C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone using the Accel dfi Gen 7 stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 07:03 PM
frodo84
Uneducated overachiever
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Default Anyone using the Accel dfi Gen 7 stuff?

I am looking for input, thinking about using this stuff. Is it as good as I am hearing? Any comments are welcome, thanks!
Old 04-24-2002, 05:48 PM
jburnett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anyone using the Accel dfi Gen 7 stuff? (frodo84)

I've had the opportunity to play with it a little bit, but I don't have much experience with it yet. I've been a DFI user for about 8 years and I'm still running the old 6.32 version in my 90. I've gotten so comfortable with it I just haven't changed. I do have considerable experience with the FAST (FelPro) system and the Electromotive TEC2 (and hopefully TEC3 real soon). The Gen 7 DFI is VERY similar to the FAST unit (VERY VERY SIMILAR) from what time I got to play with it. Any of the units that offer wide-band O2 capability and volumetric efficiency tables and an interpretive (self-tuning) feature make the entire process so much simpler. When I started with this stuff I literally had to build every table in my DFI, now the new systems do it for you and all that is left is minor fine tuning. So in a roundabout answer to your question: Yes, the Gen 7 DFI stuff is pretty killer...But won't be anything compared to Electromotive's new TEC3. Electromotive has without a doubt the best ignition system and mapping of any aftermarket set-up with their DIS ignitions!!
-Jeb Burnett
Old 05-16-2002, 12:26 AM
torquejunky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone using the Accel dfi Gen 7 stuff? (jburnett)

Jeb,
I'm very interested in the TEC3 system but have seen some conflicting information. Do you know if it can use a wide band O2 sensor for fuel control? I downloaded the manual & marketing materials from the electromotive web site and they only speak of a 4 wire heated O2 sensor. On the other hand Car Craft had a recent issue covering engine management systems that lists the TEC 3 as having wide band O2 capability. I also see where electromotive has a part number for a wide band O2 sensor. I'm not sure what to think. I know I could connect a wide band to one of the global inputs and data log it, but I'm not sure if I can use it for feedback control of fuel trim. Do you know? Do you sell their stuff?
Old 05-16-2002, 12:34 PM
jburnett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Anyone using the Accel dfi Gen 7 stuff? (torquejunky)

Ummm...Yes, Yes, and Yes... Both the Tec2 and Tec3 have wideband O2 capability and full sequential capability as well as the ability to use either a MAP (speed density) or MAF based system. I'm not a real big fan of some of their personnel (who shall remain nameless, Fred, oops); but their product is first rate. They actually developed the DIS (direct ignition system) technology and are paid a royalty on every car using it! Their ignition control is actually what makes their system stand above the others out there. If I was going to switch from my old 6.32 DFI I would probably go with an Electromotive if only for this reason. Let me know what you're interested in and I'll get you a quote.
-Jeb
Old 05-16-2002, 02:16 PM
torquejunky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Anyone using the Accel dfi Gen 7 stuff? (jburnett)

Thanks Jeb, I'll e-mail my specs.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using the Accel dfi Gen 7 stuff?

Quick Reply: Anyone using the Accel dfi Gen 7 stuff?