C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transmission Tunnel - Started a carpet fire!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Lucky Kid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Tunnel - Started a carpet fire!

I just went for a spin and it started smoking... I pulled into my driveway and turned it off looking for causes.

It appears that the transmission tunnel is REALLY HOT, it occured in the same stop as this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...3496-fire.html

I put a bunch of water on it to cool it down.

I bought this thing not running due to a blown head gasket. I had the heads freshened and just got done timing it. Its still missing on a cyclinder I think, but it should be timed right.

I'm really starting to lose it with this car....

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Lucky Kid (Roy)
Old 06-19-2011, 04:57 PM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Probably heat coming off of the exhaust due to running lean, would be my guess. Get the engine running properly before driving it any further.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:23 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Why would you drive it running on 7 cylinders is the first question. It could be the cat smoking hot with raw fuel if a bad ignition for the dead cylinder and raw fuel going through the cat. Is the cat plugged if so it will get very hot too. I am amazed the plastic in the tunnel did not melt to be honest if you could get the carpet on fire.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Lucky Kid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Why would you drive it running on 7 cylinders is the first question. It could be the cat smoking hot with raw fuel if a bad ignition for the dead cylinder and raw fuel going through the cat. Is the cat plugged if so it will get very hot too. I am amazed the plastic in the tunnel did not melt to be honest if you could get the carpet on fire.
I got it running on all 8(Distributor Cap). Plugs looked good (tan not white). I ran it again, much better this time, but the tunnel still got really hot.

The pipe has about 1/2" of space between it and the tunnel.

I went out and bought header wrap and wrapped that area. And yet again it got very hot.

I have an aftermarket exhaust with no cats. Is this a problem with aftermarket exhausts? Smog pump delete?

I can't imagine that having the exhaust "shifted" 1" would start a car fire and it would be considered standard operation. I am afraid I will be fixing the wrong problem by just bending the exhaust away from this spot.

Help is very much appreciated!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:40 PM
yellowvette1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(pics) -or it did not happen
Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
What he said.

Cat's run real hot when the engine runs rich.

Zora Arkus-Duntov himself burned a prototype 'vette to the ground at
Pike's Peak that way.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

he mentioned he doesnt have cats so dont think thats an issue, do think he's dumping raw fuel. buying that non running was your first mistake, putting money into it is your 2nd one, sell it, sell it for parts, or park it, you'll never be happy. your trans could also be overheating, I've seen several trans fluid fires, if its not adjusted right you will build friction heat big time

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 06-21-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:50 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

1/2 in from the floorboard you think that may contribute?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Lucky Kid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
he mentioned he doesnt have cats so dont think thats an issue, do think he's dumping raw fuel. buying that non running was your first mistake, putting money into it is your 2nd one, sell it, sell it for parts, or park it, you'll never be happy. your trans could also be overheating, I've seen several trans fluid fires, if its not adjusted right you will build friction heat big time
I'm going to dig my way out! I think I see light at the bottom!

I thought it was fuel too, but it still did it now that its running on 8 and I have the heat wrap added. I am going to advance the timing and see if that helps, maybe its too retarded. I don't know if I took it right in the first place, It was running on 7 at the time.

The car does lack throttle response and falls on its face at 3K.

I am also going to bend the exhaust as much as I can away from the tunnel and see how it goes. The trans is leaking, but only drips.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:45 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I respect your confidence in your abilities, I used to buy non runnin 'things' dragem home and fixem, keep track of the price you paid for the car and how much you're spending, these like boats sometimes, a hole in the water you throw money into. next time you drive it , dont put your hand on it , but, put your hand close and see how hot the trans. pan is, one of those cheap laser thermomoters from harbor frieght would be a good purchase, not just for this. mufflers plugged with catylitic converter parts, would cause this also. your statement bout losing power at 3000 got me thinkin bout that. just had it happen to mine.

Last edited by oldalaskaman; 06-22-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Tunnel - Started a carpet fire!

Quick Reply: Transmission Tunnel - Started a carpet fire!