C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering Rack Fluid Line Disconnect Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:06 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Steering Rack Fluid Line Disconnect Problem

Im taking the steering rack out of my car. The flare nuts for the fluid lines on the rack wont come loose. Im using a flare wrench, but the wrench slips on the nut. The lines where broke losse 13 years ago when I had the rack bushings changed to urethane by a shop. I hope they didnt use some form of locktite, as they seems too tight

Any advice before I resort to cutting the lines?

Whats the best source for new lines? Looks like chevy dealer, a rarity, or custom hose outfit.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Use vice grips on the flarenut. It will usually loosen the nut. You shouldn't have to cut the line.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Mike, I changed the rack on mine this spring. It had morning sickness symptoms. I'm not sure if our setups are the same but what I did was remove the rack and work on it on my bench. It was much easier that way. I removed the lines at the pump, pulled that, then the rack.

I made my own lines using parts of the stock lines, to run a cooler. Mine didn't have one.

I have a new pressure line if you want it, it came with my rebuilt rack. They are pretty inexpensive though so it might not be worth the cost of shipping.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:55 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383vett
Use vice grips on the flarenut. It will usually loosen the nut. You shouldn't have to cut the line.
I was thinking about that too, but I didnt want to ruin the nuts. A last resort before cutting the lines.

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Mike, I changed the rack on mine this spring. It had morning sickness symptoms. I'm not sure if our setups are the same but what I did was remove the rack and work on it on my bench. It was much easier that way. I removed the lines at the pump, pulled that, then the rack.

I made my own lines using parts of the stock lines, to run a cooler. Mine didn't have one.

I have a new pressure line if you want it, it came with my rebuilt rack. They are pretty inexpensive though so it might not be worth the cost of shipping.
I didnt think the rack could come out with the lines connected to it. The lines hit the frame, but Ill check that again tonight.

I saw the lines connected at the pump, Ill investigate that option too. Maybe take the pump out if it looks like it will come out easily.

Im changing my rack to the quick ratio. Didnt you recently change out your quick ratio?

Thanks guys, especially the hose offer.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
I was thinking about that too, but I didnt want to ruin the nuts. A last resort before cutting the lines.

I didnt think the rack could come out with the lines connected to it. The lines hit the frame, but Ill check that again tonight.

I saw the lines connected at the pump, Ill investigate that option too. Maybe take the pump out if it looks like it will come out easily.

Im changing my rack to the quick ratio. Didnt you recently change out your quick ratio?

Thanks guys, especially the hose offer.
Give it a look over, it was easy to do that way. My engine bay is pretty gutted so it may not work for your setup. I think mine had the quick ratio, and I ended up a normal ratio. I can't tell the difference.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:24 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one where I had to remove lines with rack as Aardwolf said. cannot say for sure if it is the same as your.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:32 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

I checked the service manual. The L98 and LT1 have the same rack as the ZR1, but different pump and hoses. Ill wrestle with my options tonight.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:43 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

One thing you might want to do before vice gripping the nut is to put a vice grip around the flarenut wrench if you have room. This can keep the wrench from spreading and might make a difference.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:27 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

been there, done that, have the bloody knuckles to prove it.

took a long bar, braced it against the flare nut, wrapped it several times with a large hammer. nut unscrewed without further problem.

when you install it next time, use a liberal amount of anti seize; other wise the nut is sure to seize again.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I'll be curious of your impressions with the different ratio. I believe they are 15.5:1 (2.36 turns lock to lock) and 13.0:1 (1.96 turns lock to lock). My car is an '88 Z52, I have the stock rack sitting here. Turning the shaft with a crescent wrench it looks to be just about two turns, I'd say 1.9 by eyeball. I got a rebuilt rack from the for sale section, extra parts someone was selling that they had for their track car. It has a poly bushing, and normal ratio. Eyeballing it the total turns looked like 2.25 to me. I decided to use the different ratio because I figured I wouldn't be able to tell the difference since there isn't much of one.

I've read posts about people loving the fast rack but I haven't been able to tell the difference yet. I've also heard about some road track people going to the slower ratio for better steering too.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

I used an 18mm crows foot and a really long (24") extension. It worked for me, good luck to you.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:13 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the suggestions. None worked so I bend the lines down so they could get past the frame and then cut the high pressure hose. It took a few seconds with a brass rod and hammer. Once out and on the floor, it took large vise grips and considerable force to get the fittings loose. No way they would have come out in the car.

Luckily the other half of the high pressure hose fitting at the pump came right off, even though the wrench had to go through the pulley.

Napa said they have replacement hoses.

The steering rack has to come out because my front cover/crack seal needs replacing. Oil is coming from the inside of the damper and dripping down. New engine with old seal from crate engine equals failed seal. Compliments of my engine builder.

Since I have the rack out, Ill be trying the quick ratio steering rack, but Ill keep the old in case I dont like it.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZR1 MK
Since I have the rack out, Ill be trying the quick ratio steering rack, but Ill keep the old in case I dont like it.
Did you notice a difference between the two ratios?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:46 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Did you notice a difference between the two ratios?
I just got back from vacation and need to get settled in before I start to put the rack in. Ill report on the changes for street, but as of now, I dont have track dates planned till next year.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Rack Fluid Line Disconnect Problem

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Fluid Line Disconnect Problem