C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Comment on Royal Purple Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:15 PM
gmcs88vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comment on Royal Purple Oil

Have seen some footage on Muscle Car and Utube on Royal Purple oil. I bought some today and changed my oil. Most expensive oil change I ever had. I hope it was worth it. What do you think?
Old 10-11-2009, 12:21 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Royal Purple engine oil is high quality petoleum oil. The purple color comes from the base petroleum used to get the engine oil and in general, the purple color is an indicator of high quality. I have owned a 64, 69,74, and now an 87 Corvette and drove them each over 100,000 (74 had 214k and my 87 has 234k) miles using 10W30 oil changed at the recommended intervals and each had/has the original engine and none had any engine problems due to lubrication, just normal wear and tear. I always chuckle at the oil snobs that think you have to use expensive oil or expensive synthetic oil to pamper your engine or it will blow parts to the moon. I'll bet the oil company presidents chuckle also. In my experience, expensive oils aren't necessary.

Last edited by jfb; 10-11-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Eddie & the Cruisers
Burning Brakes

Here is a link for good reading on this forum. Read it all and possibly make up your own mind.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...onditions.html

I use RP in my modded vette and like it very much. Its in the pan, trans, rear end, and ps. You can more than double the length of time between lube changes and not bat an eye.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I hated how it lost it's nice purple color, after a few months.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

In my opinion, you wasted a whole bunch of money. My experience with synthetic in gearboxes (auto or stick, and diff's) is they cause more harm than good. My experience with synthetic oil in engines that are street driven, there is no difference when torn down after 100k miles or more.
In an extreme, ***** out race engine, who knows. Even the 2 engine builders I am tight with think synthetic is a gimick.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:58 AM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The greatest benefits to synthetics is the heat durability for instance if you have a hot running C4 with no oil cooler. It is required in these situations or you will have oil breaking down due to high heat. I am just going to keep using Mobil One in the LT4. Oil changes are cheap with these cars. You should change the oil in cars such as Porsches and Mercedes that use 10 quarts of oil and weird filters that cost a lot.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pappy.72
The greatest benefits to synthetics is the heat durability for instance if you have a hot running C4 with no oil cooler. It is required in these situations or you will have oil breaking down due to high heat. I am just going to keep using Mobil One in the LT4. Oil changes are cheap with these cars. You should change the oil in cars such as Porsches and Mercedes that use 10 quarts of oil and weird filters that cost a lot.

Or newer GM cars, yesterday I used 8.8 quarts of M1 in the wife's G8. I won't be using a shortened oil change interval on that sucker.

Mike
Old 10-11-2009, 11:02 AM
gmcs88vette
Heel & Toe

I also feel that regular interval oil changes and periodic maintenance are key to engine longivity however the increased fuel economy and greater hp and extended life of the oil intriqued me to try some of this oil. While at it I bought a K&N olil filter and spent three times the amount of a regular filter. Just thought I give them a try. Made me feel good but maybe a placibo. We will see.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Bondami
Race Director

Location: Southside of Western Norte Americano State of Confusion, ColoFornia
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude '13

Let me offer a different perspective on Oils Synthetic or otherwise. I have been a long haul Trucker for many years, These engines have an unbelievable duty cycle.. and the are expected to run 800,000 miles as a rule.

I used Delo and Shell Rotella (both standard petroleum oils) for years in my used trucks, and with 8 to 10,000 mile change intervals we saw the expected 800,000 miles life before an In-frame rebuild and re-sleeving.

When I bought my first new truck.. we started out using the Mobil synthetic blend and kept the change intervals at 12,000 miles (about one month under normal usage) and those two trucks are still running the 96 frieghtliner has 2.2 MILLION miles on the Series 60 Detroit diesel and is putting out 550 hp at 32 pounds of boost. my 1999 Peterbuilt with a Detroit set at 550 HP is still going at at 1.75 million miles. both these trucks have Dana axles and Dana transmissions running on full syntethetic oils. and we have had 0 failures in the engines.. I have replaced injectors and waterpumps the Turbos are still on the trucks..

