C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 Instrument Cluster issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 AM
SilvuR
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Instrument Cluster issues

Hello. I recently purchased a 1990 Coupe and am having some issues with the instrument cluster (among other things). The initial issue I was having was a random dimming and brightening of not only the LCD backlight, but also the RPM meter and oil/temp/etc gauge back lights. They tend to dim and brighten several minutes apart and are not synchronized in their little lightshow, typically dimming and brightening at different intervals and for different amounts of time.

The second issue I'm having, instrument wise, occured a few days ago. I started the vehicle and the LCD did its usual test, lighting up all segments of the display, however this time approximately half of the display did not go blank. The top half of the "888" on the speedometer and half of the fuel gauge is partially lit at all times making it extremely difficult to tell how fast I'm actually going and how much fuel is left. Everything else is simply much dimmer than it used to be. I had done no electrical work to the vehicle prior to this, it was as simple as turning the car off and everything was fine, and then turning it back on and my LCD was wacko.

I'm hoping this is going to be a simple fix as my Corvette is my daily driver and I cant very well drive if my instrument cluster is off getting rebuilt. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like internal connection problems for the back lighting (these 90- 96 clusters have a bunch of backlighting bulbs in them but only a few are used "all the time") and LCD connector. Looking at your LCD panel in the picture it appears the LCD panel also has UV burn damage (a result from too much sun exposure) which is why the panel is "light" colored/less sharp in the center section. UV damage starts in the middle of the panel and creaps outward toward the edges.

You'll have to pull the cluster to address the back lighting connection and LCD panel segment issues. I've got a link to a repair write up that might help with the LCD connection repair also....I'll see if I can post the link later tonight.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 AM
josephf31
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Well

Originally Posted by SilvuR
Hello. I recently purchased a 1990 Coupe and am having some issues with the instrument cluster (among other things). The initial issue I was having was a random dimming and brightening of not only the LCD backlight, but also the RPM meter and oil/temp/etc gauge back lights. They tend to dim and brighten several minutes apart and are not synchronized in their little lightshow, typically dimming and brightening at different intervals and for different amounts of time.

The second issue I'm having, instrument wise, occured a few days ago. I started the vehicle and the LCD did its usual test, lighting up all segments of the display, however this time approximately half of the display did not go blank. The top half of the "888" on the speedometer and half of the fuel gauge is partially lit at all times making it extremely difficult to tell how fast I'm actually going and how much fuel is left. Everything else is simply much dimmer than it used to be. I had done no electrical work to the vehicle prior to this, it was as simple as turning the car off and everything was fine, and then turning it back on and my LCD was wacko.

I'm hoping this is going to be a simple fix as my Corvette is my daily driver and I cant very well drive if my instrument cluster is off getting rebuilt. Any help would be much appreciated.
unfortunately I think your cluster is toast...
Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Anybody good that fixes them?

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Instrument Cluster issues

Quick Reply: 1990 Instrument Cluster issues