C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Corvette Horn issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:42 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette Horn issues

Hey all I have an 85 and my horn isn't working. When I depress the horn button on the steering wheel I hear a click under the dash, seems to be coming from the passanger side of the car but no horn. From my limited experience I would assume the click is the relay so the horn button is probly working.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:03 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Check if there is power going to the horns by using a test light while someone pushes the horn button. If the test light lights up its the horns, if it doesn't light its the relay or the wiring...WW
Old 05-14-2011, 09:05 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

Great idea where are the horns located at? I'm not near the car now.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:28 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by pghjeeper
Great idea where are the horns located at? I'm not near the car now.
On my 89 there's one on each side of the car, down in the space next to the radiator all the way to the front..Each one has a weather pac plug that snaps into it.. They are hooked up in parallel with the one on the drivers side wired first and the passenger side second...WW
Old 05-14-2011, 11:15 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My 88 also has two horns, one on each side down at the very front below the areas where headlights are when the hood is up, i.e. to the outside of the radiator. I trust you know what a horn looks like. If not, it is kind of round and about 5 in. in diameter with flattened sides and then an opening that looks like a small version of the speakers used in basketball arenas. Should be fairly easy to figure out whether it is getting power.

BTW, my biggest problem with my horns is that they sound so wimpy I am embarassed to use them. My wife even comments on this and wants to get me new ones -- anyone know of a source to get some that sound better, i.e., when I blow the horns, I want folks to hear it!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:51 PM
MichaelM
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 84 and yes there are two horns, like everyone has said - one on each side in the area next to the lights and radiator.

I had wimpy horns as well. I shopped around online and found some places that had used C4 parts. They had two 84 horns that I bought and they work fine.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:15 AM
pghjeeper
Racer

Like I said I can hear the relay click when I hit the horn button but nothing after that. I'll check with a test light tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:44 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

If you remove the center information panel on the 85 .... .....you will find a SECOND (inline) fuse for the horn. This may be your problem.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

OK did a check with a test light when I hit the horn button I have power to the horns but nothing else. So I thought its probably the horns that are messed up. I searched around for a direct replacment but bothing local. So I called a pick and pull and the owner is holding a complete set of 4 70's caddy horns for me with the mounts and jumper wires for 25.00. Hope this works out would be cool to have the 4 caddy horns on there loud as hell I can imigine.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:48 PM
LanceSmart
3rd Gear

Default 1985 horn location

I have looked all around the front of the car, by the radiator, below the headlights, and I still can not find the horns. I do get the clicking sound in the middle of the dash so I assume the relay is working. If someone can help me I would appreciate it. The next step is a repair manual. Yes, I do know what a normal horn looks like.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LanceSmart
I have looked all around the front of the car, by the radiator, below the headlights, and I still can not find the horns. I do get the clicking sound in the middle of the dash so I assume the relay is working. If someone can help me I would appreciate it. The next step is a repair manual. Yes, I do know what a normal horn looks like.
Open your hood, find your passenger side headlight assembly, look down below the headlight and you will see the horn on the panel floor area (see attached). The left side horn is in the same place on the oposite side.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 AM
LanceSmart
3rd Gear

Default Horn Location

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
Open your hood, find your passenger side headlight assembly, look down below the headlight and you will see the horn on the panel floor area (see attached). The left side horn is in the same place on the oposite side.
Thank you for the excellent photo. I was able to locate the screw holes where the horns used to be. Now I have to find out why the previous owner removed them and figure out the wiring.....life is good.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:40 PM
Tommie40
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by cuengineer
My 88 also has two horns, one on each side down at the very front below the areas where headlights are when the hood is up, i.e. to the outside of the radiator. I trust you know what a horn looks like. If not, it is kind of round and about 5 in. in diameter with flattened sides and then an opening that looks like a small version of the speakers used in basketball arenas. Should be fairly easy to figure out whether it is getting power.

BTW, my biggest problem with my horns is that they sound so wimpy I am embarassed to use them. My wife even comments on this and wants to get me new ones -- anyone know of a source to get some that sound better, i.e., when I blow the horns, I want folks to hear it!

I am/have been EXTREMELY temped to put 4 blaster horns on my '85 vette, 2 under the front and 2 up under the rear. Just getting tired of these impatient little SH$$ behind me not realizing that not everyone's in a hurry to get somewhere, but they get mad when they go around me blowing the horn and i leave them sitting in the dust about a mile up the road, just walking away from them like they were sitting still, LMAO .

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette Horn issues

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette Horn issues