I have not seen a performance improvement other than the longevity issue, but these engines are loaded hard for hours at a time at WOT climbing hills etc.. Just pulling the passes thru Idaho can take 6-to 8 hours of wide open full boost pulling at low vehicle speeds and 200 + degree temps.

So the synthetic blends and pure synthetics in the gearboxes have extended the life of these by double ... so far. And when you consider an Inframe rebuild on one of these averages $25,000 and can be higher..

But the real question is do I use them in my street rod or the vette.. yes I do.. (and i actually use the Mobil Delvac to break in engines and cams as they have Zinc in the additive package that has been removed from automotive oils.)

Just info from a different perspective, hope it helps
Old 10-11-2009, 01:24 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

As far as Royal Purple goes, my OWN opinion after reading hundreds, mabey (thousands?) of online & printed reviews is that it is no better/worse than other syns. You can read more than you ever wanted to know about motor oils, transmission fluids, coolants etc. at www.bobistheoilguy.com & you can make up your own mind. Just look on the different forums. These guys/gals actually send samples of their oil changes to a lab to see how their engine is doing
Old 10-12-2009, 02:43 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie & the Cruisers
I use RP in my modded vette and like it very much. Its in the pan, trans, rear end, and ps. You can more than double the length of time between lube changes and not bat an eye.
Me too. Works great for me and the tranny shifts MUCH smoother with Royal Purple gear oil
Old 10-12-2009, 02:53 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bondami
Let me offer a different perspective on Oils Synthetic or otherwise. I have been a long haul Trucker for many years, These engines have an unbelievable duty cycle.. and the are expected to run 800,000 miles as a rule.

I used Delo and Shell Rotella (both standard petroleum oils) for years in my used trucks, and with 8 to 10,000 mile change intervals we saw the expected 800,000 miles life before an In-frame rebuild and re-sleeving.

When I bought my first new truck.. we started out using the Mobil synthetic blend and kept the change intervals at 12,000 miles (about one month under normal usage) and those two trucks are still running the 96 frieghtliner has 2.2 MILLION miles on the Series 60 Detroit diesel and is putting out 550 hp at 32 pounds of boost. my 1999 Peterbuilt with a Detroit set at 550 HP is still going at at 1.75 million miles. both these trucks have Dana axles and Dana transmissions running on full syntethetic oils. and we have had 0 failures in the engines.. I have replaced injectors and waterpumps the Turbos are still on the trucks..

I have not seen a performance improvement other than the longevity issue, but these engines are loaded hard for hours at a time at WOT climbing hills etc.. Just pulling the passes thru Idaho can take 6-to 8 hours of wide open full boost pulling at low vehicle speeds and 200 + degree temps.

So the synthetic blends and pure synthetics in the gearboxes have extended the life of these by double ... so far. And when you consider an Inframe rebuild on one of these averages $25,000 and can be higher..

But the real question is do I use them in my street rod or the vette.. yes I do.. (and i actually use the Mobil Delvac to break in engines and cams as they have Zinc in the additive package that has been removed from automotive oils.)

Just info from a different perspective, hope it helps
WOW! That's quite a positive testimonial.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:00 PM
techvette
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It comes down to preference. I have seen a couple of high mileage engines beat to **** and they lasted WAY longer than I thought they would have. Both were running RP. It's only a couple more bucks than M1, and it's locally made (Houston area). They sponsor local racing events, etc. Besides, it can't hurt with the extreme summer temperatures we see down here.

I still only run it 5000 miles before changing it out. What's 50 bucks every now and then to keep your motor healthy longer?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run it in my DD as well as my Vette. I change the oil every 6 months or 6,000 whichever comes first. As far as I can tell, this is an excellent oil.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:09 AM
gaeecho9r
Racer

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
Me too. Works great for me and the tranny shifts MUCH smoother with Royal Purple gear oil
I ran only mobil one, I tryed royal purple with their oil filter and it made the engine quieter I have had this car 9 years ,it also seems to run a little smoother idle and better gas mileage..dyno tests on horsepower tv don't lie also try using extreme oil boast with it....

Get notified of new replies

To Comment on Royal Purple Oil

Quick Reply: Comment on Royal Purple Oil