it tested. Presumably you have another vehicle or means of getting there?
Yes I do, & will get it tested. Thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
onedef92
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Yes I do, & will get it tested. Thanks
So it IS a crank, no-start condition and not a VATS issue? if the VATs is enabled, it won't allow the starter to activate.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:03 AM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Yous said twice that it will NOT turn over. If it will not turn over then the starter is either junk or not activating. Of those two options VATS is the most likely, although there may be other causes. Clean the resistor pellet on the key (rubbing alcohol) and try it again. What is the battery voltage? Has this happened repeatedly or is this a first time problem?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:21 AM
92C41STONE
Intermediate

Yous said twice that it will NOT turn over. If it will not turn over then the starter is either junk or not activating. Of those two options VATS is the most likely, although there may be other causes. Clean the resistor pellet on the key (rubbing alcohol) and try it again. What is the battery voltage? Has this happened repeatedly or is this a first time problem?
1st time.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 AM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

1st time.
Is it turning over when you hit the key? Did you clean the key? What is the battery condition and voltage? Do the lights come on when you turn on the key? Do you hear any clicking? Anything else you can tell us?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:20 AM
92C41STONE
Intermediate

Is it turning over when you hit the key? Did you clean the key? What is the battery condition and voltage? Do the lights come on when you turn on the key? Do you hear any clicking? Anything else you can tell us?
No, nothing happens. I have to wait to I get home to get the keys & get you any other info needed. Yes, dash lights up when I turn the key. No clicking. Before I actually turn the key to try to start it there is a noise like the fuel pump kicking on. That is all the information I have. Thanks for all your input. I am going to clean the key when I get home & try the other set to see if that works. I will let you know. Thanks again.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:01 PM
TerryD
Intermediate

Default starter motor maybe??

Years ago, I(and a friend with a 93) experienced intermittant starter motor failure. We experienced the same initial probs you did(key on, whining sound, etc) but engine would not budge. I remember my friend getting up underneath the car and tapping the starter with a hammer and it fired up! I did the same thing and discovered the starter was going bad...sometimes starting/sometimes not. I'd check this out as a possible solution to your prob...good luck TD
Old 08-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Toy90
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "security" lamp will flash if it's a VATS issue. Otherwise it could be the starter solenoid contacts which are cheap to replace. Like the other posters said, check the voltage of the battery and go from there.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The fuel pump being activated will sound like a humming sound and will come from the back of the car where the gas tank is because the pump's inside the gas tank. The humming sound will only last for 3 or 4 seconds, then stop. Have someone stand at the back of the car and, perhaps put their hand on the gas tank to feel for any vibration as you turn the key to "ON". If vibration is felt,it's the fuel pump being energized.

If what you're hearing is a clicking sound it's the sio=ound of the solenoid. That generally means bad battery, but can mean a bad starter too.

If you hear either one of those, it CAN'T be VATS. When VATS enables, it shuts down the fuel pump and the starter so you couldn't hear anything.

There's a big difference between NO START and NO CRANK. We need to know EXACTLY what's going on; be detailed in your responses so we can better help you.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JAKE
The fuel pump being activated will sound like a humming sound and will come from the back of the car where the gas tank is because the pump's inside the gas tank. The humming sound will only last for 3 or 4 seconds, then stop. Have someone stand at the back of the car and, perhaps put their hand on the gas tank to feel for any vibration as you turn the key to "ON". If vibration is felt,it's the fuel pump being energized.

If what you're hearing is a clicking sound it's the sio=ound of the solenoid. That generally means bad battery, but can mean a bad starter too.

If you hear either one of those, it CAN'T be VATS. When VATS enables, it shuts down the fuel pump and the starter so you couldn't hear anything.

There's a big difference between NO START and NO CRANK. We need to know EXACTLY what's going on; be detailed in your responses so we can better help you.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Jake, VATS does NOT disable the fuel pump. It diasbles the injectors and he should hear the pump run for about 2 seconds when turning the key on. You are right about the starter.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

cash for optis

Get notified of new replies

To Lt1 not turning over